Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I was about to wire in a towbar, and knowing a towbar has both permanent battery and ignition switched battery, I thought I would wire my dashcam at the back of the car where the towbar wiring goes. My Blackvue dashcam has the magic pro box and so need both perm and ign feeds. The dashcam wiring is long enough to reach the back, and you have to feed a wire to the back anyway for the rear camera, so 2 wires are tucked into the edge of the head lining from front to back............

To the right of the fuse box in the back is a loom with a loose 3 pin plug secured to it. One of the pins is 'ignition' or 'accessory'. Monitoring this pin is interesting. It is controlled by the lock and unlocking of the car, not whether the start button is pressed or not. It means it goes live as soon as you unlock the car.

Initially a bit skeptical, I realised this is actually a benefit for the Blackvue. The Blackvue takes several seconds to start recording, and with a conventional key ignition feed, I can be driving to the end of my road before it starts recording. Powering up the Blackvue when I unlock, will give it a head start to get recording just as I start and drive off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The connector has 2 live pins and the 'ignition' pin. As such I believe it is the 'Socket-auxiliary-Trailer' on page 202-04 - TOWING AND RECOVERY ATTACHMENTS of the wiring diagrams. 2 live pins - one for the trailer socket and one for the trailer module.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 2 permanent live pins are fused at F18 and F28 in the rear fuse box.. However, I cannot see/find where the accessory ('switched') pin is fused. It seems to come from the central junction fuse box but emanates from the electronics. I wonder if it is electronically current limited / short circuit protected? Any thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts