Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys today i had a weird incident, i was driving normally after a 100 km trip, suddenly the car stalled, no power steering, brake pedal hard, the shifter lights blinking, all lights on the instrument panel flashing, luckily it happened near a red light, turn signals working, i turned off the car then on everything back no normal like nothing ever happened, drove an additional 100 km without any problems.
i didn't loose power completely, but i noticed the clock went from 24 hrs setting to am-pm. And the display went to mileage instead of range in which i had it.

The supercharger coupler was recently replaced.

The only different thing i did was change fuel octane i was running 95 today i filled it up with 97 i had a little of 95 left in the tank.

Any ideas what could have caused this, its a scary incident could lead to an accident i was lucky to not be on the highway.

I ran scan while a managed to park in a safe spot, no error codes...

Some info i pulled up the next day, everything seems to work normally.

Fuel pressure ignition on.

Fuel pressure un startup.

Fuel pressure after warm up

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
2,001 Posts
Hi guys today i had a weird incident, i was driving normally after a 100 km trip, suddenly the car stalled, no power steering, brake pedal hard, the shifter lights blinking, all lights on the instrument panel flashing, luckily it happened near a red light, turn signals working, i turned off the car then on everything back no normal like nothing ever happened, drove an additional 100 km without any problems.
i didn't loose power completely, but i noticed the clock went from 24 hrs setting to am-pm. And the display went to mileage instead of range in which i had it.

The supercharger coupler was recently replaced.

The only different thing i did was change fuel octane i was running 95 today i filled it up with 97 i had a little of 95 left in the tank.

Any ideas what could have caused this, its a scary incident could lead to an accident i was lucky to not be on the highway.

I ran scan while a managed to park in a safe spot, no error codes...

Some info i pulled up the next day, everything seems to work normally.

Fuel pressure ignition on.
View attachment 187928

Fuel pressure un startup.

Fuel pressure after warm up

Sounds like an electrical issue. When did you install this custom display unit?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had it for a while now, i don't think it's related.

A guys told me this is a indication of water in fuel, i had previously filled the tank in a new gas station, so i believe that might be it, it's not uncommon for gas stations to do this where i live, i had a fuel pump die in a Jeep cause of this.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I have had it for a while now, i don't think it's related.

A guys told me this is a indication of water in fuel, i had previously filled the tank in a new gas station, so i believe that might be it, it's not uncommon for gas stations to do this where i live, i had a fuel pump die in a Jeep cause of this.
It should have a water in fuel sensor? Mine did, it pinged up a warning a few times but always went away.

Sounds electrical or software related to me as well. First thing I'd do is check the battery health, how old is the battery? After that I would check the CJB and AJB for water ingress.

I'm not sure if the ECU is in the same place with the XFR as my x250 Sportbrake, but on mine it's under the trim at the passenger windscreen wiper in the engine bay. Water can easily get under that windscreen trim and all that's there to protect the ECU is a little bit of plastic to route the water away. It's highly unlikely but worth a peek if no luck elsewhere.

·
Registered
21,309 Posts
I haven't identified the OP's country but whereas we take quality fuels for granted, I wonder if he's had a tank-full of sludge.
You know, something akin to our supermarket fuels. ;)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
If it was a one off, I wouldn't worry about it. Had the same thing happen to a Peugeot - all electrics cut out while driving but after switching off qnd back on again, all was fine. I put it down to a cosmic ray zapping the ECU but in truth never knew the reason and it didn't happen again. BTW, theflag is Chile.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys i have no water ingress cjb ajb, car is always in garage we don't have a lot of rain here.

I had previously fueled with 95 octane, maybe by adding higher octane made some sludge loose.

I never got a warning message, no error codes, i have been testing the car after this, it's like nothing ever happened. I had it start up and idle for around 30 min, took a short drive, it's like nothing ever happened.

The battery is around 2 years old, it's the OEM battery.

I'm just clueless of what happened, I'll get the fuel filter changed, and I'll try sucking up some gas from the bottom of the tank, see is there any water or sludge.

·
Registered
2010 Le Mans edition XFR
551 Posts
I had a similar problem when I first bought my XFR. I drove from the UK to France, 560 miles. The following day I went shopping and stopped at three shops. After the third stop, halfway round a roundabout, the car suddenly started running really rough, like it was on just 4 cylinders. I pulled over, switched off the engine, restarted it and it ran normally.
When I got home, I checked the battery and found it had a bad cell. A new battery sorted that problem and it's behaved perfectly ever since.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Due to your clock resetting, mileage indication change, your computer has done a reset, I had it on my mondeo once at 70mph on the motorway but the engine kept going all instruments went dead and all reset. Then back to normal and has been ever since. It seams this can happen at any time but thankfully not often. The same though would happen with a bad battery/connection or supply to the ECU. I would check a few connections if I were you. Fuel wouldn't reset your clock.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Its certainly in my view, an electronic issue.

If there was fuel starvation, you'd almost certainly get some form of engine stuttering and one or two fault codes. It shouldn't ever cause any issues with electronics as the battery will still have plenty of juice to run the ignition for at least a few minutes.

I suspect you'll have a lose connection somewhere, or very sporadic junction box issue. It could of course also just be a very rare glitch in the electronics that's essentially reset itself. Having some form of custom head unit fitted could indeed be the issue, if it's thrown a signal out at the rest of the car doesn't understand, it might cause issues there, especially since it looks like it's connected into the canbus somewhere too to pick up the fuel rail pressues etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, the custom head unit is connected to the auxiliary and gets power from the cigarette socket, it's not connected anyway to the canbus, it's like having a cel phone connected to the aux while charging.

I really don't think that will affect.
I do have a elm 327 obd dongle running torque all the time, i have had is for a while without issues.

Regarding a dead battery cell sounds like it could be it.

I also suspect a loose ground somewhere, the supercharger was off las week for coupler replacement, does anybody know if there's ground Cable removing involved in removing the supercharger?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Check battery connections, maybe battery was disconnected during engine repairs??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it was disconnected, checked out fine both poles are firmly connected, I'll check each cell with a multimeter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

This is pretty much what happened.

I have been testing and driving the car the following days, it's like nothing ever happened.
Started right away, i let it idle for 30 min, took it out for a spin, parked at the supermarket got some groceries, got back drove home not one sign of the problem... I just feel mentally paranoid, and unsafe what if it's happens on the highway?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a similar problem when I first bought my XFR. I drove from the UK to France, 560 miles. The following day I went shopping and stopped at three shops. After the third stop, halfway round a roundabout, the car suddenly started running really rough, like it was on just 4 cylinders. I pulled over, switched off the engine, restarted it and it ran normally.
When I got home, I checked the battery and found it had a bad cell. A new battery sorted that problem and it's behaved perfectly ever since.
I think you nailed it, i just tested my cells with a multimeter, the first cell next to the positive reads 1.5v, second one 1.8v, and all the other 2.0v.
I don't know what your reading was but i believe my battery has 2 defective cells.

My voltage usually reads 11.7v, after it's been sitting overnight. It has no problem starting though, fires up immediately.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
I think you nailed it, i just tested my cells with a multimeter, the first cell next to the positive reads 1.5v, second one 1.8v, and all the other 2.0v.
I don't know what your reading was but i believe my battery has 2 defective cells.

My voltage usually reads 11.7v, after it's been sitting overnight. It has no problem starting though, fires up immediately.
11.7 is very low. You should have about 12.6 after sitting for a while.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts