Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member of this community and I guess it's time to introduce myself. My name is Dennis, I'm 34 years old and from Germany. Within the last fifteen years my biggest hobby was the ownership of sporty Japanese RWD and AWD cars. Till now I owned eight cars by my own, seven Japanese ones and one Swedish one. All of them had turbocharged engines because I was never a big fan of big natural aspirated engines. Due to the fact that I have no real priority between a left-hand or right-hand drive car so some of them were LHD and the other ones RHD. My recent ride is a Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type UK with a forged engine.

Three years ago I had my first encounter with a Jaguar XF and since that happened, I have the forcing demand to own one by myself. Within the last months I informed me a lot about the facelifted X250 and the recent X260 because I wasn’t really sure about which one would fit my belongings perfectly. So I went to the next car dealership to compare both ones and decided me personally for the X260. After informing me about all available engines I am not sure which one would fit my belongings best because I have read a lot of bad stuff about my former first two favorites.

My first two favorites were the V6 Supercharged and the V6 Diesel but both engines seems to be really weak. Regarding the supercharged engine I read a lot about broken supercharger pulleys, rattling timing chains caused by a bad tensioner, periodic leaking cooling pipes and faulty water pumps, problems with the valve train especially about ticking noises caused by bad valve fitting tolerances. I was a very big fan of the former X250 XFR and my hope was, that the V6 supercharged engine wouldn’t have the same technical problems like the V8 supercharged engine but sadly all of them are still included again.

I made my first Jaguar driving experience with the V6 Diesel and this engine surprised me a lot with a phenomenal wide band of torque. I really thought that this could be my first diesel engine because I was convinced by the offered fuel economy and especially strong performance. Due to the fact that I drive 15.000-17.500 kilometers every year, a diesel engine would make sense. However there are also a lot of horrible stories about this engine, broken crankshafts, big end bearing issues, EGR and DPF failures, leaky injectors or coolant contaminated with oil. That is really annoying because this engine was my biggest favorite at all.

Finally, what’s to say about the current self-developed Ingenium engines? I’m considering buying a 25D AWD with the 2.0 twin-turbo diesel engine or a 30T AWD with the 2.0 turbo petrol engine. As a real petrolhead normally I would go with the 30T because since now I have read nothing negative about this engine and there also some nice performance parts available to push the engine power up to 340 bhp and 355 ft/lb. Regarding the driving characteristics for me it is also an advantage to have a lower weight on the front axle.

Then again the 25D seems to be also a very good alternative. The most important thing, this small twin-turbo diesel engine has stronger internals than the 20D, a much better fuel economy than the 30T and there is also the possibility to push the engine power up to 300 bhp and 430 ft/lb. I guess performance-wise I won’t be satisfied with a standard 25D so a remap would be essential for me. Thanks to the all-wheel-drive system this setup shouldn’t be really inferior to my former favorite, the rear-wheel-drive based 30D.

What can you tell me about your experiences made with both engines? Are the internals weak or strong enough for fast driving demands? Are there any known technical problems which can cause heavy engine failures? I haven’t found anything about long-term experiences and it would be glad to read more about their qualities. Many thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
12,469 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dennis. I've had 2x V6 diesel X250 XF's for 5 years and 40k miles (65k kms)each and had no problems at all. The crankshaft problems seem to be applicable to the same engines in Range Rovers, Discovery's etc., not Jaguars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dennis. As with all car enthusiast forums, most of the members who post are those with problems. There are 1000's of us who have owned cars and never had a major problem. I love my V6 diesel!

·
Administrator
30,909 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dennis.

The problem with researching cars on the internet is that people tend only to put up stories of failures, and if you search for engine failures, you will surely find them!

I did 140K miles using the V6 diesels over two separate cars. (both X250s). I never had a major engine issue, and I used the performance available regularly.

I also did another 40k miles in a RRS with the V6 diesel, that had other issues (many!) but not engine failure. Although the broken crank issue seemed to be a Land Rover thing, rarely if ever in a Jaguar for some reason.

I can't comment on the V6 s/c petrol engines, no doubt they have the same issues (mainly timing chain tensioners) as we have seen reported here by a couple of V8 owners.

Overall, these engines are no worse than those in other marques IMHO, and better than some.

Whatever you chose, I hope you enjoy your Jaguar.

·
Super Moderator
30,552 Posts
As Wilf has said, if you go looking for engine issues across all the brands you will find them.

I had two 3.0 diesel XF's and an XFR with the 5.0 Supercharged engine, never had any engine issues with any of them and all were remapped within 100 miles of owning them, they were all new cars.

One point to be wary of is oil dilution on the Ingenium and the 3.0 V6 engines, my wife has a 2017 Evoque with a 2.0 Ingenium Engine that suffers this issue and consequently we are looking to get rid, I certainly wouldn't want a car that suffers this issue when out of warranty.

My personal opinion would be to look for a 3.0 Supercharged XF :)

Good luck with the search

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
At first I would like to thank you for the warm welcome :)

The crankshaft problems seem to be applicable to the same engines in Range Rovers, Discovery's etc., not Jaguars.
I read that a lot of Land Rover Discovery and Citroen C6 owners had those problems, that's right. The DT306 seems to fail very often here. Especially regarding the crankshaft, both turbochagers and the EGR valve. Problems with the DPF regeneration got also mentioned more than very often. In our german discussion boards are also same cases related to the F-Pace 30D and XF 30D (X250/X260). Especially about heavy oil dilution which scares me a lot. From my point of view for me a petrol engine seems to be the right way to go. That will be the best decision because my car gets also often used for short driving distances on weekends.

