Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an answer here. Something dawned on me recently. Why is there such an issue in getting goods out of Ukraine when it is bordered by 5 non-hostile countries, 1 of which has active ports to facilitate the transport of goods by sea?
Map Azure World Atlas Aqua

·
Administrator
31,384 Posts
I think it might be because bulk grain carrying ships (the normal route) have dedicated and large loading facilities and each can carry many many trains worth of grain. No such extensive loading facilites exist apparently, to load trains, so at best they are getting about 10 to 20% of normal volumes out via the Danube. And only that because Ukraine liberated Snake Island.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it might be because bulk grain carrying ships (the normal route) have dedicated and large loading facilities and each can carry many many trains worth of grain. No such extensive loading facilites exist apparently, to load trains, so at best they are getting about 10 to 20% of normal volumes out via the Danube. And only that because Ukraine liberated Snake Island.
Well, that's worth looking into. But is it only grain that's the issue? We're told that basically everything comes from the Ukraine - even air....

I know I'm being a bit flippant here but did they really put all their eggs in one basket with the shipment of grain? Are we supposed to believe that Poland doesn't buy any grain and if they did, it'd have to come by sea?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I'm digging into the info. What I'm finding is (and including the above story from Politico) is a lot of BS. Seems their main grain (maize) customer is China. Next is the Netherlands, Spain and Turkey. Hardly the 'poorest, fragile countries and vulnerable populations'.....
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Line Slope

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do you think will happen if China can't buy $3bn of maize from Ukraine?
Is that the UK's problem? I know it's not 'good', but how is this affecting our grain prices and supermarket prices?

Also, as the article said, a large shipment left before the war started, so there's some buffer for China.

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,354 Posts
About half the world's production of sunflower oil comes from Russia and Ukraine. It's not surprising that the supermarket prices have risen as a consequence of the supply problems.
yep
wheat, barley are another two of Ukraine's major exports.
let's imagine just what staple foodstuff ( let alone alcohol based beverages) are made from wheat and or barley.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So back to my first point. They have established routes of supply to countries via land based transport. I'm not sure I get why that couldn't be ramped up at least to soften the blow. Maybe it has. Seems I need to do more digging.

·
Administrator
29,710 Posts
The transport problem is being resolved although there's still a long way to go to replace sea routes with land routes. The bigger problem is the declining harvest & reduced planting which is what is really driving the futures prices upwards. The issue for the first world is merely price - for third world countries it's famine.

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,354 Posts
The transport problem is being resolved although there's still a long way to go to replace sea routes with land routes. The bigger problem is the declining harvest & reduced planting which is what is really driving the futures prices upwards. The issue for the first world is merely price - for third world countries it's famine.
possibly.
however, if such nations would look to feed their own, as opposed to producing cash crops...then all may be well.

·
Administrator
29,710 Posts
possibly.
however, if such nations would look to feed their own, as opposed to producing cash crops...then all may be well.
Often the temptation to export at elevated prices becomes too hard to resist especially as the local economy can't afford these prices.

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,354 Posts
Often the temptation to export at elevated prices becomes too hard to resist especially as the local economy can't afford these prices.
true...but self sustainability must take precedence.

·
Administrator
29,710 Posts
true...but self sustainability must take precedence.
You mean over profits & taxation? That's going to be pretty hard to achieve when corruption is endemic.

Reactions: JaguarDriver
1 - 19 of 19 Posts