Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boot leak and this is the second time I have had to remove the spare wheel etc to dry it out, The first time was November last in a period of very wet conditions and there were over 3” of water which had filled the sub woofer, checked the boot for a hole and all the trim but nothing was apparent, today noticed water between the spare and battery and stripped all out again, only 2” of water but of course we are experiencing a dry spell at the moment. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi and welcome, this is a known problem and is usually caused by the vents each side of the boot letting in water, there a few posts on this if you do a search, I think it involves removing the rear bumper to access them. Phil

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Hello & welcome. As Phil says probably that vent that is leaking, although it’s not been raining much lately suspect you may have been washing the car and that is what has leaked in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If there is a grommet in the boot floor it may be worth drilling a small hole in it to let the water drain away, I can't see it letting any water get in.

·
17,669 Posts
If there is a grommet in the boot floor it may be worth drilling a small hole in it to let the water drain away, I can't see it letting any water get in.
Errm - no.

Why drill a hole into a grommet and introduce another hole in the body work, that can potentially let in more water? Just because you can't see it letting water in, does not mean it won't.

There are other options:
  • You can simply mop out the water
  • Remove the gromment to let the water drain away before replacing the grommet again.
  • Open the boot on a sunny day and let it dry out
Or fix the initial problem and fix the vent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts