Jaguar Forum banner

Incontrol sim - data allowance?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  DAVENN 
#1 ·
Hi

After over 3 happy years with my current XF I'm about to take the plunge and upgrade to a nearly new full-fat XF S v6 supercharged- very excited!

I've been looking at the info re the incontrol pro setup which I'll get with the car, and understand I need to add a dedicated data only sim to the car for full functionality.

Does anyone have any experience of this, and could offer advice on what data package it needs? Clearly it would depend on usage, but what is it used for - for example I'm assuming music could be streamed via my existing smartphone or would it use the car's data connection for this?

Thanks

Fi

#2 ·
You are correct re streaming music which can be via Bluetooth or through InControl hardwired. If you have an iPhone then you can use Spotify app For this (still not available on Android), which is pretty poor.

I bought a 3 sim with 12gb data for about £20/£25 and expect it will last the 12 months easily given my current usage.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Hi

After over 3 happy years with my current XF I'm about to take the plunge and upgrade to a nearly new full-fat XF S v6 supercharged- very excited!

I've been looking at the info re the incontrol pro setup which I'll get with the car, and understand I need to add a dedicated data only sim to the car for full functionality.

Does anyone have any experience of this, and could offer advice on what data package it needs? Clearly it would depend on usage, but what is it used for - for example I'm assuming music could be streamed via my existing smartphone or would it use the car's data connection for this?
Excellent choice of car (obviously I'm a little biased).

Yes, you need to add a sim card, I also got a 3 one, although mine happened to be on offer with 24Gb rather than the 12...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CMD4VKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Mine is mostly used for traffic updates, sat nav destination journey notifications, street view etc. I don't stream music through it from Spotify but you can if you wish, or use your phone. I have set up my car sim to provide the data connection for the wifi hotspot in the car so the kids iPads can connect. My phone has a lower data allowance, so it's better they go through the car's connection.

In a year I've used less than 1GB so I suspect the data will expire rather than run out! I expect if I used something like Spotify it'd go quicker.

#5 ·
What are the latest Sim card recommendations for ICTP?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.