Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 59 plate and I have to say I love the car. travelling from Manchester to london I got on the M25 and put my foot down (kickdown) to get past a few sunday drivers. The car did its thing, dropped a cog or two then flashed "Gearbox fault" on the bit between the clocks. The car was then stuck in whatever gear it kicked down to and wouldnt change. - tried the flappy paddles but still no joy. I pulled over to the hard sholder, put it in park and switched it off. Waited 10 seconds then started it. Error went away and the car drove perfectly again for a while.

130 Miles later on my way home the car did the same thing again this time joining the M1 (not that the location makes any difference). Again I had to pull over, stop and restart the car.

I took it back to the dealer but we couldnt replicate it. So its now booked into his garage.

1. Should there be an error code recorded on the ECU logs so the garage can review?
2. Is this likely to be a major issue or something easily resolvable?

Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
There should be DTCs stored for the gearbox. Just what the fault is/was is impossible to say via a forum and no codes. It could be a mechanical/electrical component failure, stuck/sticking solenoid, low or old fluid, even overheating. Needs to be diagnosed.

Welcome, BTW!

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
It will be under warranty as clearly the car had this fault when sold. If the dealer returns the car after repair and the fault is still there, reject it and demand a full refund?

Reactions: Popeye and johnw777

·
21,279 Posts
It will be under warranty as clearly the car had this fault when sold. If the dealer returns the car after repair and the fault is still there, reject it and demand a full refund?
This 100%, you can reject after - after repairs have been carried out you still have the same fault.

Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Which have a good low down on the law

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
OP hasn't bothered to come back :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts