Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Im looking to buy a 2011 XF 3.0ds saturday morning. I just wanted some advice regarding the DPF;
am i right in saying that as long as I take it for a swift ride every so often I shouldn't have any issues? my commute is town driving 5 miles each way mon-fri, but if i take it down the motorway every other weekend or the like it should be OK? is there a way top force a regen maybe once a week, to prevent problems? is there a way for me to cheeck/inspect the dpf prior to purcahse?

Thanks all for our time

Jason

·
Registered
388 Posts
5 miles each way isn't ideal but I am sure many people do this and as long as it gets regular longer runs it will hopefully be OK. Some code readers can give details of DPF status and some can force a regen but it isn't ideal to have to do this regularly. You will also get advice to rev it hard to "clean it out" etc, but it seems just a longer drive at normal speeds should be fine. If too many short journeys the car never gets hot enough to regen or starts to and then fails. This can lead to oil dilution which is obviously not a good situation. Be more worried about the water in junction box issues. Well documented on here and relatively easy to rectify if caught early enough.
Enjoy the car - had mine for several years now and it's still great to drive.

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
Hi all. Im looking to buy a 2011 XF 3.0ds saturday morning. I just wanted some advice regarding the DPF;
am i right in saying that as long as I take it for a swift ride every so often I shouldn't have any issues? my commute is town driving 5 miles each way mon-fri, but if i take it down the motorway every other weekend or the like it should be OK? is there a way top force a regen maybe once a week, to prevent problems? is there a way for me to cheeck/inspect the dpf prior to purcahse?

Thanks all for our time

Jason
Once you get your Jag, you will probably get out in it a bit earlier on a work day and enjoy some vigorous driving.....then set off for work.

It's been a while since I've had a diesel, I cannot recall a way of checking the DPF / forcing a regen outside of a diagnostic tool.

Take it out for an extremely vigorous drive before you part with your cash.

Reactions: bluejmc2005

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,042 Posts
No, not at all. I did. And I'm a bit older than 41....

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
is it wrong that a 41 year old man feels like a kid before Christmas at the prospect of buying an 11 year old car lol
There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Buying an 11 y.o kid at Xmas is another matter entirely, however.

• Haha

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do 3 mile round trip to work every day, I take it on one motorway journey per month to stretch its legs. Hardly worth taking the car to work but part of my job involves being able to go visit clients at short notice, unfortunatly for the car I haven't had to do one since Covid kicked in, but always have to be able to go if required.

The only time I get a DPF warning is if I forget to do the motorway journey. 6 to 8 weeks of short journeys will throw up a warning light.

I've had my car 7 years now and never had to replace the DPF, the warning light has always gone out with a longer trip or the local garage forcing a regen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do 3 mile round trip to work every day, I take it on one motorway journey per month to stretch its legs. Hardly worth taking the car to work but part of my job involves being able to go visit clients at short notice, unfortunatly for the car I haven't had to do one since Covid kicked in, but always have to be able to go if required.

The only time I get a DPF warning is if I forget to do the motorway journey. 6 to 8 weeks of short journeys will throw up a warning light.

I've had my car 7 years now and never had to replace the DPF, the warning light has always gone out with a longer trip or the local garage forcing a regen.
thank you, thats reassuring

·
Registered
151 Posts
is it wrong that a 41 year old man feels like a kid before Christmas at the prospect of buying an 11 year old car lol
Join the club - it's a Jaaag.... :cool: (and I am considerably older than 41!)

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,170 Posts
I had a 2012 XFS. Most of my mileage was to the golf club just under 5 miles away. It probably had a slightly longer trip maybe once a week, and occasional long motorway trip. Had the orange light twice in the 7 years I had it, both towards the end of its time with me, and in both instances it cleared itself. Go for it if everything else is right, check everything electrical works on it, like door locks, windows etc.

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,042 Posts
just noticed XKR V8 in your signature, not jealous at all..... (one day..)
I had a 2010 Classic XF-S Portfolio 3.0D before the F-Pace. Had no issues with the DPF. I think 3 yellow warnings in the 4 years I had it, all 3 were sort of expected as I was doing only short journeys at the time, and all self-cleared on a longer run. Had a few issues such as a failed lock, a couple worn bushes etc but that's all covered on here, if you're handy with the spanners.

Now have 2 supercharged Jaaaaaaags 😁

·
Registered
XF Sportbrake Portfolio 2013MY with Meridian Surround
90 Posts

Thanks all for our time

Jason
Do all Jags of that age have Dpf's?
If it has one then it should last around 100k miles in normal use, or maybe longer with regular oil changes. Jags don't seem to suffer with the same Dpf and oil dilution issues that some Land Rovers do with the same drivetrain due to the different layout of components. It's not really possible to test the Dpf without looking at live data on a scanner. The commute won't be long enough to allow a regen. so a longer run will be needed.

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
I had an XF-S (2010 MY) which had 194k miles when it was written off. Never had an issue with the DPF.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
A few simple things to check when you go to see it. Apart from the obvious like service history, tyres, warnings on dash,etc.
Go round and check all door and boot locks work properly. Put the air cond on full and make sure it is very cold on tickover. Don't be put off with a few stone chips (motorway driving is best). When the car first starts with the vents all open you should not get exhaust smells in the cabin. Simple things on these cars which are not a problem on some cars can be expensive. Best to check as much as possible before you buy rather than have to try to get money back after.
If you look on this forum for things to check before warranty expires you will see a list of everything that goes wrong with the things. But don't be put off, it is a bit scary, having said that it is better to be safe than sorry.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts