Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
976 Posts
Don’t see how you can get the bonnet down now you have fitted all that stuff in there, but job well done.

If only…..lol.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Looking forward to this, pic by pic, blow by blow? Be interesting reading Al.

Reactions: The vast minority

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don’t see how you can get the bonnet down now you have fitted all that stuff in there, but job well done.

If only…..lol.

Aye, it’s a fair old stack of bits, big box full, am I allowed to mention a source here? I had excellent service from a jag spares supplier.
After all this is all done, it’s 2 new tyres and then AC service. might get to drive it a bit before they salt the roads with a bit of luck. I’ll take it off the road over winter (probably)
I’ll get started on the work this Saturday realistically.

Al

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Mention any source you wish, good or bad. If bad just the facts so there's nothing libellous.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
What's the Meyle part?

But good luck! I just fitted Meyle HD arms which felt very good quality but it took me almost ten hours :oops: (old bits below).

Wood Font Bumper Bicycle part Metal

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
How did you snap a front lower arm? 😱

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking forward to this, pic by pic, blow by blow? Be interesting reading Al.

Thanks, I’ll be sure to do just that. It shall form a good history for the car as well as provide entertainment and hopefully be useful to others at some point.
Al

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I will do a complete walkthrough of this whole process from disconnecting battery to driving away at the end…. I’m taking a photo of every step…

Here is a quick taster, had a quick spanner session afrer breakfast.

I was right to do this, the serpentine is dated 2008 so it’s a dead cert that all the other belts are also of this age…

had a sneaky look at the cam belt too through the round window.
Stand by for a full report…

Al

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Grille
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Wonder what, if any, differences there are to changing the cam belt on a 2.7 vs 3.0? I notice the 2.7 has what appears to be a red-handled oil dipstick?

·
Administrator
29,868 Posts
Al - if you do the documentation thing on this thread, then I will clean it up and put it into the "how to" section, if that's OK with you?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Take a look,

Mouse activity or just degradation of the foam……the foam is falling apart anyway with age and the difficult under bonnet service conditions but it does look like there has been something at work. No apparent damage to the wiring or anything else Thankfully…..

See the PO-PO fittings, the ball and socket engine cover mountings. I worked in sales for the company that invented them and sells them to Jaguar and every other car manufacturer around the world. I’ve been lucky enough to visit nearly every production line in the UK doing that job, including Castle Bromwich.

PO-PO for ref means Push On-Pull Off.

Al

Shoe Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Hi, my foam disintergrated as well a couple of years ago, I replaced it with some self adhesive heat resistant foam sheet. Phil

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HI Wilf
sounds like a plan, I’ll start at the beginning and list all photos with an explanation in order, as a separate post in the thread. It will make it easier and you won’t have to work out the order they go in.

cheers
Al

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, not sure, I expect the differences will be minor. Once I’ve done this job, I’ll take a look at the 3.0 v6 and see if there’s much between them.
Will be interesting to generate a list of deviance for the 2 engines.
Al

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
From this point, all pics will be in chronological order to make it easy for Wilf to compile a how-to in the future.
At the time of writing, I've had 2 x very relaxed sessions and am well into it with only the bottom cambelt cover to remove before I get to the exciting stuff. I have so far photographed pretty much everything and I will add to this over the course of the job.

What follows is how I did the full 3-belt service of my 2009 2.7 V6 XF. I don't know these engines, I've never had one so am learning as I go.
Ill post a pic of each step with an explanation of what's going on. I will be following the procedure in the manual so the order of steps will be similar to those in the manual but not always in exactly the same order.

The manual: I am using the factory manual for reference and ill include the info on the relevant page numbers where it is appropriate and helpful. Finding these pages in nearly 3500 pages of the manual is a job in itself. I expect that the dealers can click hyperlinks in the file to take them to the relevant section, but the home mechanic has to search the sections manually. Ill list the tools I used in relevant pics and give any tips on how I overcame any problems or workarounds that come up as I work on this 12 year old XF. There will be car-cuts and swearing but ill not include the swearing here...you must insert your own expletives if you decide to do this yourself. I expect rusty underbody fasteners, factory manual instructions that randomly make no sense and a few beers to be quaffed along the way.

Where possible I will not use special tools and will offer an alternative, this guide is for entertainment and will hopefully help other owners in the future to take that big step to do these vitally important jobs themselves and to a higher standard than many (most) garages would manage.

Have a look as I go, ask any questions and hopefully this can build into a resource that will be of use for others as these lovely old cars come of age.

Finally, this isn't a job for the faint hearted, get this wrong and you will potentially wreck your engine so be sure that you possess quality tools and the ability, before you begin.

The difficulty of this undertaking will range from being as simple as putting a hat on your head for some, to beyond the skills of others.
If in doubt, don't try this at home! :)

Al

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Step 1a, Put the car on ramps and apply the parking brake...............
This was also problem number 1.
As I put the car on the ramps I was presented with the message "cannot apply parking brake" not the best start and what a time to choose! ......:rolleyes: I assumed this would be a battery voltage issue from limited use and an old battery so I reversed and took a 14 mile A road blast.

Back on the ramps and all was well with the parking brake.
Step 1b Put the car on the ramps a second time and apply the parking brake.;)

Best not to do this in the dark, I didn't, but I did forget to photograph this first step at the time. This will be the only night time shot, ill probably edit it for a better one very soon.

Why ramps? the book says the undertrays have to come off and with the car being low anyway, I like to raise them and use steps so I have the choice of being higher and lower than I would be at ground level. You would be surprised how useful this can be!

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Grille

1 - 20 of 35 Posts