One point to be wary of is oil dilution on the Ingenium and the 3.0 V6 engines, my wife has a 2017 Evoque with a 2.0 Ingenium Engine that suffers this issue and consequently we are looking to get rid, I certainly wouldn't want a car that suffers this issue when out of warranty.
What kind of Ingenium engine is it? A diesel or petrol powered on? I have read that especially the 20D suffers from this problem, too. Since now I was very happy that I don't read any negative experiences about the petrol Ingenium engines. The 30T is my favorite based on the good fuel economy, enough performance for daily driving, some nice performance modification possibilities and especially the all-wheel drive system.

·
Registered
12,700 Posts
Petrol it is!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,389 Posts
I've just done a 660-mile (1,056 km) round trip to Scotland. Average: 47.8 mpg! (5.9 l/100km)
Diesel for me! At the moment anyway.

Reactions: Majagua

·
Super Moderator
30,552 Posts
At first I would like to thank you for the warm welcome :)

I read that a lot of Land Rover Discovery and Citroen C6 owners had those problems, that's right. The DT306 seems to fail very often here. Especially regarding the crankshaft, both turbochagers and the EGR valve. Problems with the DPF regeneration got also mentioned more than very often. In our german discussion boards are also same cases related to the F-Pace 30D and XF 30D (X250/X260). Especially about heavy oil dilution which scares me a lot. From my point of view for me a petrol engine seems to be the right way to go. That will be the best decision because my car gets also often used for short driving distances on weekends.

What kind of Ingenium engine is it? A diesel or petrol powered on? I have read that especially the 20D suffers from this problem, too. Since now I was very happy that I don't read any negative experiences about the petrol Ingenium engines. The 30T was my recent favorite based on the good fuel economy, enough performance for daily driving, some nice performance modification possibilities and especially the AWD system.
It is the 2.0D

·
Super Moderator
30,552 Posts
I've just done a 660-mile (1,056 km) round trip to Scotland. Average: 47.8 mpg! (5.9 l/100km)
Diesel for me! At the moment anyway.
I did a 370 mile round trip last Wednesday and averaged 37.4 mpg, so not so far behind in a 3.0 twin turbo car producing 400bhp, having AWD and using the cheaper sweet nectar :)

·
Registered
23,389 Posts
I did a 370 mile round trip last Wednesday and averaged 37.4 mpg, so not so far behind in a 3.0 twin turbo car producing 400bhp, having AWD and using the cheaper sweet nectar :)
Yes, but . . . . . . . . it ain't an XJ, is it? :cool:

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
As Wilf has said, if you go looking for engine issues across all the brands you will find them.

I had two 3.0 diesel XF's and an XFR with the 5.0 Supercharged engine, never had any engine issues with any of them and all were remapped within 100 miles of owning them, they were all new cars.

My personal opinion would be to look for a 3.0 Supercharged XF :)

Good luck with the search
The problem with the oil dilution is due to the distance between 2 emission components. The disco sport and evoque are the worst affected with 700mm between components. The XF is close coupled so not affected.
See here for affected JLR vehicles
https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.php?110168-Oil-dilution-issues

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
When I bought my Jaguar early this year and joined this forum and started delving into various posts I think I may have become a bit of an, erm autochondriac? Buying an icarsoft probably didn't help.

But 10,000 miles later I've had:

• Passenger door lock replaced (under warranty before picking it up)
  • Boot catch fixed (under warranty before picking it up)
  • Swollen caliper guide pin bush, probably due to someone previously using copper grease on the rubber. Inexpensive and easy fix
  • Some brake judder which new pads seems to have cured, again an easy and inexpensive fix.
  • Frozen door lock when temp is below -5. I've got new foam coming tomorrow costing £6

Timing belt and water pump done recently but that was routine servicing.

I think that's it? So all in all it's actually been a very reliable car so far for seven years of age and what is most surprising is that I do a lot of very short trips yet my DPF is performing great.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
When I bought my Jaguar early this year and joined this forum and started delving into various posts I think I may have become a bit of an, erm autochondriac?...
"a bit" !!!.. :eek:

:rofl:

;) .. :D

·
Super Moderator
30,552 Posts

·
Registered
23,389 Posts
Tony’s 3.0d XJ suffered from Oil Dilution too
Which I have never understood.
If, as I believe, the "architecture" of the engine in Tony's 2016 XJ was the same as that in my 2015 XJ, then why would one have problems achieving DPF regenerations and the other, not?
Something else is at play here, to do with adblue and the amount and frequency of diesel post-injections. I reckon a software adjustment would/should have cured that issue. On the XJ at least.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺

·
Super Moderator
30,552 Posts
Which I have never understood.
If, as I believe, the "architecture" of the engine in Tony's 2016 XJ was the same as that in my 2015 XJ, then why would one have problems achieving DPF regenerations and the other, not?
Something else is at play here, to do with adblue and the amount and frequency of diesel post-injections. I reckon a software adjustment would/should have cured that issue. On the XJ at least.

Not all Evoque’s suffer the issue either and since the last service, the oil in Mrs A’s car is stable, but jeez does this bitch have a thirst for adblue :eek:

·
Registered
23,389 Posts
Not all Evoque’s suffer the issue either and since the last service, the oil in Mrs A’s car is stable, but jeez does this bitch have a thirst for adblue :eek:
And what about the car, Dave? ;)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts