Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,

I was the proud owner of an XF in 2018, circumstances forced the sale of it but I'm coming back! Going to see a 2011 3.0d s next Saturday, and can't wait! It's done 85k miles and had it's belts changed @76k miles. Full service history. I want to ensure I check key things and don't waste my very hard earned and long time saved cash, what should I be looking for? Some pics attached :)
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
146 Posts
Welcome back - hopefully!

It sounds like you have the most important things covered, cam belt, full service history etc. Other than that, just check that everything works as it should and check the obvious things like MOT, tyres & brakes. It might also be worth having the codes read in case there are any historic codes that point to potential problems. I recently discovered my cooling fan wasn't coming on and looking at the paperwork that I got with the car I spotted there was a fault code for the cooling fan that I had missed, suggesting it wasn't working when I bought the car. Now fixed.

A full history search on something like carVertical – VIN Decoder & Car History Report might be worth the few quid. Good luck and look forward to hearing how you get on and some pictures etc if you get the car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome back - hopefully!

It sounds like you have the most important things covered, cam belt, full service history etc. Other than that, just check that everything works as it should and check the obvious things like MOT, tyres & brakes. It might also be worth having the codes read in case there are any historic codes that point to potential problems. I recently discovered my cooling fan wasn't coming on and looking at the paperwork that I got with the car I spotted there was a fault code for the cooling fan that I had missed, suggesting it wasn't working when I bought the car. Now fixed.

A full history search on something like carVertical – VIN Decoder & Car History Report might be worth the few quid. Good luck and look forward to hearing how you get on and some pictures etc if you get the car.
Thanks pal. Yes did a car vertical and all is good. Good shout ref. codes, is there a specific reader that's rated for the mark 1 XF?

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,037 Posts
An iCarsoft LR v2 (or 3) I think will be a better purchase if you go to buy your own as it has more capability than the i930. The v3 is out but a v2 is fine for the XF X250.

Reactions: bluejmc2005

·
Registered
10,782 Posts

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Good point Pete, I used my own iCarsoft LR V2 on that (John's) car and it worked fine, didn't cause any issues, so maybe avoid the V3.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
I think the one over on jaguarforum was a V2, I'll go see if I can find it again.. Hold on...

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
But any scanner can possibly cause issues, if incorrect process is used to read codes and don't exit cleanly, possibly corrupting a/the modules. I know having spoken to John, that he didn't exit cleanly before disconnecting his V3.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
But any scanner can possibly cause issues, if incorrect process is used to read codes and don't exit cleanly, possibly corrupting a/the modules. I know having spoken to John, that he didn't exit cleanly before disconnecting his V3.
As may be Alan, but I'll not plug my V2 into my car again, it has enough mental health issues as it is without provoking it any more...

Each to their own.. (y)

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Or maybe a Autel AP200, £60 delivered with Amazon and seems to be similar in terms of things it does
That's the route I'd take, lots of love on this and other forums for the Autel.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Thanks Pete, blame it all on me! BlueJMC - Don't know your first name - Just remember to exit out of all the menus, back to the basic main menu, on any scanner, no matter the make or the car, always the safest method. Disconnecting mid-conversation in the depths of module interrogation can, and does, end in tears.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts