Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 62 plate jaguar XF portfolio.
I am presently working on fitting illuminated door tread plates.
However I have hit a stop as my vehicle does not have the wiring already in place. I need the small plugs that will allow me to connect the vehicles wiring to the wiring already on the tread plates. Is it possible to buy these plugs as I contacted the main dealer who said I can't buy the plugs on their own I would need to buy 2 looms at over a grand each.!!
Also is it possible to retrofit an electric blind to the rear window.?
Thank you

·
Registered
218 Posts
There's instructions online to fit these in one of the forums. Also Hilton did a you tube video fitting a blind.
You might find the plugs & terminals at RS Componants!

·
Registered
218 Posts
This might help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi John
Thanks for your reply.
I was of the understanding that a 62 plate XF portfolio would already have the wiring in place so it would be just a case of plugging the tread plates in.
But my car does not have the wiring in so I cannot plug the tread plates in. I'm missing the female plug that would allow me to connect one end to the tread plate then connect the other end to the fuse box.
I asked the main dealer if they could provide me with the 2 small female plugs I need. But they will not sell me just the female plugs but could sell me 2 looms, 1 for each side, at a cost of over £1000 per loom which is scandalous.
Mike

·
Registered
168 Posts
Regarding the rear blind: fitting the rear blind is reasonably straight forward in regards to swapping the old shelf out and 'blind inclusive' shelf in. As well as the youtube vid referred to above (although I think Hilton just removed the shelf to get rid of some dead flies :) )there is also this one - plus there is/was a very good thread within the Modifications section of this forum that I followed which shows where everything plugs in. The wiring for the rear blind was already in my cars loom, so at the parcel shelf end it was simply to plug in the lead from the blind itself.

You will also be probably aware that you will also need the overhead panel (that houses the front interior courtesy lights) which has the correct combination of functions for your vehicle. Most of these panels that come up on auction sites that have the switch for the blind also have the centre sunroof switch (my car has no sunroof) so it too yonks to find the right one.

For the classic, these overhead panel part numbers are a variant xf 8x23-mbbv-? with the '?' pertaining to what selection of features/buttons are included.

Not an exhaustive list, but for example:
xf 8x23-mbbv-a = bog standard overhead panel with alarm sensors and no buttons
xf 8x23-mbbv-b = alarm sensors with only parking sensor on/off button in the brushed nickel section
xf 8x23-mbbv-d = alarm sensors with both the parking sensor on/off and the rear blind open/close buttons in the brushed nickel section
xf 8x23-mbbv-e = alarm sensors with only sunroof open/close button in the brushed nickel section

I needed variant 'd'. Worth noting that if you find one secondhand where the outer or brushed nickel finish is scratched, then its possible to swap the switches and the circuit board box that sits behind them into your existing one - again the wiring is already in that end of the loom (or at least it was on mine).

One other thing to bear in mind - which I also encountered and hadnt thought about before - is that there are no guarantees that the shelf you source with the blind in will have been set up with the same size/rating speakers as you may currently have. The shelf that I sourced came with factory fit speakers with Jag stamped all over them, which were bigger in size than my B&W system speakers but inferior rating and quality. The speaker covers on the new shelf were also bonded in place, so I had to not only spend a while carefully removing those, but also had to fit thin oversized speaker spacers to get the B&Ws in. That was the biggest phaff of the whole job.

Good luck with it - its a great mod when completed.(y)

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regarding the rear blind: fitting the rear blind is reasonably straight forward in regards to swapping the old shelf out and 'blind inclusive' shelf in. As well as the youtube vid referred to above (although I think Hilton just removed the shelf to get rid of some dead flies :) )there is also this one - plus there is/was a very good thread within the Modifications section of this forum that I followed which shows where everything plugs in. The wiring for the rear blind was already in my cars loom, so at the parcel shelf end it was simply to plug in the lead from the blind itself.

You will also be probably aware that you will also need the overhead panel (that houses the front interior courtesy lights) which has the correct combination of functions for your vehicle. Most of these panels that come up on auction sites that have the switch for the blind also have the centre sunroof switch (my car has no sunroof) so it too yonks to find the right one.

For the classic, these overhead panel part numbers are a variant xf 8x23-mbbv-? with the '?' pertaining to what selection of features/buttons are included.

