Jaguar Forum banner

Jaguar XF 2.7D 2008 - boot wiring harness / loom - what amp?

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Phil1 
#1 ·
Hi all! I'm repairing a broken cable inside the boot wiring loom and I'm going to use a butt connector and extra wire to extend it slightly. Does anyone know what the amp rating of the wires in the boot wiring harness? Butt connectors come in various amps i.e. 10 / 15 / 25 / 30 amps, as do connecting cables like this:
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...ls-fixings/halfords-17-amp-cable-black-hef732

Thanks for your replies!

#2 ·
If it's the original short loom to the boot lid and you've got the new one, they've already modified the design to make it less likely to break and stretch.

#12 ·
Can any one tell me the part number for the boot loom wiring thank
Re rear boot wiring harness.
I had my XF from new 2011, and have had the rear boot wiring harness replaced twice.
I have both of the damaged wiring harnesses and the bags the replacement ones came in.
Both harness have exactly the same, cuts/snaps in cables in exactly the same place.
The plastic bags the harness was delivered in has the same part number. If the harness had been redesigned, I'd expect a revision number on the part number.

I have had my XF from new and have had the wiring harness replaced twice. Broken cables in exactly the same place. I have taken back to main dealer who couldn't find the fault, charged me £120 for diagnostic test and said everything was OK with the wiring harness and that a new camera was needed and quoted £660. When I pointed out that the number plate lights were not working they replaced the wiring harness and it all worked (the problem was the coax cable was cut in two - don't know why they didn't diagnose that for £120 when I had already pointed out that I suspected the wiring harness.).
I wrote to Jaguar, very disappointed that they do not recognise that this is a defect in their design and under Sales of Goods Act, they are responsible for 6 years - this is over and above any warranty that they offer.
I think that everyone affected should write to Jaguar with their problems so that they can see what the problem is. People mending it themselves doesn't allow Jaguar to see how many problem units are out there.
Write to: jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com
CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP CENTRE:
Abbey Road,
Whitley, Coventry
CV3 4LF

Please post reply if you get any satisfaction

#3 ·
Hi Miggyboys and welcome to the Forum. Please introduce yourself in the new members section, tell us bit about who you are, where you are, what car you have etc.

It'd be a better idea to replace the cable while you have it all in pieces than repair it. Whatever repair method you use, wether crimped connectors or soldered it'll put a non-flexable and therefore vulnerable splice into the cable right where it needs to flex. Possibly replacing the entire wire with joints close to the plus and sockets at either end may work but fr all the effort, I'd buy a new one for the small cost. Just my thoughts :cool:

#4 ·
Re rear boot wiring harness.
I had my XF from new 2011, and have had the rear boot wiring harness replaced twice.
I have both of the damaged wiring harnesses and the bags the replacement ones came in.
Both harness have exactly the same, cuts/snaps in cables in exactly the same place.
The plastic bags the harness was delivered in has the same part number. If the harness had been redesigned, I'd expect a revision number on the part number.

I have had my XF from new and have had the wiring harness replaced twice. Broken cables in exactly the same place. I have taken back to main dealer who couldn't find the fault, charged me £120 for diagnostic test and said everything was OK with the wiring harness and that a new camera was needed and quoted £660. When I pointed out that the number plate lights were not working they replaced the wiring harness and it all worked (the problem was the coax cable was cut in two - don't know why they didn't diagnose that for £120 when I had already pointed out that I suspected the wiring harness.).
I wrote to Jaguar, very disappointed that they do not recognise that this is a defect in their design and under Sales of Goods Act, they are responsible for 6 years - this is over and above any warranty that they offer.
I think that everyone affected should write to Jaguar with their problems so that they can see what the problem is. People mending it themselves doesn't allow Jaguar to see how many problem units are out there.
Write to: jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com
CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP CENTRE:
Abbey Road,
Whitley, Coventry
CV3 4LF

Please post reply if you get any satisfaction

#5 ·
The replacement loom is around £50 I believe. No copper wire will last indefinitely if it is frequently flexed. While I don't like having to replace parts on my cars, this part of the loom could pretty much be considered a serviceable item, it is after all easy to change in a matter of 10 minutes or so. I cannot see Jaguar ever accepting this is a design fault. For what it costs I believe the effort to contact Jaguar CRC and demand a free diagnoses and replacement just isn't worth it. Accept the cost, fit the replacement and move on. You do have a claim against the dealer for charging for incorrect diagnostic work though.

#6 ·
I would challenge your comment Alan, how many other cars with similar cabling suffer the same problem, and just because it's easy to change doesn't make it any more "serviceable"?

I think they have modified it in subsequent models, which surely points to a defect being rectified. I just don't see how it can be equated to pads or suspension bushes, it should be fit for the life of the car.

#8 ·
I would challenge your comment Alan, how many other cars with similar cabling suffer the same problem, and just because it's easy to change doesn't make it any more "serviceable"?
I have experienced the same issue on two BMWs and a Saab 9-3. It is more common than you’d think.

I put it down to wear and tear on the cables. They twist each time you open the bootlid which stretches the copper and the insulation covering it.
Over time the insulation hardens and then cracks, allowing the copper to take the full force of the twisting action and it then fails and breaks.

Heat and cold cycles of our weather also contribute, where part of this loom is inside the car and part outside.

It is a serviceable item in that it is easily replaced by a competent DIYer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I wasn't suggesting that Jaguar shouldn't consider the item a design fault, with a high number of failed looms bought to the attention of this forum, it clearly is so. But with Jaguar not accepting it as an issue, for the replacement cost rather than the stress and inconvenience of a whole bunch of emails back and forth to Jaguar CRC (and possibly multiple visits to the dealer), I condescended to just accept the issue and replace the loom should it fail (mine hasn't, yet), but there is a principle that some may wish to uphold and not take my reluctant acceptance. My TPMS module failed, same issue of a high rate of failure, but I just sucked air through my teeth and paid the £185 for a replacement.

A redesign should have been simple. Use thinner cooper cores in the wires but more of them to keep the current rating the same. Thinner cores will be more tolerant of flexing. Job done. Without examining a new replacement loom and cutting it open and comparing to an old failed one, we won't know if it was modified.

#10 ·
I have 30 years experience in the electrical industry.
Cables have a design bend radius, typically 6 to 12 times the diameter - so in this case, as there is a coax cable for the rear camera, it should be 30 to 60 mm.

In the past when we designed cables that were going to be flexed many time an hour into arduous conditions (think moving machinery around molten metal (i.e. hot) etc) then the design would use a moving "chain" type assembly which protected the cables inside.

Simply saying that it is a moving cable so it'll fail is, IMHO, taking away the onus of the designers to get it right.
Think about robotic arms, them move and flex every minute of every days, their cables don't fail after several hundred operations.

I know I've got a "bee in my bonnet" about this but I do think it is poor customer service for Jaguar to turn their backs on known problems and not even address it by improving the design in the spare parts they sell. I am now on my third wiring loom and they are all exactly the same, no improvement, and all fail in exactly the same manner.
You wouldn't accept this happening to you driver side door after a few years so why is the boot any different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.