Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
31,211 Posts
Apparently it's a criminal offense to use a hosepipe to convey water to wash a private car, water a domestic garden etc once the local water supply company has imposed a temporary ban. The law does not (that I can see) state where the conveyed water can be from, just that the use of a hose is banned. The law is section 36 of the Flood and Water Management Act 2010 (FWMA 2010), which replaced section 76 of the Water Industry Act 1991 (WIA 1991). Not that I've read either in any detail.
They can stick their criminal offence where the sun doesn't shine if I am using rainwater from my butt...............which until it rains I won't, lol.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah nosey neighbours are always the issue.

I have a transfer pump.

View attachment 193721
Well that definitely beats the bucket I leave outside, although we only use it to catch rainwater for the garden.

I suppose the only viable alternative would be to use those waterless wash sprays. I have a big 5L container of Williams Racing branded stuff that somebody gave me, I'm not sure who actually makes it but I'm not a fan of the stuff. I've always thought that it's just going to spread any grit around with the cloth and damage the paintwork.

I do spray a bit on a cloth occasionally when it rains overnight just to get the water marks off (we have a lot of mini overnight showers here on the coast), but only if I've cleaned the car the day before, but I wouldn't use it on a dirty car. If there's a hosepipe ban it's not usually for very long anyway.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
Waterless wash is the work of the devil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
And I believed the Germans were the most crazy people regarding their cars :) . It is really interesting to see, that especially the Jaguar owners in the UK will beat that. In Germany it is forbidden to wash cars at home. You are only allowed to use clear water. Which is - in most cases -useless. We have to drive to public hand wash centers or to normal car wash centers. That's what many Germans do on Saturday :) .
Shame on me, I wash my Jaguar if it is really dirty. Most likely every 6 weeks :eek:.

Dirk

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I didn't know it was actually illegal to wash your car in Germany! Apparently it is, unless you have a soap/oil trap in the wastewater collection. Or you use plain water only, no detergents. Wow.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Registered
237 Posts
You are right :)
<<unless you have a soap/oil trap in the wastewater collection >>
But this piece of equipment is very expensive and has to meet several ecological and chemical specifications. Its output is clear water which will do no harm to any animals or insects.

Dirk

·
Registered
237 Posts
I didn't know it was actually illegal to wash your car in Germany! Apparently it is, unless you have a soap/oil trap in the wastewater collection. Or you use plain water only, no detergents. Wow.
Seems to be an odd law. I wonder what the reasoning is behind that?

On the other side of Poland, in Belarus it's said to be illegal to drive a dirty car! Although when you scrutinise the rule properly, what they're really saying is you can't have a dirty number plate or windscreen, so pretty much the same as here then. As I understand it, only a dirty number plate is punishable with a fine of around £25. But many people interpret the rule as meaning all of the car as it says "a vehicle covered with dirt".

"Rule 10.3 - Driver is prohibited to participate in road traffic on a vehicle covered with dirt (laminations), limiting the driver's field of vision and also making indiscernible the information on the registration plate at a distance of 40 meters and less

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
My pressure washer has a ‘pigtail’ that links it to the tap.

It uses much less water when washing the car than just the hose.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wasn't convinced by tales of pressure washers using less water, so I tested it by timing how long it took to fill a bucket just with the hose, and with the pressure washer I just bought (nothing fancy, a Hyundai 1700w for £70 but cheaper than the equivalent Karcher and comes with a snow foam bottle attachment, lance and separate high pressure nozzle). It took almost twice as long to fill the bucket with the pressure washer.

There again I can't convince my wife that the dishwasher uses far less water than washing up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Seems to be an odd law. I wonder what the reasoning is behind that?
I was a bit intrigued too. Seems the "Greenies" passed the law so the underground groundwater cannot become contaminated, many people use groundwater extraction or wells in Germany for their water supply, the article said. No idea they do/did.

Reactions: Coolcity

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
My pressure washer has a ‘pigtail’ that links it to the tap.

It uses much less water when washing the car than just the hose.

Mine can take water from a bucket, but the hosepipe ban also covers use of pressure washers.

Will have to go back to the one-bucket method of my youth.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Mine can take water from a bucket, but the hosepipe ban also covers use of pressure washers.

Will have to go back to the one-bucket method of my youth.
Leave the gritty bucket in the garage this time….

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The water companies lose millions of gallons each year from leaks - but still make good profits.
I heard a spokesman for them say they hoped to reduce leaks by 50% by the year 2050.
IMO that is completely unacceptable...a case for government intervention.

Reactions: Coolcity

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was a bit intrigued too. Seems the "Greenies" passed the law so the underground groundwater cannot become contaminated, many people use groundwater extraction or wells in Germany for their water supply, the article said. No idea they do/did.
That's the reason :) . This law is just to protect the environment, the groundwater and the rivers. There are 2 different waste water systems. One goes to the sewage treatment plant and one goes directly to to the next river and groundwater. All waste water from inside the buildings is directed to the sewage treatment plant. All water (including rain) outside the buildings is directed to the river or will directly seep to the ground. Including the water from your car wash. If you want to wash your car on your private ground, you have to build a complete sealed ground floor for that. You need to collect all waste water from this sealed floor and clean it by your private sewage treatment system. It has to by certified. Or your need to connect this sealed floor to the waste water system for the sewage treatment plant. This has to be approved by your local building authority. And normally they will only approve it, if you install a private treatment system :) . A oil trap is not sufficient. If they would approve it, you will have to pay for rain on this floor, too :) . Or you build a small hall on this sealed floor. Then you will have to pay a tax because you sealed a floor that was meant to be for the seeping of the rain. German law at it's best :) .
The car wash center will recycle their waste water up to over 90%. So they will use much less water for each car. 200L is calculated for a normal car. Waste water 20L. 180L can be recycled and will be used for the next car.

I don't know if it is the same in the UK, but in Germany the water from the water tap is used as normal drinking water and has the same quality as the bottled non sparkling water.

Dirk

·
Registered
23,876 Posts
I don't know if it is the same in the UK, but in Germany the water from the water tap is used as normal drinking water and has the same quality as the bottled non sparkling water.
Yes, all mains tap water in the UK is described as potable (drinkable).

21 - 40 of 41 Posts