Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

I have a post facelift 2011 Jaguar XFS 3 litre diesel. Am thinking about getting it remapped using Quantum Blue map. Does anyone have experience of this that they can share please, and would you recommend the remap.
Thanks

·
Registered
21,862 Posts
Have you considered a tuning box instead? Similar results and easily reversible.
Welcome to the forum BTW.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
It's not about more fast, it's about easily unleashing extra torque from the engine which makes it even better to drive and actually more economical.

·
Firm Rampant Member
18,293 Posts
Have you considered a tuning box instead? Similar results and easily reversible.
Welcome to the forum BTW.
Didn't you take your box of, sir, and don't miss it?

·
Firm Rampant Member
18,293 Posts
Good Evening,

I have a post facelift 2011 Jaguar XFS 3 litre diesel. Am thinking about getting it remapped using Quantum Blue map. Does anyone have experience of this that they can share please, and would you recommend the remap.
Thanks
A custom map with pre and post dynos is a good option.
My mate swears by Tdi tuning box'.
Bluefin do a good system but I'm not sure if they do one for your engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not about more fast, it's about easily unleashing extra torque from the engine which makes it even better to drive and actually more economical.
That's why I was thinking about doing a remap. I have had the car a few years, and enjoyed driving it more in dynamic mode as of late (which reduces the mpg significantly). I thought a remap would potentially give similar performance with better mpg.

So looking for some feedback from people that have gone down the remap or tuning box route.
Didn't suit me. I'm not going to get all preachy about it.
What box did you use. May I ask why you reverted back? Thanks

·
Registered
21,862 Posts
That's why I was thinking about doing a remap. I have had the car a few years, and enjoyed driving it more in dynamic mode as of late (which reduces the mpg significantly). I thought a remap would potentially give similar performance with better mpg.

So looking for some feedback from people that have gone down the remap or tuning box route.

What box did you use. May I ask why you reverted back? Thanks
A "Tunit" box that I'd previously had on my XF-S. It had "an" effect on performance although not huge and when I took it off, quite honestly I didn't notice the difference.
I took it off because the increase in boost pressure, even at setting 8/10, would cause the boost relief valve to open which is like hitting a brick wall if you've never experienced it. I learned to control it by short shifting but started to think about my inlet manifolds and the common problem of cracks.
Without the box, I can red-line the engine without issue and it feels so much smoother.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A custom map with pre and post dynos is a good option.
My mate swears by Tdi tuning box'.
Bluefin do a good system but I'm not sure if they do one for your engine.
I have seen the Quantum Blue Remap as an option. I was only advised of upsides, better performance/mpg etc. Didn't appear to be any negatives from what I was told.

I have read conflicting views on whether a remap is better than a tuning kit. Don't know anyone personally that has had it done. So appreciate the comments here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See my comments in this post re "my mate's" experience of his tuning box.

TDI Tuning for XF Sportbrake 3.0
Thanks, really helpful.

How long has 'your friend' been using the tuning box. Any noticeable downsides?

Was it easy to install? Any presumably 'your friend' can still jump between sport and dynamic mode with no issues. Does it suffer a bit in the wet.

Think this may be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
O/K I get that. I would be worried about boost pressure though. If everything on the induction system is in good condition MAP sensor etc then may be. I would run it passed the insurance company or at worst inform them. Some companies are very touchy to any mods at all.

·
Firm Rampant Member
18,293 Posts
Thanks, really helpful.

Was it easy to install? Any presumably 'your friend' can still jump between sport and dynamic mode with no issues. Does it suffer a bit in the wet.

A box is, with practice, a 5 mins job.
However you MUST allow all the electronics to shutdown fully first.
Buy extra long cable ties.
I put foil insulation over my mate's box ( ooh)
No problems using any mode, except ECO....that's just for girls.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Thanks, really helpful.

The fuel rail pressure sensor plug is a right PITA to get the clip undone on "my mates" engine as it's directly at the 6 o'clock position. Easy to connect to once undone. As the box is a dual circuit, it also needs to connect to the inlet pressure sensor, much easier to access. Run the loom back to near the front of the fusebox, locate with cable ties and it'll look OEM. Locate the box neatly under the fusebox upper plastic trim cover, run the wires so they don't interfere with refitting the cover. My mate's box is wrapped in some insulation to keep it snug. The install is not noticeable at all at a casual look.

There's no downsides as far as I can tell from driving the car. Yes, the boost pressure will be higher, the inlet manifolds or intercoolers haven't split yet... Every control in the car works as they did before, sport mode on the gearbox and dynamic too. I tend not to use sport mode on the diesels as this'll allow the engine to redline, way past where the torque falls off, unless I use it in sports and full manual on the paddles and short shift up. If my mate unplugs the tuning box and connects the bypass plug there's a noticeable loss of power/torque.

Up to you and your conscience if you inform your insurance company. Though what the previous owner may have fitted to the car that you didn't know was fitted..... My mate did inform his IC and they added "modified engine" for £30 extra.

Edit: The box has been fitted to the car for more than 2 years, a different band single channel before that but it didn't work as well and occasionally threw a DTC and check engine light. That make is no longer available, when I contacted them they said it's withdrawn as not suitable for that engine. I.E. they didn't test the map properly, they still make for other cars. Can't recall the manufacturer now.

Reactions: JaggerXF and FCS

·
Registered
Jag from Devon
12 Posts
I had mine done by a local tuning company and dynoed, R sport not S so started at 240, had it done about 18 months ago and was a very very big difference for me but then I wasnt going from the S. way more low end grunt and in dynamic is a real animal now (my insurance nearly doubled though with it declared so be aware)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Just as a footnote, I know of a man who lost his house and most of what he owned when he had an accident (his fault) the 3rd party sued him, insurance said they were not aware of some criteria and his insurance was void.
So it would be foolish to mod the car without telling them.

·
Registered
Jag from Devon
12 Posts
Just as a footnote, I know of a man who lost his house and most of what he owned when he had an accident (his fault) the 3rd party sued him, insurance said they were not aware of some criteria and his insurance was void.
So it would be foolish to mod the car without telling them.
as above, not worth it in any way to cut corners on insuring your Cat, :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts