Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

Registered
XFS Sportbrake 3.0D
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested to know how people drive their jags in different scenarios, I want to ensure I am driving best for the car and my enjoyment.

So I'll start:
City driving: Normal Mode

Dual Carriageway (short journey): combination of Normal Mode or Dynamic mode depending on if kids in car/ how busy road / weather conditions

Motorway driving (say 300 miles North to South): This is the one I a most unsure about with regards to the use of cruise control, eco mode, normal mode and dynamic mode
I was thinking a combination of:
1. Eco Mode with cruise control (average speed cameras)
2. Combination of Eco/ Norma/ Dynamic Mode (I had been informed by @JaguarDriver that Dynamic mode is best for the car)
Does dynamic mode use significantly more fuel than Eco or normal modes?
In all honest I'm really not sure what is best, or is the answer that a combination of modes is the best solution?

Fun: Dynamic and Sports mode

Happy driving

Registered
馃彺鬆仹鬆仮鬆伋鬆仯鬆伌鬆伩X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
I'm interested to know how people drive their jags in different scenarios, I want to ensure I am driving best for the car and my enjoyment.

So I'll start:
City driving: Normal Mode

Dual Carriageway (short journey): combination of Normal Mode or Dynamic mode depending on if kids in car/ how busy road / weather conditions

Motorway driving (say 300 miles North to South): This is the one I a most unsure about with regards to the use of cruise control, eco mode, normal mode and dynamic mode
I was thinking a combination of:
1. Eco Mode with cruise control (average speed cameras)
2. Combination of Eco/ Norma/ Dynamic Mode (I had been informed by @JaguarDriver that Dynamic mode is best for the car)
Does dynamic mode use significantly more fuel than Eco or normal modes?
In all honest I'm really not sure what is best, or is the answer that a combination of modes is the best solution?

Fun: Dynamic and Sports mode

Happy driving
All these modes do is change the throttle sensitivity, so once cruising doesn't make any difference.
e.g. if cruising @30 in eco mode urban vs dynamic makes no difference to fuel, but throttle response will be sharper so acceleration will be greater so more fuel used.
cruising @80 in any mode = same fuel used.
Eco mode just dumbs down the throttle response (like winter mode) plus turns things off like heated steering wheel/seats.
Sports mode just makes the gearbox hold onto gears longer, actually past the optimum point so best to use paddles in that mode.

Reactions: Majagua

Registered
XFS Sportbrake 3.0D
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All these modes do is change the throttle sensitivity, so once cruising doesn't make any difference.
e.g. if cruising @30 in eco mode urban vs dynamic makes no difference to fuel, but throttle response will be sharper so acceleration will be greater so more fuel used.
cruising @80 in any mode = same fuel used.
Eco mode just dumbs down the throttle response (like winter mode) plus turns things off like heated steering wheel/seats.
Sports mode just makes the gearbox hold onto gears longer, actually past the optimum point so best to use paddles in that mode.
Thanks for the explanation

Registered
I also tend to use the speed limiter in average speed zones rather than cruise control. Set it to the max speed for the zone and you know you're safe yet not fiddling with the set speed if the traffic around you slows or builds up with cruise engaged. Unless you have dynamic cruise.

Reactions: Popeye

Administrator
The 'Sport' transmission map would be ideal for a petrol VTEC Honda but doesn't work on the 3.0D. It operates the engine right up to the redline, is sluggish to change gear from there - probably because of the engine speed, and the next gear when it arrives is already off the torque plateau.

Registered
Like I stole it..... :)

Mostly N + Normal mode.
N + Dynamic if I'm feeling frisky.
S + Dynamic can be tricky at this time of year. With the Tunit nailed onto the EMS, this induces too many occurrences of the little red 'eeek' indicator on the dash....

Registered
Like I stole it..... :)

Mostly N + Normal mode.
N + Dynamic if I'm feeling frisky.
S + Dynamic can be tricky at this time of year. With the Tunit nailed onto the EMS, this induces too many occurrences of the little red 'eeek' indicator on the dash....
I find mine went forwards better in D rather than N :LOL:

Registered
Just drive it to suit your mood . . . . and to suit the conditions.

Reactions: Majagua and Popeye

Registered
I always use speed limiter in built up areas and (adaptive) cruise control on motorways.
If I am having fun I use S and the flappy paddles. If I want rapid acceleration whilst in D, say for overtaking, I pull the left paddle and press the accelerator pedal.

Super Moderator
I drive downhill mostly, no need for D :whistle:
In eco mode on my car if the engine isn鈥檛 needed above 40MPH it goes into coasting which disengages the engine. It re-engages instantly the brake or accelerator is touched.

Very similar to what EV drivers call hyper-mileing

Registered
Surprisingly, I do tend to use the ECO mode quite a lot. Just to find out how much juice I can squeeze out of it (50-55 mpg on 30 minute dual carriageways rides are pretty good). On a nice sunny day, sunroof open, dynamic mode for a bit of fun...not many I admit...

Registered
In the 3.0 diesel XFS I usually drive in D + dynamic, never use S as it'll just rev to stupid numbers pointlessly. No idea why Jaguar didn't map that properly. Occasionally use the paddles to drop a gear or 2 while descending a hill, other than that, hardly ever use the paddles. Now when in the XKR, 5.0 V8 supercharged petrol, different driving technique totally. Often in D + dynamic, but also S and paddles so fully manual mode. And bye bye any thoughts of driving economically.

Super Moderator
Surprisingly, I do tend to use the ECO mode quite a lot. Just to find out how much juice I can squeeze out of it (50-55 mpg on 30 minute dual carriageways rides are pretty good). On a nice sunny day, sunroof open, dynamic mode for a bit of fun...not many I admit...
I use it all the time but in a custom set up. Not sure if you can do this in a jag but on my XC60 I have the engine in eco, suspension in dynamic as it lowers he car making it better in corners, steering in firm and braking in dynamic also the air condition in normal. Having air on in eco leaves the car prone to misting up.

Registered
Having air on in eco leaves the car prone to misting up.
That happens a few times on my XF (eco mode - misty windows).

With all the gadgets and driving in and around London, you cant help but feel you can get more mpg to beat fellow ECO competitors. I don't have the dynamic suspension which is a shame....

I cant wait for Spring/Summer, love the sunroof down and just fun driving...without cops..

Registered
You need to get an F-Type in your life. That鈥榣l get you fixed. 馃榿

Registered
What's Eco? 馃榿馃榿

• Haha
Reactions: Shrek and SuperDoop
1 - 20 of 57 Posts