Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,170 Posts
Welcome back, only thing I would suggest is try all the electrics, windows, seats etc.

Reactions: bluejmc2005

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks Pete, blame it all on me! BlueJMC - Don't know your first name - Just remember to exit out of all the menus, back to the basic main menu, on any scanner, no matter the make or the car, always the safest method. Disconnecting mid-conversation in the depths of module interrogation can, and does, end in tears.
Thanks all. I'll be sure to follow that advice. My name is Jason, by the way, apologies for not making that clear quite rude of me! I'm in Gloucester, and once again thank you all for taking the time to reply :)

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
As mentioned, check the electric windows. I've read about the cables deteriorating on older cars and needing replacing. Water in the spare wheel is another issue to check. Finally, central locking, another age related failure.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hello Jason,
I use the iCarsof CRpro. Never had issues with that. Today I would check the fault codes via SDD. But depends on the equipment you own. If I would have checked mine with SDD before, I might have detected a gateway module fault. Since it was an old (historic) fault, iCarsoft didn't show it.
As the other recommened, check the functionality of all switches. Check the door handels and their reaction to unlock twice (unlock all doors via fob). If you have a sun roof, check it for rattling noise. Check brake discs and pads. Ceck the DPF soot level.
During a test drive with warm motor and full throttle, check for any faults on the dash and noisy turbos.
Check the tires for signs of abnormal wearout on inner or outer zone (signs for incorrect wheel alignment or damaged transverse link). Take the MAP sensor out and check it's soot level.
So far my recommendations :)
Much fun with that car!

Dirk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hello Jason,
I use the iCarsof CRpro. Never had issues with that. Today I would check the fault codes via SDD. But depends on the equipment you own. If I would have checked mine with SDD before, I might have detected a gateway module fault. Since it was an old (historic) fault, iCarsoft didn't show it.
As the other recommened, check the functionality of all switches. Check the door handels and their reaction to unlock twice (unlock all doors via fob). If you have a sun roof, check it for rattling noise. Check brake discs and pads. Ceck the DPF soot level.
During a test drive with warm motor and full throttle, check for any faults on the dash and noisy turbos.
Check the tires for signs of abnormal wearout on inner or outer zone (signs for incorrect wheel alignment or damaged transverse link). Take the MAP sensor out and check it's soot level.
So far my recommendations :)
Much fun with that car!

Dirk
Thanks Dirk for the reply, some of that is a little beyond my ability I think. Its from a dealer so will have warranty or any issues, so i guess I could also do a more thorough check once I have the car if the things I can look at are all OK

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm impressed with the dealer thus far; I'm off to see the car saturday, the dealer has just messaged me to say that during the PDI they found a split rear control arm boot which needs changing and as it comes as a whole that's £400, also said they are doing a leak test on the AC. Nice and refreshing for the dealer to be so up front

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Couple of questions for you fine people; the seller has advertised the car as having automatic bi-xenon headlights, Bluetooth audio streaming and iPod and usb connectivity. The build sheet posted earlier seems to me to suggest it's got halogen headlights, it's without the iPod and usb connectivity (LESS before an item means it's not included on the car I'm told) and reading this fine forum suggests that Bluetooth audio streaming isn't possible for any cars pre-2012. Am I correct?

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,042 Posts
The build sheets often have errors, so only a physical check will really confirm the fitted equipment. Being an S, I'd doubt it has halogen, more likely will be HID for dipped and halogen for mains. If so, swap the halogen bulbs for LED, it'll make a massive difference. However, the build sheet does state Halogen and manual headlamp levelling. The car isn't capable, classic nor facelift, of Bluetooth music streaming. Assuming it has an iPod 30 pin interface in the centre console, a Bovie (or similar) adapter can be plugged in to give this functionality. This way, you'll have a simultaneous Bluetooth connection to the car for phone calls and another to the Bovie, to use just select the iPod input and you'll even have (basic) control via the steering wheel buttons and a track display on the infotainment screen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The build sheets often have errors, so only a physical check will really confirm the fitted equipment. Being an S, I'd doubt it has halogen, more likely will be HID for dipped and halogen for mains. If so, swap the halogen bulbs for LED, it'll make a massive difference. However, the build sheet does state Halogen and manual headlamp levelling. The car isn't capable, classic nor facelift, of Bluetooth music streaming. Assuming it has an iPod 30 pin interface in the centre console, a Bovie (or similar) adapter can be plugged in to give this functionality. This way, you'll have a simultaneous Bluetooth connection to the car for phone calls and another to the Bovie, to use just select the iPod input and you'll even have (basic) control via the steering wheel buttons and a track display on the infotainment screen.
Thank you. I've asked the seller to confirm/clarify. I don't think any of this is a deal breaker to be honest if the car is otherwise as it should be

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
If it's a pre-facelift "S" then almost certainly the main beam will be xenon with halgen lamps in the separate high beam. I swapped these for LEDs in my 2010 XF-S.
Photo taken mid-change. Halogen on the left, LED on the right. (Inboard lamps).
Car Vehicle Hood Grille Automotive tire

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi all,
regarding the DPF, am i right in saying that as long as I take it for a swift ride every so often I shouldn't have any issues? my commute is town driving 5 miles each way, but if i take it down the motorway every other weekend or the like it should be OK? is there a way top force a regen maybe once a week, to prevent problems?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think the recommendation is you drive for a minimum of 20 minutes at motorway speeds to get the car up to temperature to initiate a regeneration. I ensure I do this once a week, although often do more, and have never had a problem (he say's finding the nearest wood to touch!)

21 - 40 of 50 Posts