Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
The link to that hole cutter you posted specifically says, "Ideal for stainless and mild steel sheet and tubes with wall thickness of up to 3mm". It's a tank cutter. I think what you're going to need for that locking nut is something more serious.

Take out the pilot drill.
OMG! I used the same link the other guys sent over here
Would you recommend the right one to buy please!

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
OMG! I used the same link the other guys sent over here
Would you recommend the right one to buy please!
Recommend? No. Suggest? Yes.
The OP of this thread was referring to the paper mache, Jaguar wheel nuts (I exaggerate for effect) for which that Starrett tank cutter may well be suitable. It looks like you're trying to cut through a locking nut which is more solid than the standard nuts. You are clearly struggling with the Starrett cutter so were it me, I'd be upgrading to a tungsten carbide tipped cutter such as the one I found and posted the link to.
If you do use it, bear in mind a) it's a lot thicker and may not fit inside the stud/nut recess of the wheel and b) it should eat its way into that nut quite quickly and you should be aware of how deep you're cutting.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Are you trying to drill (cut) the locking nut off as you've lost the key, rather than the locking nut has broken? You'll struggle to cut through it that way, it's toughened steel. Well, tough compared to the cheese steel the regular nuts are made of.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are you trying to drill (cut) the locking nut off as you've lost the key, rather than the locking nut has broken? You'll struggle to cut through it that way, it's toughened steel. Well, tough compared to the cheese steel the regular nuts are made of.
Yes, I am trying to cut the cap to reach to the lug as the key is lost
Should purchase hole cutter fore heavy duty?

·
Registered
284 Posts
The key number should be in your "service record" book, if not the dealers can probably look it up. I imagine it's quicker and safer ( for your alloys ) to just buy a replacement key.
If you're going to persist with trying to cut through the hardened locking nut, you should probably get some cutting oil.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The key number should be in your "service record" book, if not the dealers can probably look it up. I imagine it's quicker and safer ( for your alloys ) to just buy a replacement key.
I rang Jaguar dealer asking for replacement, they said they stopped it since 2016! But they are doing replacement for the range rover -_-

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I rang Jaguar dealer asking for replacement, they said they stopped it since 2016! But they are doing replacement for the range rover -_-
But they'll have a workshop set as customers will bring their cars without the locking nut key. Just need to convince them to remove your lockers. I wouldn't be trying to cut through them, you're gonna end in a right mess where you've made a complete mess of one and the key won't fit it either. That'll then entail welding a bolt to the nut with consequent likely damage to the alloy wheel. The top section of the locking nut also turns separately to the lower section. Your's may not yet be turning, but continue to try to cut it as you are and it will, resulting in a partly destroyed spinning locking nut.

Reactions: xf_phil

·
Registered
284 Posts
The problem is I am still struggling to remove that steel cap to get access to what is underneath and see the letter 😫
If it's the standard Jaguar one there isn't a removable steel cap, the key fits over the whole nut, and engages with the grooves/lumps on the side of the nut.

The keys look like the ones on the picture on this ebay listing which is for images of the keys so you can identify the letter if it's not in your service book and the dealer doesn't have a record that they can tell you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it's the standard Jaguar one there isn't a removable steel cap, the key fits over the whole nut, and engages with the grooves/lumps on the side of the nut.

The keys look like the ones on the picture on this ebay listing which is for images of the keys so you can identify the letter if it's not in your service book and the dealer doesn't have a record that they can tell you.
Are you sure this isn't a cap? Can I use someone else's key who has same model and year? It may be a stupid question :censored:

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Are you sure this isn't a cap? Can I use someone else's key who has same model and year? It may be a stupid question :censored:
If it's a genuine jaguar one as supplied on an x250 there is no cap to remove, you'd need to post of photo of it with better lighting (down the recess in the wheel) to be sure but it certainly looks like one.

There are 20 different keys so I suppose there is around a 1 in 20 chance that a random other x250 will have the same locking key.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
This is the locking nut as removed (OK, 2 of them) with the corresponding keys. You can see the join line between the rusty bit and the upper section, midway up the castellations. The upper section will rotate around that line, part of the security to prevent them being undone without the correct key. The upper dome is not a cap or cover, it is part of the nut, I believe it is some form of strengthened steel.

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Rim Automotive wheel system

Reactions: W.Dabbas

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is the locking nut as removed (OK, 2 of them) with the corresponding keys. You can see the join line between the rusty bit and the upper section, midway up the castellations. The upper section will rotate around that line, part of the security to prevent them being undone without the correct key. The upper dome is not a cap or cover, it is part of the nut, I believe it is some form of strengthened steel.

View attachment 188856
Here is how mine looks like. I agree with you this isn't a cap

Attachments

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Reactions: Gav
21 - 37 of 37 Posts