Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
30,909 Posts
Hi Ron

Not really the right forum for questions on XK140s, I am afraid. Nice car tho'.

The answer to your question is "very tight". As in hammered on. Then safety wired for luck.

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I used 4 hits with a heavy hide hammer. Old bloke next to me said to hit it some more until it won't move. All very technical. I was helping him change the wheel at a car show, many years ago. Actually wasn't on a Jaguar wire wheel but an MG. Would that make a difference to the number of hits?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm; seems like four hits with the hide hammer isn't much. I used the copper side and whacked away until the cap wouldn't go much more. The copper face looks pretty beat up.. Maybe I'm overdoing it.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I doubt you could strip the threads on the hub or spinner lumping it with a 3lb copper or lead hammer. This question must have been asked a million times over the years, since eared hub spinners were invented! And now I remember, I used the copper side, not the hide end. And followed the owners advice and lumped it until it wouldn't move any more.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
… then hit it once more! 😃

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
After, I climbed on to my mate's Aveling and Porter 25 ton (I think) steam roller and we chuffed off to the pub. Not joking! I steered while he fed the boiler and opened/closed the regulator. Left it outside, ticking over. He had 4 pints that evening then we chuffed back to the showground where he had the worker's trailer he'd towed there with it. Technically, who was driving, and is there a law drunk in charge of a steam vehicle? I did say this was years ago.

·
Registered
10,100 Posts
The face of the copper hammer is sacrificial to prevent the spinner from getting badly damaged so I’d expect it to look a bit beaten up.

Softer metals and all that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts