Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my car has been behaving itself up till this morning when the display came up with gearbox fault along with park break fault.
Its a 2012 2.2d still with the original battery so I'm leaning towards that but would there be anything else worth a look before I order a new battery.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
When I bought my car it showed similar faults when looking at it at the garage. Was just a low battery, once charged it didn't appear again. Presumably you car doesn't start or lights dim etc when you try to start? Also assume if you have radio on without engine running it shuts off after 3 mins with a warning it is conserving battery power? All these point to the battery. You can check battery voltage with a cheap multimeter - it should be around 12.5v and around 14.5v when the engine is running, which shows alternator is charging. It could be the alternator at fault, but chances are at 8 years old it will be the battery.

Check the type of battery needed - if you have start/stop you will probably need an AGM battery. There is some info on here about swapping the battery and possible issues that can arise, so worth a search. Also, you will need to reset the windows and parking brake, which is simple stuff. New battery should be 'coded' to the car, so it knows it has a new battery, but many, inc myself haven't done this, without any obvious issues, as the Battery Control Module should resets itself eventually.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This sort of weather shows up a weak battery, but it would be worth giving it a good charge to see.
You can charge it on the car but put the negative connection to the chassis where the battery negative goes also try not to let the voltage go above 14.7 volts. As antF said above a cheap test meter is a very good idea. If the battery is below 12.5 after a day or so a new battery would be a good idea. Fully charged it should be 12.6 alternator should be 14.7.
If you change the battery look on this forum before you start, there is a lot of good info to avoid possible pitfalls.
If all this fails you may be looking at a CJB fault but hopefully the above will be the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This sort of weather shows up a weak battery, but it would be worth giving it a good charge to see.
You can charge it on the car but put the negative connection to the chassis where the battery negative goes also try not to let the voltage go above 14.7 volts. As antF said above a cheap test meter is a very good idea. If the battery is below 12.5 after a day or so a new battery would be a good idea. Fully charged it should be 12.6 alternator should be 14.7.
If you change the battery look on this forum before you start, there is a lot of good info to avoid possible pitfalls.
If all this fails you may be looking at a CJB fault but hopefully the above will be the issue.
What causes the water ingress? I replaced the washer pump not long after I bought it as it became inoperative.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Water can wick through the wiring of the washer pump and into the junction box where it corrodes the fine pins on the connectors. If you search for this you will see which plug in the CJB is affected and can check it is OK by unplugging it and looking for corrosion. As well as replacing the pump with an updated version, a splice is added to the wire to prevent the wicking. Water can affect the rear junction box by getting into the boot, usually through the slam vents situated under the rear lights, behind the bumper. In my experience, the seals degrade and allow water to trickle in. There's no boot drain, so it just slowly fills up, under the spare wheel area and around the battery. Just lift the boot floor panel and have a look in the gap next to the battery to see if you can see any water. These vents (seals not available as part) are replaced from inside the boot with little disassembly and quite low cost (£20ish). Bumper does not need to be removed and rear light can stay in place, but for the sake of a few nuts, it makes it a bit easier.

·
Registered
510 Posts
AntF as got it again Hopefully we are both wrong

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi had the same faults "gearbox fault park brake fault dsc not available brake lights not working etc" suspected brake switch , changed with no joy ,did not think it was corrosion of the cjb as the car is a classic and opinion is it only occurs with the facelift models took it to my indie guy and guess what ! Yep corrosion . He managed to clean it up as it was not too bad and replaced the washer pump which has cleared the faults. So I would check that out. .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts