Jaguar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
The water companies lose millions of gallons each year from leaks - but still make good profits.
I heard a spokesman for them say they hoped to reduce leaks by 50% by the year 2050.
IMO that is completely unacceptable...a case for government intervention.
Totally agree. Problem is governments don't seem to be that good at intervening. Here in the NW the local water company can't fix the leaks but spends, I believe, upwards of £10 million on TV advertising. Even the vans now have those all over advertising wraps and I've seen one with digital advertising screens fitted. Why? We can't buy our water from anybody else so what's the point?

Same with everything though innit, all about as much profit they can make as possible. You would think a bad year is when a company makes a loss but no, it's considered a bad year if profits are down, or not as good as last year.

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
Here in the West Midlands there has rarely been a hose-pipe for reasons I described in post #11. Nevertheless, I couldn't in all conscience use one to wash my car at the moment, seeing how bad things are in other parts of the country. So a couple of evenings ago I substituted the hose pipe with a watering can, even down to the final DI rinse. No big effort really but I did sleep that night. :D

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
Why haven't a succession of UK governments instigated the project to divert water from the north to the south via a pipeline or canal? It's been talked about for decades.
They're doing it in China and theirs will be 500km long when finished!

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Why haven't a succession of UK governments instigated the project to divert water from the north to the south via a pipeline or canal? It's been talked about for decades.
They're doing it in China and theirs will be 500km long when finished!
Probably because it's rarely going to be needed for the costs incurred.

And China is a bit bigger than the UK 🤣

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
Probably because it's rarely going to be needed for the costs incurred.

And China is a bit bigger than the UK 🤣
But what cost the current drought in the south?
There is sufficient rainfall in the British Isles for all our needs, just not available for us all, at times. A ferking big pipe could solve that.

I mentioned China because if it needs doing they do it. And it's going to solve a problem for them.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Super Moderator
32,610 Posts
Same goes for power. We need more and bigger interconnections to make the most of Scottish wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Popeye and OBC John

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,037 Posts
I substituted the hose pipe with a watering can, even down to the final DI rinse. No big effort really
The foam cannon still worked on the end of the watering can?

• Haha
Reactions: Coolcity and Popeye

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
There is sufficient rainfall in the British Isles for all our needs, just not available for us all, at times. A ferking big pipe could solve that.

I mentioned China because if it needs doing they do it. And it's going to solve a problem for them.
What about the drought in the north? Yorkshire water is also going with a hosepipe ban as stocks are low. How is the north supposed to supply the south if that's also low?

I'd disagree that there's sufficient rainfall, it's been dry everywhere including Scotland.

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
What about the drought in the north? Yorkshire water is also going with a hosepipe ban as stocks are low. How is the north supposed to supply the south if that's also low?

I'd disagree that there's sufficient rainfall, it's been dry everywhere including Scotland.
I think you'll find there's a lot of "north" left after Yorkshire.
There's dry and there's drought. And it's not my idea. This has been mooted for decades.

·
Administrator
31,384 Posts
I suspect the water companies are the worst hit utility in terms of relying on a Victorian infrastructure, both for supply and sewage. Inherited when they were privatised (so the state could escape the massive costs of updating the entire network).

·
Super Moderator
32,610 Posts
I suspect the water companies are the worst hit utility in terms of relying on a Victorian infrastructure, both for supply and sewage. Inherited when they were privatised (so the state could escape the massive costs of updating the entire network).
No one forced them to take it on. :)

·
Administrator
31,384 Posts
No one forced them to take it on. :)

Oh - II wasn't sympathising, merely stating the fact that we STILL rely on that Victorian infrastructure to a great degree. A great deal more investment is needed.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts

I reckon it's the one huge advantage China has over many of the Western countries, they know they will be in power for a long time so they can start long-term projects and play the long game, even if unpopular. I don't get that impression here, it feels more like a short-term popularity contest, like a game show. Maybe that's why nobody really wants to fix the NHS - however that may be done.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Before he got ambitions to become party leader, Boris Johnson wrote an article in The Telegraph, I think.
In it, he said that if we left the EU we would be forced to face the fact that our troubles weren't caused by the EU but by this country's short term thinking.

Reactions: Coolcity

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I think you'll find there's a lot of "north" left after Yorkshire.
There's dry and there's drought. And it's not my idea. This has been mooted for decades.
I know that, that's why I mentioned Scotland in my previous post.

Every search I do seems to indicate Scotland is also low on water as well as everywhere else. Can you show me something that says where this other plentiful resource of water is that can be piped down south?

Perhaps in previous years that's been the case, but this year it probably wouldn't have helped.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
An interesting graphic....

If Garden and car is such a low usage, then why do we even bother having hosepipe bans? Surely the water companies should be doing more to encourage better usage around the house such as turning taps off while you're brushing your teeth and the old saying "If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down".

Anyway, I'm going to be doing about 1k miles in the next week or so, so the car is getting a snow foam wash in the morning. I was going to do it this aft, but just too darn hot.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts