Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
So you are saying that JLR wrote two completely different pieces of software for their cars, eventhough most of the functionality is the same? I don't buy it. It doesn't make any sense to do that.
Yep, ICT user interface is completely different, that's software.
The hardware control modules in the background are different, that's hardware and software.
The screen is different, with physical buttons, that's hardware and different control software.
The physical screen buttons also differ in function and operation between Markets...
Some of those software modules may well be the same between ICT and ICTP but not the whole system.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Firm Rampant Member
15,608 Posts
Yep, ICT user interface is completely different, that's software.
The hardware control modules in the background are different, that's hardware and software.
The screen is different, with physical buttons, that's hardware and different control software.
The physical screen buttons also differ in function and operation between Markets...
something tells me that this subject was discussed ages back.. I'm not in any way having a pop at the OP I'll have a looksy

·
Super Moderator
28,976 Posts
I've used both systems and they didn't see much different to me. Sure Pro had some additional features but the look and feel was the same. I'm sure some of the hardware was different for the additional features etc, but the rest can be controlled with software. Having a different sized screen and buttons doesn't matter. Just look at phones, more so Android, all different shapes and sizes, some with buttons, others without, all running the same software underneath.

If it's true that they are two totally different systems then no wonder JLR dropped ICT so soon have dropped ICTP already.

·
Firm Rampant Member
15,608 Posts
I've used both systems and they didn't see much different to me. Sure Pro had some additional features but the look and feel was the same. I'm sure some of the hardware was different for the additional features etc, but the rest can be controlled with software. Having a different sized screen and buttons doesn't matter. Just look at phones, more so Android, all different shapes and sizes, some with buttons, others without, all running the same software underneath.

If it's true that they are two totally different systems then no wonder JLR dropped ICT so soon have dropped ICTP already.
Chris
I promise you the satnav interface were different .
not sure about the phone or other features.

·
Firm Rampant Member
15,608 Posts
why not replace?

Screenshot_20210401-131219_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
There are several replacement options for ICT on XE and XF. The last one I looked at, and mentioned on this forum, couldn't swap automatically to the built in reverse camera view.
Other than that, it was straighforward to install and seemed to work well with Android Auto and Apple carplay.

I may be tempted by that in future as, with only 30k on the car at nearly 5 yrs, I'll probably hang onto it for a few years yet.

This is the one I initially looked at

There are cheaper versions available, but I suspect they are all the same under the skin.... but let's stay away from that conversation ;)

·
Firm Rampant Member
15,608 Posts
There are several replacement options for ICT on XE and XF. The last one I looked at, and mentioned on this forum, couldn't swap automatically to the built in reverse camera view.
Other than that, it was straighforward to install and seemed to work well with Android Auto and Apple carplay.

I may be tempted by that in future as, with only 30k on the car at nearly 5 yrs, I'll probably hang onto it for a few years yet.

This is the one I initially looked at

There are cheaper versions available, but I suspect they are all the same under the skin.... but let's stay away from that conversation ;)
chortle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I like integration and many of those systems have glaring faults, like not engaging reversing cameras, steering wheel buttons not working etc

·
Firm Rampant Member
15,608 Posts
I like integration and many of those systems have glaring faults, like not engaging reversing cameras, steering wheel buttons not working etc
the one I looked at offers the lot.

·
Firm Rampant Member
15,608 Posts
sorry no.
however please look at the text, in my post above, from a far inferior jag forum.
it's a good place to start.

it's still an expensive solution, IMHO.

is using the likes of waze not an option?

Does your system, I suspect not, support android auto?

·
Registered
7,803 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
15,608 Posts
Reactions: Statler

·
19,578 Posts
I've no problems with my ICTP thankfully. Still receiving updates for sat-nav and the software.

·
Firm Rampant Member
15,608 Posts
I've no problems with my ICTP thankfully. Still receiving updates for sat-nav and the software.
yours is the pro though.

·
19,578 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
No indication on the naviextras site that they are no longer updating their maps but then I am not registered.

·
Firm Rampant Member
15,608 Posts
It is, as denoted by the P in my previous post.
yes I noted the additional letter...earlier where we discussed that the p version is not subject to the withdrawal of support ( for now)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
No indication on the naviextras site that they are no longer updating their maps but then I am not registered.
I just posted an email from Jaguar saying they've dropped their contract with Naviextras and there will be no more maps. Further if you go to Naviextras it loops you back to the Jaguar InControl updater, and I have the latest maps which are Q4 2019.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
I just posted an email from Jaguar saying they've dropped their contract with Naviextras and there will be no more maps. Further if you go to Naviextras it loops you back to the Jaguar InControl updater, and I have the latest maps which are Q4 2019.
How did you work out what version the maps are?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts