Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found someone on this site who installed the illuminated tread plates onto his Jaguar XF, which I downloaded. (I purchased the plates from a site in RUSSIA, with a little apprehension, but they came through and are good to go). However, reading the info downloaded it did not mention the possible problem of removing the front offside cover plate which houses the "air bag". I am a little concerned by wrenching them off it will cause it to explode. Has anyone got any info with regards to removing it please
My car is a 2014 XF 2.2L
Graham

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
You’ll be fine they’re not the trigger mechanism, but if your still wary disconnect your battery. Oh and welcome to the forum, pics when you‘re done

·
Registered
18,220 Posts
Please don't "wrench" off the A pillar trim. There's a small plastic plate (says "airbag"). Flip that out and you'll see a Torx screw underneath (can't remember the size. Unscrew it. The trim will then pop off it's clips with a gentle(ish) pull.
As Gav says, you aren't going to trigger the airbag.
One final point, run any wiring BEHIND the airbag.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
No need to remove the A pillar trim. You just remove the panel at the drivers side of the dashboard. See the how to section for instructions.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Here
and here are the official instructions

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks to you all who responded. I have a rather worried wife who thinks the fitting is beyond me. Me, on the other hand cannot wait to get going. Only wish I was lucky enough to have a garage, or even a lean-to, but I now have to wait for the weather to brighten up before attempting this mammoth task. I will use my phone to take pictures as I go.(funny thing is I thought that phones were for making calls. Probably shows my age)
Once again many thanks to those who replied.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Many thanks to you all who responded. I have a rather worried wife who thinks the fitting is beyond me. Me, on the other hand cannot wait to get going. Only wish I was lucky enough to have a garage, or even a lean-to, but I now have to wait for the weather to brighten up before attempting this mammoth task. I will use my phone to take pictures as I go.(funny thing is I thought that phones were for making calls. Probably shows my age)
Once again many thanks to those who replied.
I fitted them having never done anything electrical prior, minus tapping into a wire that was already there for an illumiated hear knob on an e46 and done it via video call 😂

You will be fine

·
Super Moderator
19,976 Posts
Shame you are a fair distance from Sunday Club in Stoke. We have done these 3 times now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please don't "wrench" off the A pillar trim. There's a small plastic plate (says "airbag"). Flip that out and you'll see a Torx screw underneath (can't remember the size. Unscrew it. The trim will then pop off it's clips with a gentle(ish) pull.
Hi again, Went out this morning confident I could follow the instructions given on this site, namely remove the airbag sign from the offside cover to find a bolt which then enables the airbag to be removed. I removed the sticky airbag sign but there is no bolt to remove. The other suggestion was to disconnect the battery (of which there are two!) thus disabling the power to the airbag. Does this affect anything other than the radio code (of which I have), and if so, what else can I expect? If this does not work, then I have been informed (by the higher authority!!) I need to get a professional in to install the tread plates!!!
Regards

Graham

·
Registered
18,220 Posts
Sorry Graham. When I posted my instructions I thought you were referring the trim on the "A" pillar (the pillar each side of the windscreen). As Gordon (starkgr) subsequently pointed out, you don't need to remove that, just the plastic panel at the end of the dashboard. This merely pulls off but you do need to pull part of the door seal away first.
This my XJ (when I was wiring in my dashcam) but the XF is very similar.
20180325_180821.jpg

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
See post #5 for shortcut to picture guide. The cover levers off, no screws, and the wiring plug is behind the end plate.
the only reason to take off the other parts is to route the wiring to keep it hidden.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry Graham. When I posted my instructions I thought you were referring the trim on the "A" pillar (the pillar each side of the windscreen). As Gordon (starkgr) subsequently pointed out, you don't need to remove that, just the plastic panel at the end of the dashboard. This merely pulls off but you do need to pull part of the door seal away first.
This my XJ (when I was wiring in my dashcam) but the XF is very similar.
View attachment 179694 View attachment 179694
Thanks for such a speedy reply. So I will press on and gently lever off the side panel shown removed on your excellent photos. I assume then the sticker on said panel is referring to the bag in the "A" pillar. Always strange taking things off of my Jaguar for the first time. I had fitted a front/rear dashcam which cost me £200 to be fitted by a professional electrician, which is why I am attempting to fit these myself. Thus saving the difference between Jaguars pricing to the price I paid which was £284 I seem to remember.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I have at last taken the plunge and removed the "side plate", which I assumed had a bag behind it, but of course it did not!! I have removed the plug as instructed and found the "red insert". Try as I might, I cannot get the red protection cover out more than a quarter of an inch. Any useful advice before I take the hammer and chisel to it would be fantastic. I am not sure if we can exchange email addresses or wattsapp details over this medium, so as to facilitate a quicker reply. Please advise as I do not want to ruin my ability to use this excellent site.

Best regards

Graham

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I seem to remember mine being a pig to get apart.. was worried about causing damage.. in the end I had to use far more brute force with a good pair of pliers than I thought would have been needed...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yeah, they resist quite a bit, one they have moved a little they are actually released. I used the shaft of my pick to pull it out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I have at last taken the plunge and removed the "side plate", which I assumed had a bag behind it, but of course it did not!! I have removed the plug as instructed and found the "red insert". Try as I might, I cannot get the red protection cover out more than a quarter of an inch. Any useful advice before I take the hammer and chisel to it would be fantastic. I am not sure if we can exchange email addresses or wattsapp details over this medium, so as to facilitate a quicker reply. Please advise as I do not want to ruin my ability to use this excellent site.

Best regards

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Iirc it has a locking tab on the top of the main connector which has to be released before the red part pulls out. It’s just a standard type of locking tab for electrical connectors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Best regards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WELL EVERYONE "I DID IT". I cannot say how grateful I am to all the Members who managed to coax me with "little steps" and convincing me I could manage it. I have taken a few pictures during this laborious process which I will post when I have completed fitting everything back together. Of course now I cannot wait to go out to the car tonight to get the best view, and again I will post said picture. This is the second set of Treadplates I have purchased; the first set were a "Chinese buy", and I never fitted them to my past "S Type" because, although sold as an S Type fitting, the were completely the wrong shape. They are sitting in my attic waiting for me to resell. So if there is a Jaguar owner who wants to upgrade his treadplates, I will post a picture of them with my "NEW TREADPLATES. What makes you think I am so happy about fitting them.

Best regards and again thanks to all

Graham

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Well done Graham!! Bet you're well chuffed with yourself!! :cool:

Roll on tonight eh.. :D

I hope Mrs. Graham is suitably impressed.. (y)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts