Jaguar Forum banner
201 - 220 of 259 Posts
Jaguar won't be making SUVs. He said that.
Didn't anyone tell them that 50% of Bentley's sales are the Bentayga?

This plan is total nonsense likely to end with insolvency.

Discussion starter · #202 ·
Didn't anyone tell them that 50% of Bentley's sales are the Bentayga?

This plan is total nonsense likely to end with insolvency.
That's before EVs came along. Current feeling are SUVs are going to reduce.

That's before EVs came along. Current feeling are SUVs are going to reduce.
Aston Martin's future hinges on the success of the DBX.

Discussion starter · #204 ·
Aston Martin's future hinges on the success of the DBX.
Good luck to them. They better hope some new tech comes along that makes EV SUVs much more efficient.

Good luck to them. They better hope some new tech comes along that makes EV SUVs much more efficient.
It's not a problem when they retail for £150K & you've got an engineering partnership with Mercedes Benz to share the development cost.

Discussion starter · #206 ·
It's not a problem when they retail for £150K & you've got an engineering partnership with Mercedes Benz to share the development cost.
You say that like Mercedes are making extremely successful SUV EVs...

You say that like Mercedes are making extremely successful SUV EVs...
And that is why they're getting involved with AM. That DBX is probably a guinea pig for a future MB product.

Discussion starter · #208 ·
More clarity around the announcement in the investors day presentation. Investor Day | JLR Corporate Website

They key is that Jaguar will have a BEV option for every model by 2025. Also, they are planning to reduce manufacturing capacity by 25% over the next 5 years.

More clarity around the announcement in the investors day presentation. Investor Day | JLR Corporate Website

They key is that Jaguar will have a BEV option for every model by 2025. Also, they are planning to reduce manufacturing capacity by 25% over the next 5 years.
I think they've already achieved the latter judging by the recent figures... as has every other car manufacturer with possibly one exception.

Discussion starter · #210 ·
I think they've already achieved the latter judging by the recent figures... as has every other car manufacturer with possibly one exception.
Problem is they are still paying for a lot of overheads associated with that capacity even though they aren't using it.

Problem is they are still paying for a lot of overheads associated with that capacity even though they aren't using it.
Downsizing is usually more expensive than expanding in manufacturing. It certainly hurts the cash flow in the short term.

Discussion starter · #212 ·
Downsizing is usually more expensive than expanding in manufacturing. It certainly hurts the cash flow in the short term.
No doubt that's why they are spreading it out over 5 years :rolleyes:

Fortunately they have a flush Indian backer

The more I read and think about the new ambitions of Jaguar the more I like it. Going upmarket, making the cars look better and increasing quality by reducing complexity (mainly through leccy drivetrains) sounds absolutely right. Their past 10 years of dumbing down the brand and products has always annoyed me.

Jags should be exciting, fairly exclusive, fairly expensive and more of a niche brand than mass market. Not quite Aston Martin but more somewhere around Maserati market segment wise. The lineup should be small with clear differences between the models a bit like back when it consisted of the XJ, XF and XK... and it sounds like it's moving in that kind of direction. Thanks to Tata's backing this should also be possible to achieve.

I can't see that replacing an ICE with an electric powertrain will help with their "quality". The majority of JLRs warranty issues have been electronics or software-related, and there is actually more of both in a BEV.

Discussion starter · #216 ·
But if they switch switch to software development, as the CEO said during the presentation then a large proportion of the workforce will be dedicated to it, unlike now where the team is much smaller than it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But if they switch switch to software development, as the CEO said during the presentation then a large proportion of the workforce will be dedicated to it, unlike now where the team is much smaller than it should be.

They have some great idea's, if they can make it work, they could easily be class leading

Reactions: MajorTom

This. And regardless they will hopefully save themselves and us owners so much complexity by going leccy.

As much as I love my ICEs it’s mind boggling how complex ICE drivetrains are compared to BEV.

I’ll miss the sound of burning fossil fuels but I for one look forward to a Jag where I don’t have to factor in risks/future costs of frequent oil changes, supercharger repairs, coolant system and water pump repairs, potential timing chain issues, random plastic auxiliary parts conking out etc.

I'd disagree with that.

The only real difference in the car in developmental changes will be the drive chain. There's not been huge amounts of investment in that area for about 5 years or so now. The engines are mostly all there, the tooling and manufacturing for them are already there.

They're now saying they've got to invest massively, and quickly in investing, developing, implementing and perfecting new drivetrains that are quite new to Jaguar still.

I think they're looking at downsizing, is because the market for their products won't be there like it was for a 2.0d XE.

If they carry on like they are at the moment, there's a good chance the funding could get cut and they'll end up going the way of MG-Rover.

They're downsizing because if they don't do it now, they probably won't be able to survive.

Discussion starter · #220 ·
They are downsizing to concentrate on quality.

Software engineering for EVs is far more important, especially as mechanically they are far simpler.

201 - 220 of 259 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.