Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last week or so I've been getting very intermittent faults with ABS and TPMS.

It started with just ABS, but then followed with a raft of related errors. The car drives fine other than blocking special modes, and cruise control (speed limiter still works). Even an emergency stop test was pretty reliable.

Then it threw in a TPMS error, all tyre pressures checked, no issue.

Sometimes, it's just the TPMS error now, sometimes the whole shebang, and a couple of times, nothing.

I've tried a cheapee OBD reader, and it doesn't even see a code. I've read online that it can be battery level related, I did ~160 miles on Sunday, and yet seen no lasting improvement on the likelihood of the errors showing.

Took it to Halfords for a free battery health check today and it's flagging at 61% which is apparently a "recommended replacement". We did a loaded and unloaded check too and they say the alternator is working fine.

Interesting thing is, the battery was replaced almost exactly 3 years ago by Jaguar, under warranty to try to fix the fact that the Auto-Stop-Start almost never works (it didn't fix it either).

I'm tempted to change the battery, £190 according to this ECP search (Lion AGM 019 Car Battery - 3 year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts) doesn't seem toooo bad every 3 years, but would be keen to get others thoughts.

·
21,253 Posts
Try Halfords for batteries - they have a 5 yr guarantee on theirs.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tayna on an online marketplace. Varta battery oem Jaguar. Next day delivery and very good prices. You need to also reset the BMS when you fit a new one. It calibrates the management system. Use a voltmeter to check normal off charge voltage. You need around 12.6v. Also it might be worthwhile charging with one of the pulsing type chargers to gently fully charge the battery. Too many short journeys leaves it depleted. Minimum 4 to 5 year life should be on here.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I bought my new battery from Halfords. 5 year warranty and they delivered and fitted it at my home and reset the BMS...all for £230.
I thought it was good value.
My brother would have looked for the cheapest battery that would do the job ... but I don't see the point in skimping on something that is so vital to a modern Jaguar.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I have just purchased a Yuasa top rated battery for £100 delivered, fitted it myself, a very easy job to do, and reset the BMS. Phil

• Haha
Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,084 Posts
Sudden unexplained multiple error messages often point in this direction, especially if no codes shown. It’s a relatively cheap first step.

Reactions: darrenham

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Halfords' only option is own brand, any downsides on this at all?

Is part of the issue with these that being in the boot they get cold and stay cold?

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,084 Posts
No experience of Halfords own brand. I‘m no expert but I don’t think the position of the battery is the issue, these cars have multiple systems drawing on the battery in a variety of situations, once it starts to lose its efficiency it will run down fairly quickly.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you get the same battery type (AGM vs. flooded cell) and amperage why would you need to reset the BMS? Do you reset it after topping off a low battery? Just asking.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
@Sdotk will be along in a minute to warn you of my impending moan about the F'ing BMS... 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Sdotk

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
If you get the same battery type (AGM vs. flooded cell) and amperage why would you need to reset the BMS? Do you reset it after topping off a low battery? Just asking.
The BMS should be reset via diagnostics if the battery is changed. If you charge the battery correctly, i.e. on the vehicle but not via the positive and negative terminal posts, use the positive post and a convenient chassis point for negative, then no need to touch the BMS. The BMS should eventually work things out though.

·
Registered
665 Posts
...The BMS should be reset via diagnostics if the battery is changed. .....
I know that's the common belief but why? My understanding is the BMS is set for battery type and amps and it does all the charging calculations based on that information. If you exchange like for like battery those parameters don't change. I went through this exercise years ago on a BMW with the first BMS I ever encountered. After research and getting the BMW white paper on the system I came to the conclusion you don't have to reset it unless you change the battery type or amperage. A BMW mechanic confirmed that. The BMS just needs to know the battery type to set the charge rate, and battery capacity to allow for room to capture the regen energy being generated while braking/off throttle. Some stories about batteries blowing up due to incorrect BMS settings after a battery type change and I can see that happening.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Well done Pete, I can't be bothered to retype all the debated stuff we've covered on this subject. To anyone else interested - use the search function.

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
665 Posts
Do any of the attached help?
Thanks Pete, but not really. Although they are for the X250 I doubt there's any change for the X260. They really don't go into the "why". The reason I even bring this up is because I, like many, regularly check the battery SOC and trickle charge to max when it approaches 50%. I do mostly short trips so this happens about three times a year. So what's the difference between charging the battery and replacing it with a new like battery? The BMS monitors SOC real time but doesn't know how old the battery is, or if it has just been replaced, just its' SOH.

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just bought a battery from Halfords, paid for fitting, but they couldn't fit as their computer would only do the x250 not the x260 (got that refunded). But I have a battery.

I assume the BMS reset isn't something that can be done from the vehicle and needs a relevant OBD device?

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Thanks Pete, but not really. Although they are for the X250 I doubt there's any change for the X260. They really don't go into the "why". The reason I even bring this up is because I, like many, regularly check the battery SOC and trickle charge to max when it approaches 50%. I do mostly short trips so this happens about three times a year. So what's the difference between charging the battery and replacing it with a new like battery? The BMS monitors SOC real time but doesn't know how old the battery is, or if it has just been replaced, just its' SOH.
The "why" is because the BMS then knows that the battery is new and will then treat it as such and not like it would treat an 'older' battery in terms of charging/discharging routines for best performance/longevity of the battery.. the blurb suggests that the BMS would eventually adjust it's routines anyway, the BMS however, must be seen/considered a lying POS!!...

;)

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Just bought a battery from Halfords, paid for fitting, but they couldn't fit as their computer would only do the x250 not the x260 (got that refunded). But I have a battery.

I assume the BMS reset isn't something that can be done from the vehicle and needs a relevant OBD device?
Correct Darren.. whether a reset is needed is a hot topic.. it will also depend on your normal mileage?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts