Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your tactic if any?

We don't have any ban here yet in Yorkshire, but it's lookin increasingly likely for a lot of people that hosepipe bans will come in.

My view is that I'll simply just not wash the car. I know some won't be able to cope with that though.

I can't thing of an easy way to do it without essentially chucking buckets of water over the car.

Annoying as I've just invested in a snow foam attachment.

Another option I have is taking it to work as we have about 280³M of borehole water in storage at any one time. It's full of scale but it'll wash and rinse, and it's hooked up to a industrial karcher too.

I refuse to use hand car washes or garage pressure washers as they often aren't long enough and you end up batting the hose all over your car.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
I've got 2000L of water stored ready for car washing.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
Is it from mains sources as presumably that would still come under the hosepipe bans too?
It's stored water. So I can use it as I wish.

It doesn't matter where I got it. Even though it's from the roof of my garage.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's stored water. So I can use it as I wish.

It doesn't matter where I got it. Even though it's from the roof of my garage.
Well surely it does if it's mains water just stored in something. I can just fill an IBC in my garage from a tap and the use that to wash my car if that was the case 🤣

Great stuff though if it's just rainwater stored up.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
Well surely it does if it's mains water just stored in something. I can just fill an IBC in my garage from a tap and the use that to wash my car if that was the case 🤣

Great stuff though if it's just rainwater stored up.
If I stored it up before the ban then it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I stored it up before the ban then it doesn't matter.
That is true.

It would be a bloody pain though as you can bet you'd have a neighbour poking thier nose in.

Do you have a transfer pump or will a pressure washer boost it enough from gravity feed?

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
That is true.

It would be a bloody pain though as you can bet you'd have a neighbour poking thier nose in.

Do you have a transfer pump or will a pressure washer boost it enough from gravity feed?
Yeah nosey neighbours are always the issue.

I have a transfer pump.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow Garden hose Electrical wiring

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
Super. Do you have it for toilet flushing ect too?
It's at the bottom of the garden. I'd love to hook it up for toilets but it would require a complete rework of how it's connected.

·
Registered
23,875 Posts
It doesn't matter where the water came from, if there's a hose-pipe ban . . . . . you can't use a hose pipe.

No ban round here and I WILL be washing the car in the morning. Our water is supplied by South Staffs Water and although they do sometimes apply such a ban it's only because the rest of the country has. The South Staffordshire springs have never been known to dry up. :p

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
I can use buckets though.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
It doesn't matter where the water came from, if there's a hose-pipe ban . . . . . you can't use a hose pipe.
Apparently it's a criminal offense to use a hosepipe to convey water to wash a private car, water a domestic garden etc once the local water supply company has imposed a temporary ban. The law does not (that I can see) state where the conveyed water can be from, just that the use of a hose is banned. The law is section 36 of the Flood and Water Management Act 2010 (FWMA 2010), which replaced section 76 of the Water Industry Act 1991 (WIA 1991). Not that I've read either in any detail.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
So you can use the mains, as long as it's through a watering can or bucket.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So you can use the mains, as long as it's through a watering can or bucket.
Presumably. Try rinsing a car with a watering can though, I think it'll be multiple trips back to the tap.

You'd think your setup would constitute to a reasonable excuse though if they gave you any sort of issues.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
My plan is to either not wash the cars or use ONR or similar as an alternative. Not a fan but if I must clean the car is the most sensible solution for me. Trick is use lots of MF cloths with plenty of solution.

My preference would be Chris's set up, very nice that with RO and DI.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
Presumably. Try rinsing a car with a watering can though, I think it'll be multiple trips back to the tap.

You'd think your setup would constitute to a reasonable excuse though if they gave you any sort of issues.
I do my final rinse with a bucket of DI water.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
We catch and store 400 gals from our roof's, which is plumbed into our secondary water system which is fully automated,via a beer pump (what else) . We use this for all of the plants and greenhouse which has at the moment 90 tomato plants. Also pressure washing etc.
Until the new pool liner arrives we have about 1000 gals of sub water in the pool which I pump out into our storage tanks when needed.
The new liner is due in about 4 weeks this will be fun as I need 20,000 gallons, don't know what to do with a hose pipe ban. 4 vacuum cleaners going 24/7 to stop wrinkles. Not looking forward to it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts