Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to replace the heated and cooled seat ecu on my drivers seat as it's failed,have a brand new one and asked the dealer where it's located and they provided a diagram which shows it mounted under the seat at the very front,however I don't think it's correct.Think it may be located on the floor at the front of the seat where there is a step in the floor height if that makes any sense ,think there's a post on here with ontole who did a retro fit using the same seats,obviously knowing the exact location would be a massive help.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Going to replace the heated and cooled seat ecu on my drivers seat as it's failed,have a brand new one and asked the dealer where it's located and they provided a diagram which shows it mounted under the seat at the very front,however I don't think it's correct.Think it may be located on the floor at the front of the seat where there is a step in the floor height if that makes any sense ,think there's a post on here with ontole who did a retro fit using the same seats,obviously knowing the exact location would be a massive help.
There was a post very recently that showed it under the seat attached to the box section of where the seat bolted down. It was on the seat side and not the pedal football side. Had FoMoCo labeling and when he went to replace it he found the 2 plugs were loose or had come out and simply plugging back in resolved it. Might not have been on here, could have been a XF page on Facebook but I r remember seeing it in last few days.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
737 Posts
Found it on a Facebook page, hope it helps.
Screenshot_20210113-200246_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210113-200259_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brilliant,thanks very much for the info and pictures.Im assuming the last picture is looking under the seat from the front and it looks like the seat is still in the car,not sure.Many thanks again.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Brilliant,thanks very much for the info and pictures.Im assuming the last picture is looking under the seat from the front and it looks like the seat is still in the car,not sure.Many thanks again.

the seat is unbolted and tipped back to expose the carpet which needs to be pulled up to see the module above

BB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the seat is unbolted and tipped back to expose the carpet which needs to be pulled up to see the module above

BB
Brilliant,thanks very much for that.Going to attempt this tommorow weather permitting.Would it be best to disconnect the negative lead on the battery before unplugging the cables on the module and obviously when fitting the new one?

·
Registered
436 Posts
always advisable , it will prevent rogue faults appearing ,

ensure you dont shut the boot with the battery disconnected, no way of opening it if you see what i mean, place something in the way to stop it closing, a blanket or thick coat, something soft...

undo the rear bolts first, motor the seat back and undo the front bolts, then gently lean the seat back ,

dont forget to remove the seatbelt fixing to the seat if you want to remove from the car completly

hope it gets sorted easily

BB

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Or just trip the boot latch with a screwdriver so the boot even if lowered can't shut.

·
Registered
10,658 Posts
always advisable , it will prevent rogue faults appearing ,

ensure you dont shut the boot with the battery disconnected, no way of opening it if you see what i mean, place something in the way to stop it closing, a blanket or thick coat, something soft...

undo the rear bolts first, motor the seat back and undo the front bolts, then gently lean the seat back ,

dont forget to remove the seatbelt fixing to the seat if you want to remove from the car completly

hope it gets sorted easily

BB
You could always use the keyblade to open if battery failure

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for your help and advice,much appreciated and I'll be sure to heed the warnings,don't want to get locked out of the boot.Was going to do this today but it's snowing heavily here,have a good size garage but it's not heated so it's going to get done another day.Thanks again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right then,bit of an update.Fitted the new ecu this morning and checked everything and refitted the seat back in the car and it's still not working.Checked the ducting on the two peltiers and they are ok as is the wiring,no breaks as far as I can see and the ducting is not split.As an exercise I altered the settings on the seats just for the seat backs,passenger works ok,drivers seat when set on heat is blowing cold,fan running and works on the cool setting.Set back to heating/cooling on the drivers seat and the cooling works fine but set to heat fan runs a short while then stops but is not heating.Very frustrating as my indi said it was definitely the heating and cooling ecu that was at fault,obviously not.Waste of £151 and my time fitting it.The only thing I haven't done is plug my Icarsoft v2 in and cleared any fault codes,though I doubt that's the issue.Really don't know where to go next apart from back to my indi.Will plug my code reader in and see.By the way all the filters are clean so it's not that either.

·
Registered
436 Posts
well thats a pain.......:(

strange that it tries, and gives up , like its not getting a response its expecting, or something ?

dont really know how to go from here

BB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Me neither,I'm at a compleat dead end.Looked and looked at everything to no avail.Will plug in the icarsoft in the morning and see if there are any faults,clear any if there is and see what that yields but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Wrong thread - Please delete..

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I have exactly the same fault as you describe.

More than likely the thermistor inside one of the peltier units which has failed and showing an overheat condition and shutting down the heated/cooled seats unit.

You'll need to read the jaguar specific codes to work out which one it is. It resets itself on each shutdown of the ignition too.

You'll also probably have to swap it between back only and back and base heating (on the climate settings screen). This will help you determine which one it is.

Then you'll have to take the seat out and replace the unit. They're handed for left and right so unfortunately you can't just swap one for the other.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried the back only and on heat setting it still blows cold air dont know if a failed Peltier in the base would cause this,had the seat back off yesterday to check the ducting wasn't cracked,its not.Think it's the seat base that's failed although on cool setting this works as it should on the base and back,it's only when heat is required that it won't work.Passenger side is perfect and I have fitted a brand new heated and cooled seat ecu as my indi told me that was the problem,obviously it isn't.Think a new peltier is about £300 so not cheap.This is getting really frustrating now,wanted my car fixing whilst it was having a new alternator fitted as I'd reported the seat problem at the time of booking the car in,only to be told I'd have to re book for the seat in another three weeks time,not happy with that at all.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Yes, allegedly the cooling circuit will still work as the thermistor isn't used or checked for the cooling side of things, but on the heat setting it will initialise and then realise the thermistor is showing the seat as too hot, throw up a fault code and then shutdown the whole system.
Then probably not work again at all until the ignition is cycled.
Sounds exactly the same issue as mine.

I'm awaiting a second hand unit (100 quid abouts) from the good old USA in a week or two so sit tight and I might be able to give you more information.

Once I get the second hand unit, I might even be able to figure out a repair.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just read on a Rangerover forum of people having exactly the same problem as this system was used in those too.Its exactly the same fault and from what I can see it's always the seat back heater that fails that causes it.Anyway I'll wait in anticipation and See how you get on,good look.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just read on a Rangerover forum of people having exactly the same problem as this system was used in those too.Its exactly the same fault and from what I can see it's always the seat back heater that fails that causes it.Anyway I'll wait in anticipation and See how you get on,good look.
Here's the site,well worth a read.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a bit more info for you,the seat back unit is the one with the thermeister in it,this is what heats up,the seat base is just a peltier fan,air is blown from the seat back and again the seat base to provide warming to it.This would explain why when this fails there's no heat produced and the fan in the base shuts down to protect itself.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts