Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XF 4.2 premium luxury
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

A family member is looking at a F-pace with the 2.0d ingenium engine, one of the earlier years and actually I fancy the discovery sport and the 2.0d is the only diesel option after feb.2016. Let's put aside the chain problems and the balancing shafts, as that is something that could be considered maintainance. Dpf issues could be solved with removing the dpf (our government really doesn't care about that).
Are the rest of all the horror stories true from the internet? When I look at mobile.de from 23 damaged Discovery sports only 3 are accident cars and 20 are engine damaged and used engines seem extremely expensive in Europe even compared to anything else from JLR.
What are your thoughts and experiences?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I can't comment on the reliability, but in terms of the DPF, it's there for the environment, for all of us regardless of legislation so I'd politely request you leave it on :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't comment on the reliability, but in terms of the DPF, it's there for the environment, for all of us regardless of legislation so I'd politely request you leave it on :)
That was just to address the oil dilution issues, as that is the first thing that always pops up on the issues of 2.0d. All three of my cars still have all the emissions stuff in them 😀

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
I wasn't aware that the F-Pace with the 2-litre 4-cylinder engine suffered from oil dilution. I'm sure it doesn't.
Or indeed that the Croatian government couldn't care about the environment. I'm sure it does.

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,354 Posts
I wasn't aware that the F-Pace with the 2-litre 4-cylinder engine suffered from oil dilution. I'm sure it doesn't.
Or indeed that the Croatian government couldn't care about the environment. I'm sure it does.
The Fpace doesn't, nor does the XF.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We don't have fines in place like other countrys for dpf removal, and on our variant of MOT they don't check last regens, they only check if you have an emissions CEL and that's it when it comes to emissions + CO2, so mapped cars without dpfs pass without a problem. I wouldn't say that cracking down on illegal dpf removals is something that they have on their priority list.

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
The F-Pace, XF and XE have close coupled DPF so don’t suffer. We ran a 2.0L d F-Pace for 32 months and covered 25k. The only issue was a failed adblue injector which was covered under warranty.
My XF has the same engine and has done 42k miles. I change the oil annually or every 8k as advised by my independent mechanic.

They can suffer turbo issues at higher mileages if the services have been left to the longer recommendation.

On the early E-Pace, Evoque and Discovery Sport DPF is further along the exhaust and do suffer oil dilution problems if you are doing short journeys where the DPF never gets a chance to warm properly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The F-Pace, XF and XE have close coupled DPF so don’t suffer. We ran a 2.0L d F-Pace for 32 months and covered 25k. The only issue was a failed adblue injector which was covered under warranty.
My XF has the same engine and has done 42k miles. I change the oil annually or every 8k as advised by my independent mechanic.

They can suffer turbo issues at higher mileages if the services have been left to the longer recommendation.

On the early E-Pace, Evoque and Discovery Sport DPF is further along the exhaust and do suffer oil dilution problems if you are doing short journeys where the DPF never gets a chance to warm properly.
Great feedback, thank you.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
We don't have fines in place like other countrys for dpf removal, and on our variant of MOT they don't check last regens, they only check if you have an emissions CEL and that's it when it comes to emissions + CO2, so mapped cars without dpfs pass without a problem. I wouldn't say that cracking down on illegal dpf removals is something that they have on their priority list.
I don't think it was really a question of if you'd get away with it or not, it was more a case of if it was morally right to do so. I appreciate it would be much better if we just did away with all fossil fueled vehicles entirely, but the devices that are put there to reduce emissions, really shouldn't be removed just to make it more convenient, or less bothersome for yourself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think it was really a question of if you'd get away with it or not, it was more a case of if it was morally right to do so. I appreciate it would be much better if we just did away with all fossil fueled vehicles entirely, but the devices that are put there to reduce emissions, really shouldn't be removed just to make it more convenient, or less bothersome for yourself.
I agree with you, that's why my XF still has both cats in and both diesels still have dpfs, this was more about the common issues and what to expect from the 2.0d as I only know of one person that has one and it's just a few months old, so it's not a good reference.

·
Registered
XF Sportbrake Portfolio 2013MY with Meridian Surround
90 Posts
Hi there,

A family member is looking at a F-pace with the 2.0d ingenium engine, one of the earlier years and actually I fancy the discovery sport and the 2.0d is the only diesel option after feb.2016. Let's put aside the chain problems and the balancing shafts, as that is something that could be considered maintainance. Dpf issues could be solved with removing the dpf (our government really doesn't care about that).
Are the rest of all the horror stories true from the internet? When I look at mobile.de from 23 damaged Discovery sports only 3 are accident cars and 20 are engine damaged and used engines seem extremely expensive in Europe even compared to anything else from JLR.
What are your thoughts and experiences?
Jags don't suffer the same oil issues as the Land Rovers with similar engines. I think the Discovery will be better value for money, but they do need regular oil changes every 5k and I didn't like the 9 speed gearbox. I'd recommend oil changes at around 10k on the Jag.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jags don't suffer the same oil issues as the Land Rovers with similar engines. I think the Discovery will be better value for money, but they do need regular oil changes every 5k and I didn't like the 9 speed gearbox. I'd recommend oil changes at around 10k on the Jag.
I took a 2020' F pace 20d for a test drive and I really liked it, I need to try the x260 as well and I'll decide, but the DS is off the table for me. At least the chain replacement will be an easier DIY with a longitudinal engine 😂

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,354 Posts
I took a 2020' F pace 20d for a test drive and I really liked it, I need to try the x260 as well and I'll decide, but the DS is off the table for me. At least the chain replacement will be an easier DIY with a longitudinal engine 😂
F Pace for me...if only because it doesn't have a prettier predecessor

• Haha
Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
XF Sportbrake Portfolio 2013MY with Meridian Surround
90 Posts
Not sure which is easier. Gearbox has to come out on the Jag ( probably does on the LR as well) and you have to get at the front as well to lock the crank. You seem to get more for your money on Land Rovers and parts tend to be more readily available and cheaper. Some parts are the same on both makes so if you shop around you can get cheaper deals. I replaced the fuel filter in my X260 recently. The wrong one had been fitted in the past although it was similar. Prices ranged from £40 to £200 in the UK for exactly the same part, genuine JLR parts! I bought a Land Rover equivalent filter, just had to swop the mounting bracket over.....this was the £40 option!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts