Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone.

I returned to my car after-work and noticed that my passenger side DRL was stuck on flickering on and off. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be. This happens with the headlight on automatic and switched fully off when the car is locked.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've tested the car battery with a multimeter and the voltage in the main large battery is reading 12.0 V.

·
Administrator
30,260 Posts
That is too low, so your issue is very likely down to that.

If the battery is relatively recent, try charging it. If not, try changing it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did think that's as rather low. I've completely disconcerted the battery and put the battery on a charger/conditioner. I'll seed if this makes a difference. I will look to get a new battery for it. 🤞 This fixed the issue. It's annoying that one side wouldn't turn off. Seems like these XFs are plagued with lots of electronic systems

·
Super Moderator
12,394 Posts
Highly complex
It is, there's a relay or some such that turns the DRL off when the indicator is indicating to complicate matters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've just reconnected the battery after a good charge up. It's over 14v now and holding well. I assume the lights being on all day at work drained it down. It is still on. I'll have a look into the relays. From what I remember in the engine bay fuse box there are approximately 3 that operate the lights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just took all the relays out of the engine bay and the lights did not turn off. The relays for the DRLs must be somewhere else.

Does anyone know where the relay for the DRLs are actually located around the vehicle?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks Horlics, looks like it could be an issue or moisture in the Central junction box. Does anyone know how easy this is to access? Is it in the footwell passenger side.

If this is the culprate, it could be a very expensive fix. Taffy mentioned £1200 fitted for his.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks Horlics, really helpful.

I've now found the area that was referenced in this articles. I've took the cover off and looked inside. The whole CJB looked bone dry with the exception of a little bit of blue around the bottom 3 wires of the C5 plug. On touching the connector the DRL light that was on has gone off. I've just sprayed all the contacts with electrical cleaner. I've put loads of dehumidifiers around the CJB opening under the driver's side.

I'll leave it over night and have a good look in the morning. Hopefully this may cure it, and remove any moisture that exists. A few weekends ago I did replace the power wash pump and cleaned the resivour out. I guess this is what the original culprite was, me cleaning it out. These really can't be sealed very well.

On another note, do you think Spray Dewatering spray may be useful on this.

My dad use to work for BT and they used this for removing moister from electronics and it has anti corrosion properties to prevent further corrosion. Personally Ive never heard of it but googling it, it does look ok.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gents, just took off all the plastic work around the CJB. These photos I've just taken.

The C5 plug does have blue showing round the bottom 3 wire. The inner socket of the plug has all it's pins and they don't look damaged. There's a very tiny amount of corrosion on these. Looks like I may have just catched this just in time. But there is moisture around the grey plastic insert.

There was a technical bulletin for this issue, where splices should be put in the wiring so moisture doesn't go all the way through.

Bulletin no. SB-10057687-7322. There a picture below of what should have been put in the wiring of the car in 2015.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
If the moisture has got as far as the plug, I think I would be splicing in new wires to a new plug after a moisture barrier. You are not going to get the moisture out of the wires with a spray.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good evening everyone.

I returned to my car after-work and noticed that my passenger side DRL was stuck on flickering on and off. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be. This happens with the headlight on automatic and switched fully off when the car is locked.
Gents, just took off all the plastic work around the CJB. These photos I've just taken.

The C5 plug does have blue showing round the bottom 3 wire. The inner socket of the plug has all it's pins and they don't look damaged. There's a very tiny amount of corrosion on these. Looks like I may have just catched this just in time. But there is moisture around the grey plastic insert.

There was a technical bulletin for this issue, where splices should be put in the wiring so moisture doesn't go all the way through.

Bulletin no. SB-10057687-7322. There a picture below of what should have been put in the wiring of the car in 2015.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had this issue same as all the others, passenger side DRL’s staying on even after switching everything off, car had been stood a while over Christmas. Followed the advise instructions and sure enough the C5 connector in the main control junction box had moisture/water in it. Cleaned it up with electrical spray cleaner made sure it was dry reconnected and no more problem. Thank you adding for the pictures and the write up. Very helpful.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Did you also replace the washer pump and splice in the block, as in the TSB? If not the problem will probably return.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Did you also replace the washer pump and splice in the block, as in the TSB? If not the problem will probably return.
And there is also a fair probability that the CJB may well have 'scrambled' the VIN.. in which case a battery disconnect will quite likely result in the 'Smart Key Not Found' warning if your car is keyless..

Dealers will say that the situation is unrecoverable and that a new CJB and then reprogramming is what is necessary..

@Onotole can reprogram second hand/pre used/pre loved CJB's though.. or new ones at less than a dealer would charge...

Reactions: AntF

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thank you for the information, you were spot on and probably saved me a small fortune.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts