Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
the continuing saga of Jag and InTouch maps. I've just been told by Jaguar Customers Services that Jaguar will no longer update maps. No explanation, just abandoned.
My XF was first registered May 2017 and is a MY 2018, so after only 3 years Jaguar have abandoned support for a major car function.

Anyone, any thoughts about this issue?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Not really.

It's an expensive project to keep updating mapping and no doubt they'll be looking for areas to save money in the current climate.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
It really depends on how much use you make of the mapping and Nav functions.
Pro maps are now so prevalent across the range that I'd imagine that's where their efforts will be concentrated.

Have you tried the SD card map updater app from the Jaguar site?

I'd a 2011 XF that never had its maps updated in the 8.5 years I owned it. I swapped to using the WAZE app on my phone many years ago, if I need directions, that's my go to.

Reactions: Miggins

·
Super Moderator
26,822 Posts
Just forget the maps, even if they released an update they will be out of date immediately. Use Waze on your phone.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's still a bit crap that they abandon updates after only 3 years. I agree, there are better options, but not everyone is comfortable using a phone for directions and would prefer the "official" satnav. Don't Jaguar just buy the maps in from one of the main providers with their splash screen added, so not sure how much they spend on development. If they charged a bit less they would sell a lot more updates, which would help if money is tight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thats why i love my golf 7 maps update are free and 2 times in a year and i can install speedcams and have carplay mirrorlink and android auto

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The problem is, how long do they continue to support things like this?

It'll be a lot more complex than just adding a splash screen.

My car is about 10-11 years old and the sat nav is ancient in terms of what's available now. Technology moves that quickly these days that manufacturers just can't keep up with their in house offerings and are moving more towards android/apple based offerings which are used and updated on so many more devices.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They should be supporting these systems for at least 10 years. My cay is model year 2018, so after only 2 years it is obsolete .... completely unacceptable. Some manufacturers provide a guarantee that their map systems will be updated for the life of the car .... for example Volvo. My previous 2 cars were Volvos & they had regular updates. I was hoping to carry on buying UK based car manufacturer of which Jaguar is now the only one in my price range. It is highly unlikely that I will buy another Jag.

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,375 Posts
They should be supporting these systems for at least 10 years. My cay is model year 2018, so after only 2 years it is obsolete .... completely unacceptable. Some manufacturers provide a guarantee that their map systems will be updated for the life of the car .... for example Volvo. My previous 2 cars were Volvos & they had regular updates. I was hoping to carry on buying UK based car manufacturer of which Jaguar is now the only one in my price range. It is highly unlikely that I will buy another Jag.
forgive me , but why 10 yrs and from when?

its very nice to have the very latest update for whatever gadget we may own ..but how often is the update life changing?
if an up to date satnav is vital, then I would take the advice offered and use the likes of waze or Google maps, at least the traffic info is decent.

·
Registered
17,818 Posts
. . . . . .

It is highly unlikely that I will buy another Jag.
What, because the satnav maps aren't the last-minute version? Never mind it's a fantastic car.
The satnav in my 2015 XJ is awful. Would I swap it for a 2020 Volvo? Not a chance!

Reactions: FCS and Sdotk

·
Super Moderator
19,907 Posts
Maps in my car (a Volvo) are updated every couple of months Over The Air.

The Volvo is many times a better car than the Disco Sport was. Jaguar lost me at the F Pace with its lower quality interior than the XF I was coming from.

·
Super Moderator
26,822 Posts
The problem is, how long do they continue to support things like this?

It'll be a lot more complex than just adding a splash screen.

My car is about 10-11 years old and the sat nav is ancient in terms of what's available now. Technology moves that quickly these days that manufacturers just can't keep up with their in house offerings and are moving more towards android/apple based offerings which are used and updated on so many more devices.
That’s why a lot of manufacturers are binning off satnav for CarPlay and Android Auto. Phone updates are regular and often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The system was already obsolete in 2016. With Pivi pro now out no chance for the navy System to get updates for long. apple/android car play are much better and easier to use.

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,375 Posts
Maps in my car (a Volvo) are updated every couple of months Over The Air.

The Volvo is many times a better car than the Disco Sport was. Jaguar lost me at the F Pace with its lower quality interior than the XF I was coming from.
As much as I loved the F Pace loners when I had the X250, the X260 put her right off the Fpace when we decided to get shut.
if all that makes sense.
I'd be interested to read how a like for like Volvo was better than a Disco.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Just backs up my theory that you shouldn’t buy a car for the tech.

·
Super Moderator
19,907 Posts
As much as I loved the F Pace loners when I had the X250, the X260 put her right off the Fpace when we decided to get shut.
if all that makes sense.
I'd be interested to read how a like for like Volvo was better than a Disco.
Dave, I’ve documented it before but basically for a 2.5 year gap and £4K more than the Disco I have a car that hasn’t been to the garage once other than for ad blue and a software update (which I asked for because I knew it was out) I have a car with many more toys

Massaging seats
Active matrix headlights
Air suspension
Better infotainment system
No rattles
No oil dilution that i know of
Mild hybrid tech
Opening pano roof
Adjustable response steering
Pilot assist
Blind spot mirrors
Cross traffic alert
HUD
Adaptive cruise

Not hard to see why I prefer the Volvo

And a nicer drive to boot.

·
Registered
17,818 Posts
But do you need all those toys to prevent you from nodding off? :sleep:

;)

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,375 Posts
Dave, I’ve documented it before but basically for a 2.5 year gap and £4K more than the Disco I have a car that hasn’t been to the garage once other than for ad blue and a software update (which I asked for because I knew it was out) I have a car with many more toys

Massaging seats
Active matrix headlights
Air suspension
Better infotainment system
No rattles
No oil dilution that i know of
Mild hybrid tech
Opening pano roof
Adjustable response steering
Pilot assist
Blind spot mirrors
Cross traffic alert
HUD
Adaptive cruise

Not hard to see why I prefer the Volvo

And a nicer drive to boot.
ahh, remember that now.
the x260 had much of that...but ,well, you know.

I may have dropped lucky with the velar but I do miss the HUD...

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,375 Posts
But do you need all those toys to prevent you from nodding off? :sleep:

;)
never had the coffee cup icon flash up on this or the last motor, not even on a drive from oop North to Bournemouth Airport.

the thai girl sandwich massage function is great.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts