Jaguar Forum banner

141 - 160 of 188 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I'd expect to be able to use the car daily while camping, so would want to top-up on my evening return. Maybe the electric hook up would be just about suitable, but considering you'd made a long-ish journey with your 2,250kg 5 berth (you know, the one no BEV can yet tow) so your battery is very low, you'd want to fully charge so you can drive round the area over the next few days. There's so much lacking for BEV owners still, my view is they're suitable for local, short journeys only unless you enjoy meticulous journey planning. I said years ago the solution isn't battery, it's on-board power generation.
On one of your trips out you park up at a rapid charger. Simple.

People are always using niche use cases to show the issues with EVs. ICE vehicles have been around for over a century, the infrastructure wasn’t there immediately. I bet many were saying that there was nothing wrong with a horse and cart before ICE took over.

EVs are improving all the time whereas ICE vehicle drivetrains haven’t really changed much for decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Statler

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I won’t be able to do the road trip across Antarctica that I’ve always wanted to do, in an EV.

Better stick to ICE.
Plenty of ICE in Antarctica so good choice

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Yes, big heavy red things, both counterbalance and reach. Was trained and licenced by Black & Decker. Never lost the knack of driving them, bit like riding a bike I guess.
Cool. I did my apprenticeship there and then designed them for a bit. Loved my 6-week stint in R&D where I got to drive so sorts every day, all day.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
People are always using niche use cases to show the issues with EVs. ICE vehicles have been around for over a century, the infrastructure wasn’t there immediately. I bet many were saying that there was nothing wrong with a horse and cart before ICE took over.

EVs are improving all the time whereas ICE vehicle drivetrains haven’t really changed much for decades.
Yup, as I was. If I were using a BEV, as you will be in the IPace, you'll plan ahead and also plan for contingency. Yes, a bit of a pain at the moment, but as you say, the infrastructure will be improving immensely going forwards and such planning will require less and less effort as time passes and BEV becomes more mainstream. I wonder if in 15 years time I'm complaining that fuel stations are closing or converting to electric charging only?

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Super Moderator
28,673 Posts
On one of your trips out you park up at a rapid charger. Simple.

Assuming the rapid charger works lol

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Assuming the rapid charger works lol
True. That’s why apps like Zap Map are great. If you come across a broken one you can report it on the app some others know. It also shows the majority of them around.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
Cool. I did my apprenticeship there and then designed them for a bit. Loved my 6-week stint in R&D where I got to drive so sorts every day, all day.
Lansing Bagnall used to have a place in Old Isleworth Middlesex just across from my grandparents place, we once watched part of an episode of The Sweeney being filmed in the scrap yard between the two.

Oh boy am I'm old... (Don't even think about it Jay!... ;) )

·
Super Moderator
28,673 Posts
True. That’s why apps like Zap Map are great. If you come across a broken one you can report it on the app some others know. It also shows the majority of them around.

Things are going to get better, there is a lot of investment going on with the infrastructure

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Quote from the Gov website.

Rapid charging devices have also grown quickly, increasing by 37% in the last year. In the fourth quarter of 2020, 1,288 more devices were available in total, up 7% on the previous quarter. 350 of these were rapid devices. There is uneven geographical distribution of charging devices within the UK.

But that’s only going to get faster. Now there are so many BEVs available, more coming out every month. So investment will only increase.

Yeah things are far from perfect now but in 9 years it’ll be totally different.

·
Super Moderator
28,673 Posts
Quite from the Gov website.

Rapid charging devices have also grown quickly, increasing by 37% in the last year. In the fourth quarter of 2020, 1,288 more devices were available in total, up 7% on the previous quarter. 350 of these were rapid devices. There is uneven geographical distribution of charging devices within the UK.

But that’s only going to get faster. Now there are so many BEVs available, more coming out every month. So investment will only increase.

In 3-5 years things will be so different

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Lansing Bagnall used to have a place in Old Isleworth Middlesex just across from my grandparents place, we once watched part of an episode of The Sweeney being filmed in the scrap yard between the two.

Wow. Yes you are old. They moved to Basingstoke from there in 1949 :LOL:

Must have been kept when they moved. :)

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
Wow. Yes you are old. They moved to Basingstoke from there in 1949 :LOL:

Must have been kept when they moved. :)
Cheeky bleddy northerner.. they still had a place there in the late 70's, maybe early 80's... 😛

There was a coach company mere yards away that bought 'Maggies battle bus'.

Reactions: Shrek

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Since JLR made the announcement about going EV the Jaguar groups on Facebook have been full of posts about it as you’d expect. It’s really surprised me the amount of misinformation there is out there regarding EVs.

I even saw a comment just now saying Sir William Lyons would be turning in his grave

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I even saw a comment just now saying Sir William Lyons would be turning in his grave
Attach some magnets to him and wrap his grave in wire. Could run an I-Pace.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
As if I would!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,515 Posts
Quote from the Gov website.

"uneven distribution" is something of an understatement. I think there are 7 charging sites in the whole of Wales. The vast majority of charging sites are in the southeast, and if elsewhere, on major trunk routes only.

Quite how the provincial/rural population is supposed to cope post 2030 I don't know.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
We haven't been exactly all-embracing to BEV on this forum, myself including. Many of us would likely describe ourselves as "petrol-heads" and this seems to exclude any form of electric vehicle. I wonder if some feel threatened the ICE is now essentially in a noose. I personally think the next few years will be exciting and am looking forward to the new era of electrified vehicles even though I do rib what I see as some of the difficulties with BEV over ICE today and cannot in some instances see the solution, Wilf as above about fast charging in Wales. It has to improve. Hasn't it?

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
"uneven distribution" is something of an understatement. I think there are 7 charging sites in the whole of Wales. The vast majority of charging sites are in the southeast, and if elsewhere, on major trunk routes only.

Quite how the provincial/rural population is supposed to cope post 2030 I don't know.
We’re 9 years away from then plenty of time.

In 2017 there were 2662 rapid charging points in the UK. By the end of 2020 there were 9645. That’s quite a jump in 4 years and that’s pretty good considering COVID would have slowed this.

That doesn’t include fast and slow chargers. There were 38,000 total.

Obviously there are geographical challenges and no doubt the devolved governments haven’t helped (different priorities) but I’m certain the next 9 years this will improve greatly.

141 - 160 of 188 Posts