Jaguar Forum banner

JLR to cut number of UK dealerships from 83 to 20 within two years

2K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  Coolcity 
#1 ·
I doubt major cities in the UK will be affected but a kick in teeth nonetheless!

Article here.

#2 ·
here's the full explanation in plain English...

‘We will adapt our customer journey for our future clients, providing multiple touchpoints, delivering leading luxury experiences and creating a customer centric culture.

#3 ·
[emoji23]

More like the dealers are closing because they haven’t had anything to sell for two years and what they had no one was buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gripper
#4 ·
The upside might be a lot more Jaguar independant garages opening as the techs and mechanics at the dealers get made redundant.

#5 ·
And then in 10 years when the current crop (or at least the last 10-15 years worth) of Jaguars start to get scrapped, they'll all be out of work as Jaguar have decided to go into the ultra luxury market with much lower numbers of vehicles being sold.

#12 ·
Is it like a “customer centric culture”?😗

#14 ·
Even if it seems a bit drastic I for one think this sounds like a move in the right direction and look forward to see what else Jaguar have up their sleeve.

#16 ·
Direct sales isn't going well for Mercedes, although it is early days. Some manufacturers have looked at Tesla and decided they want a bit of that, the Chinese seem to have gone down the traditional franchise route though. A couple of £100k + electric Jaguars isn't going to save them, they could well be one of the first big names to disappear in the EV war.

#17 ·
The Tesla experience is ok.
However, I'm not at all sure if I would by one new , using the same experience.
Very similar to buying from Argos.

#20 ·
I wonder how all the dealers who spent the required £millions turning their Jaguar showrooms into marble palaces feel?
Pity the majority didn't also appear to invest in their staff or their policies. No point being in a delightful and palatial dealership when you're treated like trash by the staff.

#25 ·
Donnelly's are great :)

When we picked up the iPace I was told that they were likely to remain a dealer, but they are to be expected to buy their cars outright up front.
Our sales chap was concerned about this practice and wasn't sure if it was sustainable for them.
He couldn't imagine them shelling out nearly £1.5million on the new Jaguars and Land/Range Rovers that they would normally have sitting in the showroom, not to mention their demo cars.

#26 ·
Donnelly's are great :)

When we picked up the iPace I was told that they were likely to remain a dealer, but they are to be expected to buy their cars outright up front.
Our sales chap was concerned about this practice and wasn't sure if it was sustainable for them.
He couldn't imagine them shelling out nearly £1.5million on the new Jaguars and Land/Range Rovers that they would normally have sitting in the showroom, not to mention their demo cars.
perhaps with this business model a dealer might be more inclined to offer further incentives to shift motors?

#27 ·
What, like customer service and care? Now that I'll believe when I see it!

Reactions: DAVENN
#28 ·
The thing is... The majority of JLR dealers, who may have been a joint venture in years gone by, are vastly overrun with LRs now. Our "local" Leeds dealer, while JLR, only seems to have about 3 Jags on show and the rest of the place is mostly LRs. It won't be a massive ordeal for most of them as they've dwindled thier Jag stock over the past few years anyway and upped LRs. Just the new defender will be covering most of thier income I imagine at the moment.

#29 ·
I’ve heard a lot of the reason for that is JLR have been prioritising LR and not manufacturing anywhere near as many Jaguars during the chip shortage which is why most dealers have very little stock of them.

Reactions: DAVENN
#35 ·
I'd take anything that guy says with a large pinch of salt. He's clearly one of those who just gathers snippets of news then turns it into his own little YT "reality" show.

Look, this is no real surprise, Jaguar have already stated they intend to go all electric by 2025 with 3 models to begin with I believe, all in the luxury segment but no doubt with a sports theme. But it's not a mass market.

Think of the likes of Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati etc, they don't have a dealer on every corner. Jaguar (or their owners) have tried to compete with the likes of BMW, Mercedes etc. for a while now but they're just not that sort of marque. Big saloons haven't been major sellers for a while for anybody, so Jag have had to diversify with the SUVS, but could you ever see a Jaguar hatchback like the 1 series or A class?

My main concern would be that they have gone down the EV route too early. There's already talk that the ban on sales of new ICE vehicles will be extended to 2035 and I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't get stretched further as there is still a lot of opposition to the ban (rightly so in my opinion).

The LR/RR side of the business will carry Jaguar for now, the real danger is that if the change in direction doesn't work and TATA decide enough is enough. Somebody will carry the brand forward I'm sure, but none of us want to see it become another piece of Chinese tat.

#34 ·
Not sure his video is entirely correct... He's said LR have no EV's at present and have nothing planned over the next few years. The all electric RR is due in 2024.

Reactions: ChrisSB
#36 ·
I sadly suspect, nay predict, that is exactly what will happen - within 5 or 10 years TATA will sell Jaguar to the highest bidder, that bidder will be Chinese, and Jaguar as we remember it will disappear.

Reactions: Coolcity
#39 ·
Yes it will be a sad day if that happens. It wouldn't affect me personally from the point of view of a customer as I'll be 73 by then, if I make it that far. A lot can change in 10 years though, strange days at the moment and here are going to be a lot of changes in the automotive world - and who thought they would ever be owned by Ford?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.