Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
18,293 Posts
I totally understand :) Cyber hacking to steal/clone your digital keys is quite common though, particularly on range rovers which adopt the same software. It's somewhat disturbing how often range rovers are stolen with cyber hacking methods....and it continues to evolve.

Personally, I would only enable key-less entry if I had the ghost immobilizer installed, totally independent of the digital key. Costs £500. I cant stand steering locks...!
ghost is highly highly recommended.
had it fitted to the 595 within days of collecting..

No keyless entry with the Merc
Can't say that I miss it.

·
Registered
21,862 Posts
I totally understand :) Cyber hacking to steal/clone your digital keys is quite common though, particularly on range rovers which adopt the same software. It's somewhat disturbing how often range rovers are stolen with cyber hacking methods....and it continues to evolve.

Personally, I would only enable key-less entry if I had the ghost immobilizer installed, totally independent of the digital key. Costs £500. I cant stand steering locks...!
Whilst I understand anyone's reasonable concerns about becoming the victim of any crime, just how far does one go to mitigate those concerns? You can turn your home into a fortress. You can decide never to go outside after dark. You can decide never to go outside alone. You can disable the keyless entry facility of your car. In short, you can let the fear of becoming a victim overwhelm and control your life.
By all means take reasonable steps to prevent your p&j being stolen but as has been pointed out, the keyless entry feature is one of those little things that makes owning a lovely car like a Jag, enjoyable.
So what I'd say is that if you're really that concerned about some low-life stealing your car, sell it and buy a shed. You'll sleep better at night.

·
Firm Rampant Member
18,293 Posts
Whilst I understand anyone's reasonable concerns about becoming the victim of any crime, just how far does one go to mitigate those concerns? You can turn your home into a fortress. You can decide never to go outside after dark. You can decide never to go outside alone. You can disable the keyless entry facility of your car. In short, you can let the fear of becoming a victim overwhelm and control your life.
By all means take reasonable steps to prevent your p&j being stolen but as has been pointed out, the keyless entry feature is one of those little things that makes owning a lovely car like a Jag, enjoyable.
So what I'd say is that if you're really that concerned about some low-life stealing your car, sell it and buy a shed. You'll sleep better at night.
100%
I used to use Faraday pouches and tin boxes, I don't miss that faff either.
Now, my car keys are usually half way up the stairs... 3 up from the creaky step.
That said, it's a Co car, so Billy Burglar is welcome to it.
I, like many others, keep my credit and bank cards in shielded holders though.

One thing, on my X260 and Velar I couldn't disable keyless.

Reactions: SuperDoop

·
Registered
34 Posts
100%
I used to use Faraday pouches and tin boxes, I don't miss that faff either.
Now, my car keys are usually half way up the stairs... 3 up from the creaky step.
That said, it's a Co car, so Billy Burglar is welcome to it.
I, like many others, keep my credit and bank cards in shielded holders though.

One thing, on my X260 and Velar I couldn't disable keyless.
The purpose of phone/watch remote feature is so that you start the engine + a/c etc (to its operating temperature) before arriving to the vehicle. It's extremely handy when it comes to Winter/Summer conditions. You still have your carkey with you....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Understood :)
As you say, its about assessing that risk and mitigating it effectively or the best you can.... I live in the area where car theft has the highest crime rate in the UK.

·
Super Moderator
30,677 Posts
I'm glad the I-PACE has new keys that prevent this. I'm sure the new JLR models (and refreshes) do as well by now.

Reactions: SuperDoop

·
Registered
XF Sprtbrake 3.0D S
48 Posts
The purpose of phone/watch remote feature is so that you start the engine + a/c etc (to its operating temperature) before arriving to the vehicle. It's extremely handy when it comes to Winter/Summer conditions. You still have your carkey with you....
Yes I have this feature but admittedly not used yet. I thought you still need keys on pocket for keyless entry though

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Think he means phone problem when your 2 keys are at home in pouches
I don't have cars which have this feature, they're both too old. Physical keys only. No apps. Obviously, I have a key on me when using the car! When I'm home, I drop the keys in the faraday box, where all the keys live when not being used. Both the Jags when parked up are on my property (usually), behind heavy electric gates, the XKR also garaged and blocked in my by XF-S and my son's Mini in any case.

·
Super Moderator
30,677 Posts
Pretty certain the Jaguar system doesn’t work that way anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Is there a guide anywhere which shows what ICTP and it's remote apps can do? I'm thinking of getting an F-Pace and on the "must have" list is ICTP rather than the lesser ICT but I've never experienced either.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts