Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I live in a remote location in Canada's Arctic where the windchill last week was -56. It's so cold here that your eyes freeze shut when they tear up in the wind. I moved here 15 years ago to work and live. This summer I will retire and return to Toronto, Canada where I am from. Last summer in Toronto I purchased a 2017 XF Prestige 20D with cooled seats, the 8" screen and 20" rims. I was looking for a "comfortable" car with AWD and good gas mileage. Global warming is expected to bring intense weather, and to Toronto more snow.

I thought about buying a Cadillac, BMW, Audi or Benz, but everyone seemed to have one and I wanted something different, and attractive. I followed a reputable used car dealer and came across the Jaguar, but it was a diesel which I read was loud. I drove it, heard the the engine and bought the car, without hesitation. It has 27,000 km, is in like-new condition and has 1.5 years remaining on the warranty.

Needless to say I am very happy with the car, and my ex-girlfriend likes me again. Thanks to helpful information on here and other sites I am learning about owning and operating it. I plan to drive it mostly on highways and: avoid cold starts and short runs, keep the operating temperature up and change the oil. This summer's plan is to go on an epic 16,000 km road trip - south from Canada down the east coast to Florida, then west along the southern United States to California, and then north along the west coast to Vancouver, Canada, and finally back home through the Rockies. I haven't travelled much so this should be an experience for both me and the car!

·
Firm Rampant Member
11,840 Posts
Hello! I live in a remote location in Canada's Arctic where the windchill last week was -56. It's so cold here that your eyes freeze shut when they tear up in the wind. I moved here 15 years ago to work and live. This summer I will retire and return to Toronto, Canada where I am from. Last summer in Toronto I purchased a 2017 XF Prestige 20D with cooled seats, the 8" screen and 20" rims. I was looking for a "comfortable" car with AWD and good gas mileage. Global warming is expected to bring intense weather, and to Toronto more snow.

I thought about buying a Cadillac, BMW, Audi or Benz, but everyone seemed to have one and I wanted something different, and attractive. I followed a reputable used car dealer and came across the Jaguar, but it was a diesel which I read was loud. I drove it, heard the the engine and bought the car, without hesitation. It has 27,000 km, is in like-new condition and has 1.5 years remaining on the warranty.

Needless to say I am very happy with the car, and my ex-girlfriend likes me again. Thanks to helpful information on here and other sites I am learning about owning and operating it. I plan to drive it mostly on highways and: avoid cold starts and short runs, keep the operating temperature up and change the oil. This summer's plan is to go on an epic 16,000 km road trip - south from Canada down the east coast to Florida, then west along the southern United States to California, and then north along the west coast to Vancouver, Canada, and finally back home through the Rockies. I haven't travelled much so this should be an experience for both me and the car!
Welcome sir.....

We need photos...ex gf , the car or both.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Welcome!

Now that sounds like a proper road trip! Out of that I've only done a large part of the PCH / Highway 1 and that alone is epic and one of the most beautiful drives I've done. That engine and not least its gas mileage must be great for that kind of trip too, given the relaxed way of driving in the US.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking for to the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) drive. Thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DAVENN. Thank you kind Sir for introducing yourself. I thought your comment was funny!
MajorTom: thanks for reaching out.
I'm still learning how to use this system and couldn't figure out how to PM you both. I'll ask admin for guidance and hopefully catch on. I received some replies from Admin already but couldn't reply to them either.*

·
Registered
564 Posts
Please allocate some EXTRA time for Vancouver, more so Vancouver Island if possible......utterly superb....! At least five nights in Jasper in the Rockies too.......Mount Robson Inn motel very clean and reasonable break and bedfast......take a buggy out on Jasper Golf and Country Club just for the views.
Them Rockies make our Benjamin Nevis look like a pimple on the map......lol....! Outerwear MUST have a minimum of 74 pockets and 19 zips to qualify you as a serious hill walker......!

·
Super Moderator
11,004 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brian, a neighbour and family moved to Vancouver Island in the 1980's and love it there, we keep in touch.

Only been to USA twice, Route 66 Chicago to LA 2,500 miles and the other was PCH, LA to San Francisco then back via Yosemite. All fantastic

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Sounds interesting!

Out of interest, why is the photo of your car titled "Blue Jaguar Structural Damage Assessment", has it been a crash or something which the dealer has not told you about?

·
Registered
17,190 Posts
Hi Brian. Welcome to the forum.
Another here with a Canadian link . . . I have a cousin who lives in Airdrie, just north of Calgary.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺

·
17,728 Posts
Welcome Brian,
sounds like you got yourself a nice example there - I'll let your mind decide what I'm on about ;)

That trip is going to be some amount of miles covered.

You could turn it into a wee (ahem) travelogue. We like pictures here :p

It'll give you a chance to show us the best of Canada and the U.S.

Oh - you'll soon get the jist of the forum. Ask a question, or put a point of view across, but once its answered (usually fairly quickly), expect the tangents to start hitting.
Its part of the charm of the place:)

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Hello & welcome. Great car for an epic trip, enjoy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds interesting!

Out of interest, why is the photo of your car titled "Blue Jaguar Structural Damage Assessment", has it been a crash or something which the dealer has not told you about?
Good eye ninja. The dealer disclosed to me that the car had been in an accident and sustained minor cosmetic damage to the rear side panel. To be safe I had a bodyshop assess the bodywork and frame alignment. The frame was normal and the repair was unnoticeable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Singh and idrobbo. It's a pleasure to be on this site. Rigger it could be a while before I catch on. I've been out of the loop for some time. I promise to post photos of the journey. John I managed somehow to get a PM to you. It was your article on oil extraction that precipitated my membership. I had the oil, air filter and fuel filter changed at a dealership after buying the car and paid over $1,200. The receipt is in the car which is storage so I don't remember exactly what I paid and I couldn't look when I signed for the payment, which came close to the estimate. . GeoffW I will be sure to stop in Vancouver and then hopefully ride a golf cart in Jasper as BigKev suggests. Thanks for helpful link Lofty. I hope I included everyone.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Welcome Brian. You have a great car for the trip.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Welcome Brian. That’s some trip you have planned and it should be fun in the new car! Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts