Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My XF has both headlight washers failing to spray water. Strangely the water pressure is able to extend both washer arms but no water flows out. I've taken the ends off to check/unblock the nozzles but they are clear and water doesn't even flow out with them removed. No puddles of water from leaks either. Think this is a bumper off and 2x new washer jet units needed? 馃

Registered
They must be internally blocked? I'd take one off and see if you can strip it and unbung it before ordering new ones? Have you been using cheap washer fluid or mixing brands? When I get a new (used) car, I drain the washer fluid by syphon and chuck it, fill with water, flush, syphon that then fill with my favourite berry scented Halfords brand and only ever refill with that. I've had problems over the years with blockages and semi-solids forming for no apparent reason, since being anal and sticking to the one brand, no issues in over 15 years.

Reactions: Popeye

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think you're right. They are blocked on the inside. I'll take bumper off and see if anything can be done. These haven't worked since I got the car but I've drained and refilled the tank at least now as I was replacing the windscreen washer pump. I had the issue with the pump plug pins corroding in the front fuse board, stopping it working. There is a theory the pump leaks then water travels inside the wire via capillary action all the way to the fuse board. Fortunately my pins were salvagable after a clean up and the windscreen pump now works. Just need to sort these light washers now!
Hood Grille Office equipment Bumper Automotive design

Registered
Ah yes, the dreaded capillary destruction of the CJB. Glad you spotted and caught your's before the CJB was destroyed. Have you put a physical water break in the cables from the windscreen washer pump, as advised in the Jaguar TSB? Else it may continue again. I'd also keep an eye on that plug and pins in the CJB as the water is now in the cable and may continue to seep, even after the addition of the additional connectors in the wires to break the physical path.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd never come across water travelling along the inside of wires before! I've decided to check the board every month for a while and re-clean if needed. I know it can be expensive if the board dies. I was going to put a bullet connector in when I changed the screen pump but I don't want one in the wheel arch where it may get wet itself. I'd sooner have it inside the car by the fuse board but haven't done it yet. I'm sort of hoping the new pump will stop this issue for good 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that 馃憤 I'll put a break in the cable for peace of mind. So glad mine wasn't terminal by the time I found it. Should be one of the 1st checks if you buy one of the model years affected.

Registered
Hi All,

My XF has both headlight washers failing to spray water. Strangely the water pressure is able to extend both washer arms but no water flows out. I've taken the ends off to check/unblock the nozzles but they are clear and water doesn't even flow out with them removed. No puddles of water from leaks either. Think this is a bumper off and 2x new washer jet units needed? 馃
Would seem odd for both nozzles to fail at the same time ( though I suppose they have had exactly the same amount of use ), perhaps the headlight washer pump is too weak ( not enough pressure ) to open the jets, just theorizing here, but as they are extended by water pressure, it may be they have one spring to retract the whole nozzle and in order to get enough pressure up to extend the nozzle against that spring, also have a spring loaded valve that only opens after a specific pressure is reached ( i.e. after they're fully extended. )

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is weird. To find out I'll have to take the bumper off and experiment with them. The last owner seems to have left all the maintenance for me 馃槄 - So maybe they actually failed a few years apart but both came pre-failed for my ownership. I've booked a day off this week to have a look.

Registered
Should be checked on an MOT for the bulbs - I noticed last week that my right hand side is coming out - but no water - need to get it sorted

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I flushed mine through with a hand pump and although they would work under that higher pressure they still wouldn't work on the car. Apart from flushing them there isn't much else you can do to them so I've ordered two new ones for mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts