Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Short story - 2013 X250 3.0l facelift sportbrake - Battery not charging on display, local garage tested battery and pronounced dead, unable to hold charge so replaced. Problem still there so garage checked alternator, slight bearing rumble so replaced, also central locking stopped working after battery disconnected (I've had this problem before but an autologic garage sorted it with a recode) ... - Problem still there - garage said needs diagnostic which they don't have. Car only drives ~40 miles before warning lights come on because battery is running low so can't drive to anywhere who has software (I live in a remote area). Keep battery topped up with Ctek 5.0 and order Mongoose cable and SDD. Got SDD working and managed to get a probable (100%) diagnosis - dual battery fuse box (part number - CX23-14K131-BC). Whilst there I reset central locking. All good.
Decided to remove dual battery fuse box to check fuses and connectors for corrosion. Everything looked ok, tiny bit of corrosion on 2 pins of the cable but it tested ok so I decide to put back together and try to scource the part.
All back together - now says key not recognised, changed fob battery and tried placing under console but same message, then new message - smartkey back up error (or something similar) so I plug in SDD to check things out. Whenever I try to follow instruction I get to "place ignition to position 2" but on pressing starter button, same message - key not recognised...
How do techs get around this issue? The twist is that when I tried the second key (never used, kept in wallet with documents) it is a dummy, no transponder inside, so I only ever had one key...
I am using SDD 160, it runs seamlessly but doesn't seem to have an option to program key from scratch...
Any help much appreciated
James.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
@PeteA this is similar to the issue reported by Pete and requires the CJB/RJB to be recoded, if you search the threads you will find a few with similar problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@PeteA this is similar to the issue reported by Pete and requires the CJB/RJB to be recoded, if you search the threads you will find a few with similar problem.
Cheers, I'd an idea that they were integral to curing the fault. I just can't do much with the instruction to put the key in position two(ignition on, engine off) as the message key not recognised pops up on the dash.
I am probably doing something wrong with SDD so just need a few pointers and a possible walk through.
I think I've already read that thread and many more (spent too many hours trawling the internet) but I can't find a solution to this problem of having no key recognised.
Also, there is no evidence of water ingress front or rear...
Thanks again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Pete.
Sadly, I tried that already but no joy.
The SDD reads my VIN number ok and it works with other things that don't require the ignition or engine on but how do I carry out the instuction - switch to position two - when the igition won't switch on?
Thanks,
James.
PS. It's probably obvious that I have never used any diagnostic software before so I might be choosing incorrect menus or maybe using the wrong software version?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update - Just found out from my son in law (who was "helping") that he didn't disconnect the main battery when he removed the dual battery fuse box which is when the key problem was added to the battery not charging...

·
Registered
8,573 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
And it's also very important to remember to move the keys away to a safe distance, it's so easy to forget to do that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed just now that when I tried to verify my key, the key is found but fails verification. It seems to fail at download of software stage even though I have an active internet. I noticed that the dealer info in the top right corner is in red (no dealer info filled in) Does anyone with SDD knowledge know if this is stopping the download of software?
I have a screenshot of the diagnosis screen when first connected

