Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This guide will show you the easiest way to replace the pulley on a 5.0sc using a Powerhouse engineering pulley.
After a bit of research early last year I found out that the Eaton M45 standard supercharger pulley was about the same size as the TVS supercharger pulley on the Jaguar 5.0sc engines. With this in mind I purchased a Mini Cooper S pulley puller.
I've shared my knowledge on this with a few people and is now being used by garages offering the replacement service and also there's a YouTube video using my method.

Not a lot of tools are needed which makes this an easy job.
Puller,
Blowtorch,
Glasses and gloves,
Long 3/8" drive ratchet.
6mm Allen key,
16mm spanner,
30mm spanner,
24mm spanner,
Large grips to pick up hot pulley,
10mm socket and ratchet,
Flat blade screwdriver,
Flat bar or edge,
Water to pour on pulley to cool it.

Start by removing the engine cover,
The intake pipes and throttle pipe.

Using the long 3/8" ratchet, fit it into the supercharger belt tensioner and pull the tension off the belt. Remove the belt from the supercharger pulley and sit it out of the way.

Flick the cap off the end of the supercharger pulley.
Loosely assemble the supercharher pulley puller over the pulley. When the machined bar is sat flat against the pulley nose, tighten the puller assembly up.

Using a 30mm spanner to brace the bar and a 24mm spanner or ratchet spanner on the large centre bolt, wind the bolt in.
The pulley should release with a crack and just keep winding it off.

On removal, inspect the shaft then the surround for any casting marks.
If there are any present, no matter how small, they will need to be sanded off.

Put the new pulley on a hard surface, a vice is ideal.

Glasses and gloves on and heat the pulley centre until it starts to change colour, It will start to go gold at first then a greyish colour.

Once you are at this stage your ready to fit the pulley. You have to be quick at this point from heating to the sliding on the supercharger shaft.

Using some large grips pick up the pulley and slide it onto the supercharger shaft.
Using a flat bar or edge against the nose to get it sitting perfectly in line.

Once in position, cool immediately with water and make sure the pulley stays in position.

Once cooled right down, make sure the pulley has gripped the supercharger shaft and the assembly spins. If it doesn't spin, the pulley will need to be removed as it's catching on the supercharger casting.

refit the belt and pipework.

Start the engine and make sure the belt and pulley alignment is all OK.

Get your car booked in for a remap to make full use of the extra supercharger driven speed/ boost increase.

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Matt, reading this has made me want to go out and buy a supercharged Jag just so I can follow your excellent write up to swap the pulley! Well done!!

Reactions: Sdotk and MattS

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Matt, reading this has made me want to go out and buy a supercharged Jag just so I can follow your excellent write up to swap the pulley! Well done!!
Same here! lol

Reactions: MattS

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Very nice write up Matt, thanks for taking the time and effort!

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,260 Posts
Is there a reason why the pully is an interference fit? Why not just key it?
Well done though...

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Is there a reason why the pully is an interference fit? Why not just key it?
Well done though...
Key-driven systems wear and eventually rattle.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,260 Posts
Key-driven systems wear and eventually rattle.
was thinking that but other pullys are done like that and they don't, well not for a long time?

·
Registered
835 Posts
That's a superb write up! Where did you get the puller from?

Let us know how much of a difference the pulley makes when you've had a chance to take it for a drive :D

David.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
There's a much greater chance of a plain press fit spinning on the shaft than there is a key driven system.

The only real issues with key driven systems is that you then need a form of locking device to the shaft, sometimes that can be a grub screw from the side , but that has the issue of introducing a small amount of eccentricity between the shaft and outside of the pulley which is no good at these speeds. The other option is usually a taper lock adaptor/sleeve which would probably be too big to incorporate.

That said, there's probably not huge amounts of torque required to drive it and I've never ever heard of one spinning off so it's probably a case of if it isn't broken don't fix it.

Seems an easy job, I wonder if the 4.2 is as easy to swap. Although not as good gains power wise as it runs too hot anyway.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a superb write up! Where did you get the puller from?

Let us know how much of a difference the pulley makes when you've had a chance to take it for a drive :D

David.
I've had a pulley on mine for over a year.
It made 535.9bhp on the dyno with just the pulley and Spires exhaust.

This one was fitted to my friends XFR this morning.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Mine made 513bhp on the rolling road totally stock. I'd have thought you might have seen a bit more then that with a pulley and an exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
28,976 Posts
Nice one.

I saw the other day that Swallows has released a pulley upgrade you don't need to heat up to fit. Bolt on/off.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice one.

I saw the other day that Swallows has released a pulley upgrade you don't need to heat up to fit. Bolt on/off.
Yeah, I've noticed a trend with Swallows.
I look for a product, can't find exactly what I'm looking for so settle for something else, then along come Swallows afterwards with a product I wanted 🙄

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine made 513bhp on the rolling road totally stock. I'd have thought you might have seen a bit more then that with a pulley and an exhaust.
The pulley on its own only gives about 25bhp, the difference though is when the car is mapped with the pulley. Both XFR's are getting mapped in a few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
29,668 Posts
Great write up Matt, unfortunately, the need to heat for fitting was the reason I didn't fit one to my XFR at the time, very difficult to change should there be a warranty issue, my car was new at the time

·
Super Moderator
29,668 Posts
The pulley on its own only gives about 25bhp, the difference though is when the car is mapped with the pulley. Both XFR's are getting mapped in a few weeks.
DMS reckoned that I could get close to 600bhp with the pulley and may, I had the may only, which took it to 570bhp, now that was a scary beast being rear wheel drive in anything but the dryest of conditions

·
Super Moderator
29,668 Posts
Nice one.

That's been a long time coming

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The Swallows bolt-on pulley is a tad expensive though, at £342.

I have a bolt-on reduced pulley on my Cooper S, that was dead easy to fit and less than 1/3 of the price of the Swallows pulley. That's given good service and has never spun, regularly taken to the red line. I think there's an element of Jaguar tax applied to Jag reduced pulleys.

Matt - Can a domestic oven at it's highest temperature not heat the reduced pulley hot enough, rather than a blow lamp and guessing the temperature? I do have a laser temperature sensor so wondering if there's a specific temperature the pulley should be heated to? I'm just a bit worried to get it stuck not fully seated and the removal tool will be too big to pull it off.

·
19,578 Posts
Nice write up Matt. Nice and clear with good photos to match. Just what this forum is about (y)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts