Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was torn as to which forum to post in as it covers brakes and transmission....

A spirited getaway from a junction a few days resulted in a bit of DSC intervention followed by a Park Brake Fault caption a bit later. The next day when starting the car it reported Gearbox Fault, DSC unavailable and Park Brake Fault. It now seems to have settled down to Park Brake Fault only.

Having searched the forums, it would seem that it is likely to be either a failing battery or a faulty brake pedal switch.

I purchased a cheap ELM327 bluetooth plugin to see if I could get any codes from the OBDII port, but despite the Park Brake Caption being on, there are no codes detected through the Torque Pro app.

So, is there a way of milking the system to read the codes and if so what should I be looking for to narrow down the cause?

Founder member
Battery so there won't be any codes

Registered
First thing I'd check is the positive and negative wires are snug.

If you have your foot, even slightly, on the brake when also on the accelerator it can throw a park brake error.

Registered
No cheap ELM327 like device will show you those codes. Easy to see though if the battery is worn. Also it's age could be a factor to think of it as the culprit.

Registered
Cheapest option is the brake pedal switch. No more than 拢30.
Then the battery. I replaced the battery first and it made no difference.

Registered
Hey Bee :)
I got the same thing somethings I get parking brake error...

D3GGY showed me the part but I never got around to fix it!
Can I do that at the dealer and if so is it a big job?

Cheapest option is the brake pedal switch. No more than 拢30.
Then the battery. I replaced the battery first and it made no difference.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It now seems to have settled down to just the park brake fault showing. Have checked the battery connections and they are all sound although I suspect that the battery is the original one (Car coming up to 7 years old). Do only Jaguar main dealers have the kit/software to read codes or can my local garage read it with their kit?

Registered
Would you not disconnect the battery for 3-4 hours then reset the park brake when it asks at first startup?

If it's the brake pedal switch then it may not reset the parking brake and you might conclude that the switch needs replaced first?

if that doesn't get rid of the error then go down the battery change route?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did wonder about resetting the parking brake to see if that helps. I understand that the windows need to be reset after that as well - any other things to reset after that?

Registered
When my battery started failing, I got the park brake error message even while driving on the highway.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Typical - fault message has now cleared. Will continue to monitor for now.....

Administrator
Milder weather could be helping the battery voltage recover?

Registered
Hi Guys, big problems with a gearbox error on MY 2008. I have had the NO DSC light come on a few time and had the restricted performance message, but as soon as I stopped and switched off, then re-start all was well again...until now! I had a noise from the back end like the screech of worn brake pads (Not fitted with brake pad sensors). Then the engine management light came on as did the gearbox fault. The discs looked worn (Major ridges) and so I bought new ones with pads and fitted them thinking that this will sort it. but no chance. It says that the parking brake is not set and the car is not in P position, but it is. I reset the park brake by disconnecting the battery for 15 seconds, but the same fault appears (Not in park). Now i cant start the car. I put the key into the slot under the dash and now it wont let me take it out because its not in P (But it is)...Could all these issues be the brake switch causing me all these issues? Any advice please?

Registered
AA or RAC? If you have reset the electrics by disconnecting the battery, there is not much more you can do at home.

Maybe disconnect the battery again but for longer? And we're assuming that the brake replacement worked fine, and there are no broken handbrake cables ( only asking as these are nine years old now) , as if the brake warning has only happened since replacement, ... Then some thing there is the cause.

It is possible that You now may well have two separate faults.
One brake related, and the other somewhere in the electronics which is throwing up the DSC/gearbox/engine faults and now leading to the non starting scenario. Did the DSC warning come with spirited driving ? Or is there a problem with a hub sensor throwing up a duff reading?

BTW, How old is the battery, if not new, can it be removed and checked ? A duff battery can throw up all sorts of gremlins. One morning, all the faults appeared one by one as red warnings on mine. A new battery and they were never seen again.maybe that's your first place to start.

Registered
AA or RAC? If you have reset the electrics by disconnecting the battery, there is not much more you can do at home.

Maybe disconnect the battery again but for longer? And we're assuming that the brake replacement worked fine, and there are no broken handbrake cables ( only asking as these are nine years old now) , as if the brake warning has only happened since replacement, ... Then some thing there is the cause.

It is possible that You now may well have two separate faults.
One brake related, and the other somewhere in the electronics which is throwing up the DSC/gearbox/engine faults and now leading to the non starting scenario. Did the DSC warning come with spirited driving ? Or is there a problem with a hub sensor throwing up a duff reading?

BTW, How old is the battery, if not new, can it be removed and checked ? A duff battery can throw up all sorts of gremlins. One morning, all the faults appeared one by one as red warnings on mine. A new battery and they were never seen again.maybe that's your first place to start.
Thanks for the advice.
The DSC warning has happened on two or three occasions, 1 when joined the m4 from an on slip and another on a slow B road...not spirited driving at all.
Stop /Start and all was well again.
All before the brake gremlins started.
The battery was replaced just last year, I'll called a recovery guy out but he had mixed messages from their control room to say I had a flat battery. He put his booster pack on it but all was fine. He didn't bring a diagnostic kit with him (he's just the recovery guy). Annoyingly, my car is parked on a tricky rear drive which needs a bit of driving back and forth to get it out, hence no recovery on a truck is possible.
The hand brake problem did go away, but after disconnecting the battery over night, it's now back and says it can't apply brake. I will try the method recommended earlier by disconnecting to wires in the boot later.
It is possible there is more than one fault, but it seems that the main culprit is the 'not in park' gremlin (evil fkr). I didn't have that before changing the discs and pads. I know it's definitely in park , I have a growler on top of the stick which is in the right position to tell me it is.
The car is an older one but only has 74k on it.
Does this help??

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, update.
Took it to my local garage after all the earlier faults have now reappeared permanently. Codes included one for the brake switch, so brake switch duly replaced. Fault still apparent so battery tested (I know, should have done that first) and that suggested a weak battery. So battery replaced and despite my best efforts I ended up with the car disconnected. First start ok, but didn't quite follow the brake reset procedure and it was also still showing a gearbox fault. Decided to disconnect the battery to properly reset the brake and was then greeted by red captions for 'cannot apply parking brake', so was unable to reset the brake. Tried disconnecting again and same problem. Will try a bit later once I have stopped fuming.... Any other ideas?

Registered
Hi, did you have the faults cleared, difficult to determine if all the old faults are still present. Phil

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A bit late, but an update on this. Fault eventually traced to a corroded connector block under the dashboard. Not much for parts, but a lot of labour!

Registered
I get DCS not available, Emergency Brake Assistant not available, Park Brake Fault and cruise not available all pop up when I try to do anything too quickly with the gear box. I.e. reverse back, then flick into D and try to get going all in a hurry. I miss a manual gearbox!!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 80 Posts