Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
25,916 Posts
Like I said, it’s not just price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
... which leaves 'brand' to account for the difference in sales?

·
Super Moderator
26,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’m still unsure how the number of vehicles a brand sells affects whether it’s premium or not?

Take away the EV tech and Tesla is no different to Kia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,916 Posts
How can you discount the "EV tech" in a comparison between EV's?

·
Administrator
25,916 Posts
Because I don't think the drivetrain affects whether a vehicle is classed as premium or not.
It was the drivetrain & chassis that made Jaguar a premium brand.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I would suggest premium brands buyers buy/bought Tesla. Quality perceived on Tesla S or M3 or X or Y (well I din't see this in flash) is not premium. Interior quality is poor compared to price and compared to the I-Pace.
Based on price we agree is in the premium brands league.

·
Super Moderator
26,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So if I went out and bought a Hyundai Kona, took all the badges and logos off and slapped my own one on and sold it for £90k, would it suddenly become premium?

·
Administrator
25,916 Posts
I would suggest premium brands buyers buy/bought Tesla. Quality perceived on Tesla S or M3 or X or Y (well I din't see this in flash) is not premium. Interior quality is poor compared to price and compared to the I-Pace.
Based on price we agree is in the premium brands league.
I would take the interior of an iPace over any Tesla model in a heartbeat. The only argument here is whether the iPace & the Model X share the same market segment & Jaguar's claim to have made the first "premium" ESUV

·
Super Moderator
26,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I would take the interior of an iPace over any Tesla model in a heartbeat. The only argument here is whether the iPace & the Model X share the same market segment.
So are we discussing the market segment or whether a particular vehicle is premium or not?

·
Administrator
25,916 Posts
So if I went out and bought a Hyundai Kona, took all the badges and logos off and slapped my own one on and sold it for £90k, would it suddenly become premium?
No ... you wouldn't sell any at all. However ... if you put a Tesla badge on the Kona, you'd be able to increase the price by 25% & sell 10x more ... because it'd be a "premium" vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
26,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No ... you wouldn't sell any at all. However ... if you put a Tesla badge on the Kona, you'd be able to increase the price by 25% & sell 10x more ... because it'd be a "premium" vehicle.
I don't agree.

·
Administrator
25,916 Posts
So are we discussing the market segment or whether a particular vehicle is premium or not?
Jaguar are claiming the iPace is the first premium ESUV in a new segment ... so both.

·
Administrator
25,916 Posts
I don't agree.
The launch of the Tesla $25,000 compact vehicle should prove you wrong on that one.
Becasue, as said, premium means more than just price.
So what is it?

It's not build quality because there are several non-premium brands that build vehicles better than Jaguar do

It can't be design because we're discussing SUV's ... & they're all basically ugly.

It's not performance because the Model X wipes the floor with the iPace.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Based on price only it definitely is a premium brand.
Based on Kelly blue book Tesla=Luxury Brand

I have driven Both Tesla S and M3, both poor in soundproofing, noise from road and interior quality...so so... Jag Nailed it to this regard.

Money wise there is no Tesla able to wipe the floor with the I-pace. For that you need to spend 30k on top of the I-pace basic price.

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
I'm not joining in the "is it?/isn't it?" discussion regarding what is a premium brand. But my observation on this, after attending that iPace day-out thingy last year, was that the interior of the "First Edition" model I drove matched more the interior if the Model S I once sat in (!) than the interior of my XJ.
And anyone who has ever been on the inside of an early XE knows that Jaguar can do "cheap".

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The interior of the Ipace it's not cheap at all. At the same time it is not Xj, which will come soon. And Tesla S it is at least 2 steps down in terms of quality, more early XE cheap.
On Another note, one main problem for us living in the UK, it seems Tesla never took in consideration rain. The wipers can't cope with Scottish rain!

·
Administrator
25,916 Posts
Money wise there is no Tesla able to wipe the floor with the I-pace. For that you need to spend 30k on top of the I-pace basic price.
That's exactly my point ... Customers will pay more because Tesla is perceived to be a premium brand.

If Tesla ever decide to fit their vehicles with an iPace interior, then god help the rest of the motor industry!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You'll pay more to get best acceleration...and as per Jaguar usually the average Tesla buyer owns at least 2 cars.

About the interior, design wise is great. Quality is not perceived by the potential buyer as an issue.

and The Tesla buyer is not the Ipace buyer. 2 different cars for different needs.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts