Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Ready to pull the trigger on a 2016 Premium Luxury and wondered if I could get your opinion on a couple of things, Firstly what Mileage can I expect from a tank on normal driving ie mixture and is there anything I should be wary of on a car with 65k on the clock, Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17,603 Posts
Hi JM321. Welcome to the forum and soon-to-be XJ ownership. You won't be disappointed.
As for mileage, we need to know which engine it has.

·
Registered
17,603 Posts
On a run, with a "Tunit" box plugged in, I can easily achieve mid 50s mpg. I once recorded (and have photo evidence) just over 70 mpg on a run but I was trying hard!

·
Founder member
4,993 Posts
What mileage do you do? Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but you need long journeys or you will get oil dilution !
Other than that a nice place to be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
9 miles Each way to work and perhaps a trip down to southern Europe once a year,Any way of meeting this head on?ie 5k oil change etc?

·
Founder member
4,993 Posts
I used to do 13m each way to work on back roads I.e. no queuing in traffic and the odd 70 mile each way trip and mine diluted 8% in less than 3k.
You would need a code reader to keep an eye on dilution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has there not a recall?
I used to do 13m each way to work on back roads I.e. no queuing in traffic and the odd 70 mile each way trip and mine diluted 8% in less than 3k.
You would need a code reader to keep an eye on dilution.

·
18,143 Posts
Has there not a recall?
Have a look at this fella. Not good reading - more so if you were to try and buy a Evoque, Discovery Sport or E-Pace.

Tony (G6hbq) himself has a long long thread about his XJ ownership issues.

Also this thread highlights the issues. If you want an XJ - go petrol.

Reactions: DAVENN and OBC John

·
Registered
17,603 Posts
. . . . . .

If you want an XJ - go petrol.
. . . . . . . .
I'm afraid I'd have to agree if you want an MY2016 or newer. (Mine is MY2015 so has the tried and trusted 275PS engine although I've fitted a Tunit box which boosts the power to around the 300 HP mark).
If I was looking now, I'd be hunting for a 3-litre V6 supercharged variant.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have now pulled out of the deal as I am used to Audi bulletproof reliability, shame as I have always wanted a Harry rag , thanks for your help chaps

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
It’s fair to say that there are others on this forum with the 300PS diesel X351 XJ that haven’t had any oil dilution problems.

Just to give it some balance.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Well I have now pulled out of the deal as I am used to Audi bulletproof reliability, shame as I have always wanted a Harry rag , thanks for your help chaps
Audi are defo not bullet proof, don’t kid yourself. However that engine in an XJ is best avoided.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
3 years of Audi ownership= no problems and great service , swings and roundabouts as they say
My last Audi - an A5, was a warranty queen. We just got rid of a Golf (90% Audi really) that we bought new in 2016. Shittiest car we’ve ever had the misfortune to own quality wise. Combined with the worst customer service from VW uk and the dealer, never again. Just full of denial that anything could possibly go wrong.

·
Founder member
4,993 Posts
It’s fair to say that there are others on this forum with the 300PS diesel X351 XJ that haven’t had any oil dilution problems.

Just to give it some balance.
Please show me evidence?
They are obviously oblivious to the issue.
It’s an issue that Jaguar will not admit to, blaming incompatible journeys . I was without my car for best part of 3 months total in the 2 yrs I had it with the dilution issue and still managed 20k miles.
The attitude of CRC as I said before was appalling trying to convince it was my fault,300m trip 1500m of the service Indicator.
At no point would they answer my question of what a compatible journey was!
They also won’t admit to the issues with the evoque and disco sport.

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
I’m not sure what you want from me Tony, but to date on this forum yours is the only X351 XJ diesel that has had this problem of accelerated service intervals.

No other owners on this forum of this car have mentioned this problem.

I’m not having a go at you as I have a lot of respect for you, I’m just trying to put things into context.

You are quite right that owners might be oblivious to it. But this engine is nearly 4 years old in the X351 now, and I think owners on this forum would have noticed much reduced oil service intervals - and they just haven’t.

It could be that the problems with your car were more of a one-off, than affecting all X351 with the 300PS engine, that is all.

·
Registered
17,603 Posts
He's going to have to forgive me because I can't remember his forum name. But someone here has a 2018 (I think) XJ Autobiography (gorgeous interior) with the 300PS diesel and he has stated that his car doesn't have this problem despite only doing short journeys.
Could it be that Jaguar devised a fix on the later engines?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts