Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 2012 xf-s and I have a couple of problems with it.

First is the drivers side front suspension knocks pretty bad. I have found the problem but need some advice.

It has recently had a spring changed due to the old one failing mot. I'm wondering if the wrong type of spring has been put on as the shock absorber shaft sticks trough the top mount more than the opposite site and the nut can't be screwed on any more as it has bottomed out. Please see picture and video to see what you think. I do know that there are different tyoe of springs for these due to research. Possibly a non-dynamic spring has been put on my dynamic system?

The second problem is the parking aid, when in reverse the camera comes on for a couple of seconds then it just shuts down saying parking aid not available, contact dealer with a long loud beep. I've done a test on sensors with the jaguar diagnostics and they have passed. Any other thoughts?

Thanks Automotive tire Drilling Machine tool Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Drilling Machine tool Gas Automotive wheel system

Registered
馃彺鬆仹鬆仮鬆伋鬆仯鬆伌鬆伩X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: CraigoSD1

Registered
Regarding the 'loose' shock strut I can't see how a spring would cause this problem as the spring has to compress regardless. Maybe the top mount has failed?

Regarding the parking aid I'd have a look through this thread:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Possible the mount has failed, just thought I'd ask as there are different part numbers for the same car but the difference is non-dynamic and dynamic springs.

Cheers for the thread.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's seems like there could be a washer missing on the shock under the top mount.

Regarding the camera issue, it is booked in at the garage not at my cost though so I'll leave it.

Registered
It has recently had a spring changed due to the old one failing mot.
"A" spring changed? Should they not be changed in pairs? Correctly, with the right hardware replaced...

Registered

Registered
I don't see any spacer or washer in that position on the front:
Font Art Auto part Diagram Drawing

Part 3 - Flange nut M8 - Damper to body
Part 7 - Nut M12 - Damper top mount
Part 14 - Cap - bump rubber - India models only

As we know, the Indian models have a higher ride height.

Registered
As a thought, with the car on level ground have you checked the top of the wheel arch to tyre/ground distance on both sides at the front?

Registered
As a thought, with the car on level ground have you checked the top of the wheel arch to tyre/ground distance on both sides at the front?
Scrub that thought, the top of the shock absorber should still tighten up fully even if the wrong (too short) spring is fitted.. :rolleyes:

Registered
Note we are talking about the active dampers.

Still, maybe no spacer?
That parts slide was for the "adaptive control damping" version.

Registered
Oops, my mistake, that's the rear. This is the front, still no spacer, bush or washer. Part number varies if it's a standard damper or a dynamic one.
Art Font Parallel Fashion accessory Diagram

Registered
It was Alan but for the rear ones.. :) Not that it really makes any difference in this discussion as the parts layout is all but identical.. except that there are two height sensors mentioned, one for the left and one for the right, I was under the impression that there was only one one the rear.. maybe that's only the Sportbrake which is air suspension anyway?.. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

EDIT: You got there just before me... :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts