Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at an XF SV8 08 model at present.

One owner from new with 3 stamps in the book. However I'm concerned that the first stamp doesn't appear until 2012.

Should the car of had a run in service/inspection also? Or would this not bother anyone?

1st service 13359 miles on the 03-01-12
2nd service 25435 miles on the 12-02-13
3rd service 32200 on the 12-01-14

Any advice would be great. Also anything to look for at those miles and year. Also what should have been done by now servicing wise major/minor services etc. Also any recalls for that year?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Super Moderator
11,450 Posts
Should have had a service annually, odd the first one at 4 years old.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly my thinking aswel ... doesn't look to have done the average miles so possibly just used for short runs for some guys wife but even still.

Stuff like this annoys me especially when the car looks very good and has ALOT of extras and low miles.

·
Super Moderator
11,450 Posts
It's possible the original service book went AWOL and a new one acquired in 2012 I suppose. A dealership should be able to provide service history from the start I believe. VIN/Reg No.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers ill see if they will give me the vin number.

Thanks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Cheers ill see if they will give me the vin number.

Thanks!
If you can get the vin number, sign up to the topix website and enter the vin. That will tell you if there are any recalls outstanding.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Very strange about the initial services as it should have had one each year. However, it is a very low mileage over the first few years so maybe these were missed. It's not as big an issue on a big petrol engine as on a diesel but 4+ years is a bit long. Why not ask the seller?
There were quite a few updates in the early years so I'd check that all of these have been done as it may not have happened if it wasn't in for service.
I'd not really be too bothered about the lack of initial servicing provided mileage is accurate. These engines are just about bomb proof.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Unless the seller can prove, and I mean prove, that the mileage is genuine, then my advice is 'walk away'.
To me it smells.

Paul.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking into this more it looks like the cars been serviced through Stratstone, where it was bought from new, however its not in the book but on their system. Seller wasnt aware of this. Servicing start at 3rd service in the book.

Strange but im going to confirm everything prior to purchase, hpi clear which is good and dealer seem to have a very good reputation. Car seems to have been bought as part package deal which some other cars from a main dealer.

·
18,857 Posts
Where are you buying from Chris, are you buying it locally, through fleabay?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Chris.

I hope the car checks out and good luck with the purchase.

These really are brilliant , you have made an excellent choice.
(Fellow sv8 owner)

TTT

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Sounds very hopeful if the dealer has the record. Hope all is found to be OK and they are pretty rare beasts. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,450 Posts
Looking into this more it looks like the cars been serviced through Stratstone, where it was bought from new, however its not in the book but on their system.

Might be worth asking for a print out of this.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Some dealers are very lax about filling in the service book record. I've often had to go back and insist that they do it. Perhaps they just rely on their online records.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've been told that our tractor isn't having a service book, it's all on computer! Don't believe that.

·
Super Moderator
11,450 Posts
It's probably all a ploy to encourage dealer servicing rather than independents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well sorry to report I don't come on this site very often because I have not experienced any problems with my 2008 SV8 maybe as I only use it for motorway use and I have only clocked up 35000 miles but I thought I would point out to SV8 users that a major service is important every 10 years to maintain the gear box especially. Bit pricey but worth it for a great car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 6 yearly service isn't cheap on the xfr either (maybe same on sv8) as the spark plugs are due for replacing.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I'd (and I did) totally ignore the service schedule in terms of age. Things like the spark plugs and gearbox fluid are mostly down to mileage and more importantly the type of journeys done. I do mostly short urban journeys so that's lots of cold starts and lots of wear on the gearbox.

If you're mostly doing motorway miles then that's much less of an issue.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I'm with you on this one Phil.. my car spends the vast majority of it's life at speeds a lot of cars don't usually see. Therefore the fact that it's technically overdue a service worries me not one jot.

An hour at 1500rpm when doing 50mph+ is a lot more miles than the average commuter does in an hour.. :D

As a sad G*t (Apologies Wilf), I have had a spreadsheet running since car purchase recording amongst other things what the car thinks the average MPH has been since the last fill up:

Only 3 times in 188 fill ups (2436 gallons!!) has it ever been below 30MPH AVG...

Tractors always used to go by rev/hours which is far more sensible in my book.. don't know if they still do?

[/end boring post]

Reactions: Sdotk
1 - 20 of 21 Posts