Not an exhaustive list, but for example:
xf 8x23-mbbv-a = bog standard overhead panel with alarm sensors and no buttons
xf 8x23-mbbv-b = alarm sensors with only parking sensor on/off button in the brushed nickel section
xf 8x23-mbbv-d = alarm sensors with both the parking sensor on/off and the rear blind open/close buttons in the brushed nickel section
xf 8x23-mbbv-e = alarm sensors with only sunroof open/close button in the brushed nickel section

I needed variant 'd'. Worth noting that if you find one secondhand where the outer or brushed nickel finish is scratched, then its possible to swap the switches and the circuit board box that sits behind them into your existing one - again the wiring is already in that end of the loom (or at least it was on mine).

One other thing to bear in mind - which I also encountered and hadnt thought about before - is that there are no guarantees that the shelf you source with the blind in will have been set up with the same size/rating speakers as you may currently have. The shelf that I sourced came with factory fit speakers with Jag stamped all over them, which were bigger in size than my B&W system speakers but inferior rating and quality. The speaker covers on the new shelf were also bonded in place, so I had to not only spend a while carefully removing those, but also had to fit thin oversized speaker spacers to get the B&Ws in. That was the biggest phaff of the whole job.

Good luck with it - its a great mod when completed.(y)
Hi Eno
Thanks for the comprehensive reply on the window blind.
My car also has no sunroof but I'm considering having one fitted at a later date so I have bought an overhead switch with the parking button, the rear window blind button and the sunroof button.
As for the rear window shelf my car has the meridian 825W surround sound system and has a substantial speaker on the rear window shelf. I'm concerned this speaker may get in the way of the blind.??
There is a 8 second video on YouTube appearing to show the blind sliding up and down very close to the rear window but it doesn't show where the brackets on the blind are fixed to.
There are a few things I'm unsure of so I'm hoping you can help me with them.
Thanks again
Mike
I bought the blind complete with the motor. My auto electrician thinks that maybe a module may be required.? The blind has a length of cable attached to hit with a plug on the end but is nowhere near long enough to reach the overhead switch. Does it plug in somewhere near the rear window.?
Where did you anchor the blind to ? As the headlining covers all of the metal frame of the roof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just cut them off and solder to your new home made loom.
Hi Stevie
I have read that maplin have the tiny pins that are needed to fit into the plug on the tread plates so I'm going to have a drive there to hopefully pick some up.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I thought all the stores were closed, just online?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah online I think.
P.S. The picture of your car is a very similar colour to mine ( carlenian red)
It was the car released to the motoring press OY62 XFD.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Italian Racing Red, I love it As a colour.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi
Hi Eno
Thanks for the comprehensive reply on the window blind.
My car also has no sunroof but I'm considering having one fitted at a later date so I have bought an overhead switch with the parking button, the rear window blind button and the sunroof button.
As for the rear window shelf my car has the meridian 825W surround sound system and has a substantial speaker on the rear window shelf. I'm concerned this speaker may get in the way of the blind.??
There is a 8 second video on YouTube appearing to show the blind sliding up and down very close to the rear window but it doesn't show where the brackets on the blind are fixed to.
There are a few things I'm unsure of so I'm hoping you can help me with them.
Thanks again
Mike
I bought the blind complete with the motor. My auto electrician thinks that maybe a module may be required.? The blind has a length of cable attached to hit with a plug on the end but is nowhere near long enough to reach the overhead switch. Does it plug in somewhere near the rear window.?
Where did you anchor the blind to ? As the headlining covers all of the metal frame of the roof.
Hi Mickey - apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

The guide I was referring to here is within this thread - well worth a read.

From memory, the lead from the blind plugs into a socket in the loom that sits behind the offside rear C panel (I think this is referred to in the thread).

There are no anchor points in the roof - the blind itself is self supporting when in the up positon and never reaches/touches the roof lining itself, as you can see in this youtube video that forum member '08292' (Michael - who is ever so helpful') put up. He was the main contributor to the thread in the link.

I am not sure about your query on the speaker - the blind is designed roll out of a purpose built slot (from the underside) in the middle of the shelf where the long recess is. Do you only have the blind itself or do you have the purpose built shelf for it? Have a good read through of the thread as Michael makes reference to the recess for the meridian speakers and from memory I think his original attempt at fitting involved adapting a "non-blind" fitment shelf, before he later sourced the correct one. There are references to attachments where he did this, but those particular images are not currently displaying - it might be worth messaging him if you have any specific questions on that task - he has really helped me and many others in the past.

If you have any other queries around this, post up on this thread and I will do my best to help. Infact I probably do have to take my rear shelf out again soon, as like Hilton I've spotted something winged had decided to ends its days near my third brake light - the thoughtless ****r! :)

Best regards

e-n-o

·
Registered
280 Posts
Couple of pics of the rear blind and roof console retrofitted to my car. Not bad for £80 off ebay including the B&W speakers !

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts