Jaguar Forum banner

Jaguar to be all-electric by 2025.

14K views 258 replies 31 participants last post by  TheStig 
#1 ·

#2 ·
OMG ... it'll take over a year to get a tech from Coventry to Leicester. :D

Reactions: ChrisSB
#4 ·
If anything, they should have done this back in 2018 when the I-Pace was released.

#9 ·
If I remember rightly, the final quarter of 2020 was pretty good for them.

#8 ·
I wonder if Jaguar are going all electric to offset the emissions of Land Rover as I can't see the Range Rover being able to tow 3.5 tons on an electric platform.

Nice to see them giving recognition to their heritage at the start of the video.

I wonder if there'll be any halo cars just prior to this? Another V8 saloon car to go out with a bang? I truly doubt it but one can dream :(

David.

#10 ·
I wonder if Jaguar are going all electric to offset the emissions of Land Rover as I can't see the Range Rover being able to tow 3.5 tons on an electric platform.

Nice to see them giving recognition to their heritage at the start of the video.

I wonder if there'll be any halo cars just prior to this? Another V8 saloon car to go out with a bang? I truly doubt it but one can dream :(

David.
Land Rover are going electric as well. just delayed slightly.

Reactions: dhallworth
#12 ·
Interesting that LR are adopting the hydrogen fuel cell. Not many seem to be going that way at the moment.

#22 ·
It's been canned. He said in the video. Until the new platforms are released at least.

#27 ·
But I honestly think the manufacturers didn't bother with type approval because of the range impact, not because they physically couldn't do it.

#28 ·
This.
I don't see why the construction of an EV would be any less robust than its ICE equivalent.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

#29 ·
I rather suspect that the towing issue is battery-related, as in they will get far too hot if you attempt going up a hill towing a heavy load.

Lets face it, most BEVs will trundle along using a tiny fraction of their full potential, just like ICE vechicles do.

Reactions: ChrisSB
#31 ·
Yup. It’s likely built on the MLA architecture which is going to be developed for Land Rover only. The new Jaguar architecture is different so a new XJ will be designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#32 ·
I suspect that even me, at my elevated age, will see the day when the ICE will become the same as steam engines are viewed now. Objects of nostalgia.

#33 ·
I suspect that even me, at my elevated age, will see the day when the ICE will become the same as steam engines are viewed now. Objects of nostalgia.

Keep that XJ, it will be an appreciating asset soon 😁

#34 ·
Sounds all good to me actually. As much as I love my ICEs ("I like burning stuff" as Jerry Seinfeld said in Comedians in cars getting coffee :D ) they're all forced to go electric and I don't care about the drive train as long as it's a proper Jag.

Leaving the tractor business to LR is absolutely right and hopefully this reimagination makes them drop the illusion of big volume repmobile / Eurobox production and instead focus on properly exciting cars true to the Jaguar DNA again.

Having Tata as a strong long term owner also seems good. It must be tough making money short term with the current honestly rather sad lineup... apart from the I-Pace and F-Type I can't quite see how anything else in the current lineup could sell even decently so it's good if they have an owner who believes in that they'll get back on track.

Here's to Jaguar getting things right again.

Reactions: PeteA and ChrisSB
#44 ·
With such a radical change in direction should they also change their name? Let’s be honest, they still have the ‘old man‘ reputation and LR have an awful rep for reliability, especially in the US. I think the old names may be a hinderance for such a modern line up.

#51 ·
Don't hold your collective breath gents. It ain't going to happen any time soon. Really, really, really couldn't justify spending upwards of £50k just pre-retirement. As much as I'd like to . . .

#60 ·
I'm really interested to see what format Jaguar will use for batteries going forward. Will they stay with the iPace LG pouch cell or swap to a cylindrical design? The demand for an off the shelf pouch cell going forward could escalate the cost unless Jaguar have plans to manufacture their own or partner a battery supplier.

The iPace should be selling in large numbers but the LG pouch battery is possibly it's Achilles heel.

#61 ·
I noticed that Land Rover dropped the Evoke model. Good riddance. That convertible was hideous.

Reactions: DAVENN
#68 ·
You've got to admit this does look nice...

Reactions: PeteA
#73 ·
Looks better than the one Hammond borrowed

Reactions: R17
#77 ·
Hammond's one looked just like that when he borrowed it..... Not quite the same when he'd finished with it. Yes Richard, you need to slow for corners!

Reactions: paulrxf
#78 ·
Ford Europe have followed setting a date of 2030 to be 100% electric.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.