Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Below is a list of the 'service items' that are carried out in the 96k service schedule for an XF although I am sure it is the basically the same for all models. Most of the items on the list are, in my opinion, things that most owners check on a day to day basis e.g. "Check condition of wiper blades" and "Check tire pressures, condition, tread depth, signs of uneven wear and suitability". As far as I can see the only things that actually require changing during a service are oil and filters, everything else is checked by the owner on a ongoing basis and dealt with as and when needed. I do an oil and filter change myself for around 拢40 so can anyone explain what they actually do for the 拢500 they are quoting? No doubt if they did find the wipers needed changing or the tyres were worn they would be charged for as extras on top the cost of the service.
  • Replace climate controlled seat cushion motor filters (where fitted).
  • Check condition of wiper blades.
  • Check tire pressures, condition, tread depth, signs of uneven wear and suitability (including spare).
  • Inspect brake pads for wear (disc condition on pad change).
  • Renew engine oil and filter.
  • Replace the air cleaner element.
  • Renew fuel filter element.
  • Check brake fluid level is between Min and Max. Refer to the workshop manual for more information.
  • Check/top up coolant level.
  • Check operation of electric windows and Roof opening panel (if equipped) including 'one-touch' operation.
  • Check/top up power steering fluid level.
  • Renew pollen filter.
  • Visually check under bonnet/underbody for any fluid leaks.
  • If fault lamp(s) are illuminated, interrogate that system using SDD and report findings.
  • Carry out road test.
  • Correct operation of drive selector and selector mechanism.
  • Check condition and security of seats and seat belts.
  • Correct operation of steering lock (if fitted).
  • Correct operation of seat and steering wheel adjust mechanisms.
  • The starter motor operates without undue noise and the engine starts easily.
  • Correct operation of fault lamps and instruments.
  • Check operation of all lamps, horns and warning indicators.
  • Check operation of Windshield and headlight wipers and washer jets.
  • Steering self-centers from left and right hand locks.
  • The vehicle does not pull or wander to one side.
  • The brakes do not pull to one side but operate smoothly without judder or noise.
  • Gear changes are smooth.
  • Cruise control engages and disengages correctly.
  • Correct operation of climate control system.
  • For undue vehicle noises.
  • Reset service indicator.
  • Reset engine oil level indicator.
  • Endorse service record.
  • Report any unusual features of vehicle condition and additional work required.
You make a good point Rick, really when you think about it, what ARE you actually paying for?

Registered
what ARE you actually paying for?
Exactly. And bear in mind we all also have an annual MOT inspection that will pick up on things like wipers, lights, tyres, brakes, worn suspension parts etc. that we might miss in our daily checks. I used to pay between 拢250-拢300 for an annual service but when I looked at what was actually done I felt I was being royally shafted.

Registered
I think that depends on the age of the car and if you have a warranty. It may be a condition of any warranty that the car is serviced by a garage and I know many people these days like to keep the online service history up to date. Personally I have never found it to be an issue. None of the cars I have owned have been new or in the warranty period. I keep a spreadsheet record of all the work carried out on my car, whether by me or a garage, and keep all receipts for parts, oil, filters etc. and always buy decent quality parts. When I have sold any of my cars, as long as buyers can see evidence of servicing etc having been carried out, they have always been satisfied. In some ways, the fact you are doing the servicing yourself shows you care about the car. Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: Pegasus and PeteA

Registered
Battery powered superhero
It doesn't put me off so long as the seller can demonstrate the car was serviced and maintained by copies of invoices for service parts etc. Many times when buying an older car, an enthusiast self-maintained car is in much better condition than one with a stamped FSH.

Registered
XF 2021 P250 R-Dynamic HSE, Bluefire blue. Back up is a Cosworth
I keep a spreadsheet record of all the work carried out on my car, whether by me or a garage, and keep all receipts for parts, oil, filters etc. and always buy decent quality parts.
(y) You're not alone. Got 1 started on my XF and the other car's s/sheet has 300+ lines of everything done since birth.

Registered
It's the way to go @CBees

One tip, depending on which extractor you buy, when I got mine, the tubes that were supplied with it were not really suitable as they were too short and needed to be joined and too rigid to fit over the extraction tube on the car. I ended up buying some clear flexible plastic hose from B&Q which I cut to the correct length and binned the tubes supplied. Works a treat now.

Reactions: CBees

Registered
馃彺鬆仹鬆仮鬆伋鬆仯鬆伌鬆伩X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red

Registered
馃彺鬆仹鬆仮鬆伋鬆仯鬆伌鬆伩X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red

Registered
Haha, yes it's the same one but there is a bit of a story. When it was delivered the 'bung' that goes in the top of the pump was missing. Instead of sending me a replacement they opted to give me a full refund, so I got the pump for nothing. I also found the tubes that were supplied were a little short and too hard, as I said. So I bought a rubber bung with a hole in to fit the pump and a length of flexi hose of the right diameter to fit the extraction tube and pushed it into the plug. Job done ;)

Reactions: CBees

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Whilst I have you all great minds on one thread. The car failed its MOT on a rear lower suspension arm which was replaced. I had noticed a droning noise (not the wife) coming from the car that sounded like a wheel bearing, although the left/right trick wasn鈥檛 working to find out which side. That noise seems to have gone now which I find really weird. Could the rear lower arm have been causing this droning noise? Anybody had the same experience?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts