Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Toyota Land Cruiser can pretty much do it all, although not quite as luxurious but makes up for that with reliability. A bit ugly as well lol We drove around parts of Australia in one with confidence.

Shogun isn't far off either with capability, although I found it quite agricultural.

For sheer ability and in luxury there isn't much else out there, but as you say I think they majority fit into the latter requirement.

Super saloon with V8 that's not German, well I guess this also suggests why the German stuff is so popular. They do offer a wide range of engines and performance levels.

The Lexus GSF comes to mind.

·
Administrator
30,548 Posts
The Range Rover has one foot in the tractor camp & the other foot in the limo camp... it does that without compromise & that's something no other vehicle can do.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
My cousin has a Land Cruiser and reckons it's more agricultural then the Freelander she replaced with it.

Certainly not a car I'd fancy doing long distance in or going away for a weekend with. Great for the farm side of things, not so great for the other side of it.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Did anyone see Top Gear on Sunday with the new RR on it?

Amazing on road to the point it would rival most limos but absolutely incredible off road too.

100% the only car I've had to do everything with if the bank account permitted.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I keep telling myself I should buy a lottery ticket 😂

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
My cousin has a Land Cruiser and reckons it's more agricultural then the Freelander she replaced with it.

Certainly not a car I'd fancy doing long distance in or going away for a weekend with. Great for the farm side of things, not so great for the other side of it.
Crickey, just how old is the Land Cruiser you were in? I found it quiet and rather refined, although not Range Rover refined.

Hmm, I reckon that depends on where you are doing the long distance. The UK? Sure. But somewhere like Australia, Africa and such I think I'd rather do it in a Land Cruiser if you know what I mean!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Hers is a top spec 2009 with a 3.0 Diesel in it.

Sounds like a Massey Ferguson!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Serious question: Are there not BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. forums full of owners whining on about how awful their cars are? About how dreadful their dealerships are? It CANNOT be that Jags (and/or Land Rovers) are particularly unreliable and badly designed, surely??
(I particularly omitted names like Ford, Vauxhall, Tesla(!), Renault, etc as IMHO, they don't fall into the same "premium" catagory).
For more than 20 years now I’ve been driving only Mercedes E class and had all year models from 1989 to 2010. Usually kept them for 5 years and moved to next iteration of the model. While they were reasonably reliable it’s not that they were without any troubles and worries. Each one had its Achile heel. From wiring harnesses disintengrating, body rust, subframe rust, SBC end of life, chains etc. As you can imagine each one of those failures cost £‘000s to fix and as a preventive measure before that happening I would move to next model.
MB Dealer network - horror
MB indy network - for a really good one you have to be prepared to travel which sometime isn’t that easy and cheap when your car has a fault.
I still think E and S class are beautiful and proper Mercs but the brand is so watered down with the introduction of lesser models that I lost a desire of owning one. Now I hear MB is to drop those smaller cars from production and re-focus on higher tier models again, similar to Jaguar reinvention strategy but without that ridiculous push for Duracell power from 2025.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts