Jaguar Forum banner
161 - 180 of 259 Posts
As I have said before, it seems that if you can't charge at home, the inconvenience will be huge. And I really cannot see every street being dug up to allow new cabling for "lamp post" chargers or the like. The cost would be immense. Even a significant take-up for home charging is going to cause major issues for the distribution networks.

Hence I have a sneaky suspicion that JLR might be on the right track backing hydrogen. For HGVs it will be the only sensible solution too.

Discussion starter · #162 ·
As I have said before, it seems that if you can't charge at home, the inconvenience will be huge. And I really cannot see every street being dug up to allow new cabling for "lamp post" chargers or the like. The cost would be immense.

Hence I have a sneaky suspcion that JLR might be on the right track backing hydrogen. For HGVs it will be the only sensible solution too.
We’re decades away from fuel cells achieving wide adoption, just look out long it’s taken BEVs.

Still nothing stopping you keeping your ICE car after 2030.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’re decades away from fuel cells achieving wide adoption, just look out long it’s taken BEVs.

Still nothing stopping you keeping your ICE car after 2030.

For JLR to look in that direction, it’s closer than you think.

Discussion starter · #164 ·
For JLR to look in that direction, it’s closer than you think.
A small manufacturer like JLR looking at it isn’t really wide adoption.

Discussion starter · #166 ·
JLR is backed by a huge company
So? They still don’t make anywhere near as many cars as a many other manufacturers.

So? They still don’t make anywhere near as many cars as a many other manufacturers.

Neither did Tesla not so long ago.........

Discussion starter · #168 ·
Neither did Tesla not so long ago.........
JLR seen Tesla are totally different.

But it’s not only about the tech it’s also about the infrastructure. If people thing that charging is difficult now, take a look at refuelling a hydrogen car.

Several manufacturers already make hydrogen cars but they sell so few they haven’t taken off.

JLR seen Tesla are totally different.

But it’s not only about the tech it’s also about the infrastructure. If people thing that charging is difficult now, take a look at refuelling a hydrogen car.

Several manufacturers already make hydrogen cars but they sell so few they haven’t taken off.

If there was a huge take up of EV’s the grid would struggle, we’ve also had different fuels that have offered us options, EV’s might not be the only option in the future

Reactions: Shrek
Discussion starter · #170 ·
If there was a huge take up of EV’s the grid would struggle, we’ve also had different fuels that have offered us options, EV’s might not be the only option in the future
I’m not saying hydrogen or another source won’t be the future. BEV isn’t the be all and end all of vehicle propulsion. I just don’t think hydrogen is as close as some people think.

Reactions: Ancill
They were using hydrogen fuel cells on Apollo 11. The technology is pretty much nailed. Just needs some investment and commitment.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #172 ·
They were using hydrogen fuel cells on Apollo 11. The technology is pretty much nailed. Just needs some investment and commitment.

If that was the case we’d have it by now.

Isn’t [part] of the issue you need a fair bit of energy to produce the hydrogen in the first place and it needs to be stored at high pressure?

Reactions: ChrisSB
A large percentage of the population can't afford a new car so the majority will be on petrol or diesel for quite some time yet I reckon.

Reactions: Gav
Isn’t [part] of the issue you need a fair bit of energy to produce the hydrogen in the first place and it needs to be stored at high pressure?
In term of energy required, a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle would need roughly twice as much electricity to be generated as a battery powered vehicle. Despite that, hydrogen could still make an environmental case in countries where marginal generation is from renewables, & especially where there is surplus renewable energy. The UK falls into the latter category & will have more surplus electricity in the future as we roll out more offshore wind capacity.

That's not a proper caravan! more a trailer with an empty box, weight class under 1150kgs. As mentioned the limit for i-Pace is 750kg.
When an EV can tow a 1600kg caravan, give a range of greater than 360 miles between charging when towing and cost a real word price joe public can afford. I just might consider one, till then I'll stick with my XF
Surely the answer is to build some battery capacity into the caravans to extend the range.

Whilst the van is parked up while you’re away, it’ll charge itself, then it can charge the car when you get back from your day out.

Yes, the batteries will add weight, but it will be low down which should improve cornering. [emoji23]

Surely the answer is to build some battery capacity into the caravans to extend the range.

Whilst the van is parked up while you’re away, it’ll charge itself, then it can charge the car when you get back from your day out.

Yes, the batteries will add weight, but it will be low down which should improve cornering. [emoji23]
I would have thought the best solution would be to ban caravans altogether 😁

I would have thought the best solution would be to ban caravans altogether 😁
Oye! I read that...

Nag boxes more like, smelly road blocks

If that was the case we’d have it by now.
Well, it was the case . . .

And just as battery technology is benefitting from investment and development now, so would fuel cell technology given the same level of "interest".

161 - 180 of 259 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.