Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2014 R-Sport XF
20 Posts
Hello all

how is the audio quality on this? So compared to plugging in the cable via USB and playing using the normal iPod mode?

also if you using DAB, have the CarPlay on screen, have the phone paired to Bluetooth, does the phone answer correctly vis the Bluetooth?
Just trying to find the limitations. Also someone said on another site that they had an issue when trying to plug back in the sat nav..

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
I thought the point was to pair the phone with CarPlay and not use the inbuilt bluetooth connection, therefore all of the calling functions are handled by CarPlay?

·
Registered
2014 R-Sport XF
20 Posts
Yes I see, but if your audio is DAB, then CarPlay doesn’t sound right? Therefore can’t use the phone if someone calls? Unless I switch to Aux input? Just wondering how keeping the native Bluetooth would help that? Also what is the sound quality like with this?

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
Yes I see, but if your audio is DAB, then CarPlay doesn’t sound right? Therefore can’t use the phone if someone calls? Unless I switch to Aux input? Just wondering how keeping the native Bluetooth would help that? Also what is the sound quality like with this?
I think someone managed to pair the new CarPlay unit to the built in unit with Bluetooth. So that when a call came in it would still work. Could be misremembering though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is another thread on this unit: X250 Android unit

Mine is the Joyeauto unit. I use with Android but with that or CarPlay the Jaguar integration is the same. I personally keep the Jaguar Bluetooth for phone paired. This means I can answer the phone whatever audio source is playing, using the steering wheel button or touchscreen to answer, and the much better factory mic is used for voice. There is a limitation for Wireless AA in that the phone trying two Bluetooth connections at once at startup might need extra screen scrolling and presses to launch AA.

Sound quality is fairly good. It is not exceptional and I should still tweak the EQ settings further. I'm currently using the Bluetooth suggestion on that other thread, where the Joyeauto unit is plugged into a third party Bluetooth transmitter paired to the Jaguar Bluetooth for audio in. This still works in conjunction with a phone connected to the Jaguar Bluetooth for hands free. The sound through that method seems marginally better than just aux-in Though MY15 maybe has an improved aux-in over earlier models and doesn't suffer hiss.

Before this, I did have an Ipod touch connected for music. I should try to charge it up again to compare again, with some like-for-like like content, but I don't recall the iPod being exceptional either.

My default station tended to be Absolute, but recently the 112k MP2 stereo DAB service was pulled, then last month the FM service in London was also pulled. This leaves me with the 80k mono DAB only. Through AA, I can now listen in stereo again. I'm not sure what the app bitrate actually is - possibly up to 128k AAC. The overall quality is better than DAB. Though coverage is not - within London/Surrey DAB is always there, FM would only drop for parts of the North Downs, but relying on the phone for data signal does leave numerous places with drop outs. This is more an AA/CarPlay general issue, rather than this specific implementation.

Similarly, I believe it is the usual method of AA/CarPlay to have only the AA/CarPlay sound, or only FM/DAB, but no overlaying of the two, so not down to this specific unit. I rarely use spoken navigation directions but do usually have alerts on. So if I do want to keep FM or DB, but have Waze on the screen, I can do and just have to skip notification sounds (and the phone still works fine for calls).

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
i have removed it and now i have a tesla screen in there

Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel Steering part Center console

21 - 31 of 31 Posts