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for everyone's input so far, you've either given me or pointed towards some progress.
I now have a working key, locks working and engine running again, just the original fault on dash - BATTERY NOT CHARGING - so I need to find the fault causing this now. The battery has been replaced and a new alternator fitted, every fuse checked and the dual battery fuse box plugs cleaned and harness checked for continuity. The original session on SDD suggested the probable (100%) diagnosis - dual battery fuse box so I will run another session later to double check. If this is the case, what is the procedure to reprogram the new one? Obviously I now have the battery disconnect knowledge and the removal/fitting is a doddle... I would rather not go down this road again, reprogramming modules etc, it's too scary :).
Again sincere thanks to all and if anyone else wants to chip in, feel free .
James.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't had a chance to do any more yet (self employed :() but noticed that the audio/video symbol is greyed out on the display and the satnav just says initialising. probably an update needed or something but when I tried to update the amplifier/audio yesterday it asks for a usb to be inserted?
The reset of the cjb/rjb really do reset everything!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi again.
Not had much time to play but had a quick drive this morning before work. It seems there are a few things not working (apart from battery not charging), the phone does nothing, rear parking sensor beep (warning works on screen), satnav initialising but getting nowhere after 15 mins and audio/video symbol greyed out. There might be other things I've not noticed yet.
The car locks, starts, electric steering column adjusts properly and it even remembered the programmed seat positions...
I'm a bit confused as to what to look at in SDD and what to reconfigure (I've already done the CJB/RJB)... Is there an order in which to do these things? Are you supposed to start a new session each time SDD loads or continue with previous session? Diagnostics or service menu (or do they lead to same thing)
Anyone with SDD experience, a nod in the right direction would be most gratefully received.
Many thanks again to all.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
2,001 Posts
Hi again.
Not had much time to play but had a quick drive this morning before work. It seems there are a few things not working (apart from battery not charging), the phone does nothing, rear parking sensor beep (warning works on screen), satnav initialising but getting nowhere after 15 mins and audio/video symbol greyed out. There might be other things I've not noticed yet.
The car locks, starts, electric steering column adjusts properly and it even remembered the programmed seat positions...
I'm a bit confused as to what to look at in SDD and what to reconfigure (I've already done the CJB/RJB)... Is there an order in which to do these things? Are you supposed to start a new session each time SDD loads or continue with previous session? Diagnostics or service menu (or do they lead to same thing)
Anyone with SDD experience, a nod in the right direction would be most gratefully received.
Many thanks again to all.
run a diagnosis, then read DTC and from top choose recommendations see what is there. You could update modules there. Try not to program them as new module unless update doesn’t work. The usb is because the head unit (controls audio, sat nav and BT) is updated via usb under arm rest. So it prepares the usb the. Gives you instructions. You will probably need a power supply because it takes 10-20mins to load it. I cannot remember the correct wording now. If you go to recommendation you should see it. Something like audio control module.
I don’t have a second battery but there is a function there to reprogram BMS. Do you have access to the workshop manual available somewhere in the forum? Also wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brilliant, makes sense. Just to be clear, do I use a blank formatted usb pen and it writes to it? I have a power supply coming tomorrow (was using a second car battery but keep having to check/charge). I'm at work atm but will give this a go tomorrow as I have a free morning.
I'm extremely grateful for the input, I'll update when I get through the next stage.
Cheers,
James.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I now have a working key, locks working and engine running again, just the original fault on dash - BATTERY NOT CHARGING - so I need to find the fault causing this now. The battery has been replaced and a new alternator fitted, every fuse checked and the dual battery fuse box plugs cleaned and harness checked for continuity. The original session on SDD suggested the probable (100%) diagnosis - dual battery fuse box so I will run another session later to double check. If this is the case, what is the procedure to reprogram the new one?
Wow you've come so far getting it starting again, and locking. I'm sure others would like to know the sequence of stuff you have to do to get that working, if you have time to post a list.
Do the wipers and washers work OK? ( I've heard that is often a problem after reprogramming the CJB, that can only be fixed by using a flash programmer directly on the CJB )

Have you checked the small wire that goes from the BMS ( on the negative terminal on the battery, it's kind of hidden under the negative cable on the sportbrake )?, it's apparently very fragile and often gets broken when changing the battery.
Perhaps the hard disk has failed in your sat nav unit, ( lots of info on the nav unit in this thread. ) and more potential recovery suggestions over here. Hard disk failure will affect audio due to the virtual CD changer on hard disk, though I'm not sure to what extent.

There are no data buses to the dual battery junction box ( just to be clear the one under the small battery ), so I imagine it doesn't require any programming. ( Though it has a FET in it used as a diode and to measure current so potentially there could be a calibration required for the gateway module, but I doubt it )

There are no doubt charging system diagnostic functions/tests in SDD too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow you've come so far getting it starting again, and locking. I'm sure others would like to know the sequence of stuff you have to do to get that working, if you have time to post a list.
Do the wipers and washers work OK? ( I've heard that is often a problem after reprogramming the CJB, that can only be fixed by using a flash programmer directly on the CJB )

Not sure I'm qualified to do a list, I've sort of muddled my way through :), I'll certainly try when I get to the end. Just been to check, front wipers work but no washer, rear washer or wiper does not :(...

Have you checked the small wire that goes from the BMS ( on the negative terminal on the battery, it's kind of hidden under the negative cable on the sportbrake )?, it's apparently very fragile and often gets broken when changing the battery.

Yes, wire intact and also replaced module on negative lead.

Perhaps the hard disk has failed in your sat nav unit, ( lots of info on the nav unit in this thread. ) and more potential recovery suggestions over here. Hard disk failure will affect audio due to the virtual CD changer on hard disk, though I'm not sure to what extent.

I'll check these out.

There are no data buses to the dual battery junction box ( just to be clear the one under the small battery ), so I imagine it doesn't require any programming. ( Though it has a FET in it used as a diode and to measure current so potentially there could be a calibration required for the gateway module, but I doubt it )

There are no doubt charging system diagnostic functions/tests in SDD too.

Straight to the drawing board tomorrow...
I feel a little lost atm, hopefully things will continue on an upward curve :)
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
2,001 Posts
Doesn’t have to be blank. It uses less than 100MB. Being blank helps you find what’s going on. Like what’s added. I use 30A power supply. Output Voltage should be between 13.6v to 14.7v. Workshop manual recommends 50A. People had success with 20A or a healthy battery.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts