Jaguar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have noticed there is a small bore "dipstick type pipe" near the front of the engine on the rhs as you look at it.

Is it possible to suck the oil up that pipe to change it?

W

·
0 Posts
I have noticed there is a small bore "dipstick type pie" near the front of the engine on the rhs as you look at it.

Is it possible to suck the oil up that pipe to change it?
sure is ive done it on mine;) 3.0l d v6

W

·
0 Posts
Thanks Jimmy, that makes a diy oil change easier, with the filter accessible from the top as well :)
yes it is Richard, its so easy to service the car yourself honestly, mine is away to day to body shop then dealers for the B service ( couple of very small corrosion spots very bottom of doors 3, then get the B service, I was going to tackle =the diesel filter myself, but it has a water sensor underneath it, that needs to be programed in if the sensor needs replacing, and as we will be setting off on a trip to cornwall soon I let the dealer do it. air filter easy to get out. the oil filter is under the plastic tray at the top of the engine, in a plastic housing, when loosened prise out the filter with a flat head screw driver:D put the new one back in, remember to use the new "seal" for it, I also b
put oil on the thread of the plastic housing to make sure it whent in easy and if I put it on the wrong thread it would come out easy. pollen filter is under passengers foot well, remove the cladding, its in a black plastic casset their, get a suction tool, I pulled out 7 L of oil from mine, spec says 6.6L that's to the min/max line, so you want it slightly above that, its better not to fill right to the top;) as it can lead to un-burned fuel mixing with the diesel

W

·
0 Posts
just remember to put in 6 L of oil for yours if you have the 3LD then once the oil filter is securely in start car up for a few secs, then switch off, then add the 0.6 of the litre let it sit for an hour then check the level, top up slightly if required, the best oil is shell AF-L for DPF diesel cars

·
Registered
285 Posts
I did the pollen filter, air filter and diesel filter myself last year, but as I do not have any off road facilities to work on it, so any work I do is in the road, and its a busy one at that! when I got under to consider the oil change, I realised that whilst the drain plug may be feasible in those conditions the plastic undertray was not. So I gave up and gave it to a garage to change the oil and filter, but they put too much in despite my strict instructions to put a measured 6.5L in, it was reading 3/4 when I picked it up, which is too high.

.....but I bought an oil suction pump in Lidl recently, armed with that a service will be a piece of cake :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just curious what about brake fluid? when is that needed to change?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just for clarification can anyone tell me, to change the oil by extracting it out of the tube, do I need to push a small bore tube all the way down inside down into the sump, or do I just connect onto the top of the tube and suck it up?

or to pit it another way, does that tube go all the way down to the low point of the sump?

W

·
0 Posts
Just for clarification can anyone tell me, to change the oil by extracting it out of the tube, do I need to push a small bore tube all the way down inside down into the sump, or do I just connect onto the top of the tube and suck it up?

or to pit it another way, does that tube go all the way down to the low point of the sump?
Richard, I had said to you to use a suction pump to extract oil from sump, that's all fair and well if the tube fits down the tiny dipstick hole. I had used mine on family members cars. the tube on my oil extractor is 3mm . when I tried it on the jag, it would not fit down :eek: it would have to be 2mm . if yours can fit down. put it all the way down to sump, then pump out

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Although I've never used the suction pump method, from all my reading the end of the tube simply fits tightly over the hole, and as long as you have a good seal the pump operates on the vacuum principle. No need at all to try to shove any tubing right down the pipe, and in any event the pipe has two or three bends in it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yep. I use the suction pump method. Most pumps come with a variety of hose fittings and one of them fits snugly over the top of the 'dipstick' tube. The tube goes all the way to the bottom of the sump so there's no need to stick anything down it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I did the pollen filter, air filter and diesel filter myself last year, but as I do not have any off road facilities to work on it, so any work I do is in the road, and its a busy one at that! when I got under to consider the oil change, I realised that whilst the drain plug may be feasible in those conditions the plastic undertray was not. So I gave up and gave it to a garage to change the oil and filter, but they put too much in despite my strict instructions to put a measured 6.5L in, it was reading 3/4 when I picked it up, which is too high.

.....but I bought an oil suction pump in Lidl recently, armed with that a service will be a piece of cake :)
I understood 3/4 was the ideal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Service done today, or most of it, oil successfully sucked up the little tube, oil filter was a bit fiddly to get in.

I put in a measured 6.5L of oil and it reads exactly half way on the level reading.

Fuel filter was the wrong one though, ordered from ebay Delphi fuel filter for 2.7 & 3.0D Jag XF but the threaded hole in the bottom for the water sensor was the wrong size, I suspect maybe it fits the 2.7D but not 3.0 D

The one I was sent was Delphi HDF947
The one on our car is Delphi HDF955

Service indicator successfully reset, when you watch the video rather than read the instructions its very straightforward

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you so much for putting this guide up. It is such a good guide I did the lot very quick... and it’s the first service I’ve done.
I bought my 6 months ago and the guys I bought it from said they had serviced it. Looking at the air filter I think that’s a huge lie. Also the oil was black as anything when it came out.

·
Registered
10,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Wow this guide still getting used 5 years later!
you‘re welcome. Does sound like normal garage porkies, but regarding oil, in diesels drive it for 50 miles an the oil will be black anyway!

·
Registered
10,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Might just do that now my car is out of warranty!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did do one slightly (see very) dopey thing. I took the front under tray off, not the centre... that was fun. Still, piece of cake and like the benefit of knowing it’s been done completely.

·
Registered
19,546 Posts
Did you know you can suck the oil out from the top? No need to get under the car. See here . .

41 - 60 of 63 Posts