Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. "Getting back into an ordinary car afterwards is like stepping from the cockpit of a modern-day Boeing 787 Dreamliner into the nose of a Halifax bomber. That interior? I have never seen better..."

however, just what defines an ordinary car?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Indeed it’s a nice place where to seat. However if I remember Clark drove a full optional beast. The renter I used didn’t shine 100%. Quality was there, no doubt but the grained leather seats wasn’t good as the optional perforated Leather on the other renter Evoque I have used for a while. The touch pro duo was better on the Evoque than the touch pro basic on the Velar. The analogic dials on the dashboard taken from the Disco not the best move.Unresponsive wheel control, which look fantastic both in Evoque and Velar.
No lumbar support. I was expecting more soft touch material as in latest Merc and Bmw. Padded areas quite thin not squashy as I would expect. I could keep going but can’t be bother :)
Overall it does very well It’s job: looks good, feels good, shows you are not poor.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's important to drive a 'normal' car every now and then to maintain your perspective on these things.

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's important to drive a 'normal' car every now and then to maintain your perspective on these things.
fair comment.

but just what is normal?

I find both the Abarth ( which is seriously mental, skittish, exilerating on country roads and truly frightening at 100 +vat on a motorway ...Im led to believe) and the Velar to be my new normal.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Buy a Corsa to experience Normal.
Or drink less on Saturday night.

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why should I wish to do either?

Reactions: PeteA

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed it’s a nice place where to seat. However if I remember Clark drove a full optional beast. The renter I used didn’t shine 100%. Quality was there, no doubt but the grained leather seats wasn’t good as the optional perforated Leather on the other renter Evoque I have used for a while. The touch pro duo was better on the Evoque than the touch pro basic on the Velar. The analogic dials on the dashboard taken from the Disco not the best move.Unresponsive wheel control, which look fantastic both in Evoque and Velar.
No lumbar support. I was expecting more soft touch material as in latest Merc and Bmw. Padded areas quite thin not squashy as I would expect. I could keep going but can’t be bother :)
Overall it does very well It’s job: looks good, feels good, shows you are not poor.
luckily for me ...mine is a decent spec.
the seating with massage options and cooling .
Duo is the puppies.

·
Registered
544 Posts
fair comment.

but just what is normal?

I find both the Abarth ( which is seriously mental, skittish, exilerating on country roads and truly frightening at 100 +vat on a motorway ...Im led to believe) and the Velar to be my new normal.
Well, I have the Abarth's baby brother in the form of a Panda 100hp - which is a seriously good fun warm hatch that always brings a grin. After driving it and getting back into the Jag, you notice how much better the engineering is, how much quieter, smoother, quicker, better designed and modern it is (yes, it's a lot newer, I know) with bells and whistles.

Or, on the rare occasion when I drive the Mrs's 14 reg Zafira, I notice how numb the steering is with practically no feedback, how the brakes lack progression or feel, how the throttle map is a bit rubbish, how they somehow managed to cock the suspension up so badly it's both harsh over potholes but roly-poly in the corners, how you can hear the chrome inserts in the bumper and grille rattle, how it has that bloody stupid system where neither the indicator nor wiper switches 'lock' in position but return to centre each time.

So I'd say both are a version of 'normal' - either designed with low cost in mind (100hp) or no driver engagement engineered in (Zafira) rather than to be a nice place to sit and nice to drive.

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe James May once described a Dacia Sandero as being 'honest '... i would suggest the Fiat Panda is honest and that is not being disrespectful ...i would class it as a compliment.

Reactions: Pete McK

·
18,421 Posts
I believe James May once described a Dacia Sandero as being 'honest '... i would suggest the Fiat Panda is honest and that is not being disrespectful ...i would class it as a compliment.
My ex-lady (were just good friends now) has a Dacia Stepway Sandero. Nothing wrong with it for a city run-around. It's not the most torquey (at all), but if you rev it, it can go. Though it runs out of puff fairly easily being a 900cc. That said, for the price, its a good motor. Compared to mine, then you can certainly see where the differences in quality are.

Then the tech in mine is far ahead of hers. She doesn't have a touch screen or the likes, only basic text info comes up.

You gets what you pay for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts