Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
XF, 2008, 2.7d, Premium Luxury, Metallic Ultimate Black
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just come back from a 20min drive and noticed that the red light on the gear selector stopped working. Changing from D to S and no light coming through to show which setting I was in.

Parked in my drive with the engine one and cycled through from P to S and the light would intermittently flicker on / off.
The car does go into whatever gear selected so I think it’s just an electrical issue.
Anyone else had this before? I searched the forum but couldn’t find anything (my searching skills may be pants...)

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,260 Posts
Sounds like a dry joint on the pcb , not something I’ve read before though, but if your handy with a soldering iron , a easy fix

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a dry joint on the pcb , not something I’ve read before though, but if your handy with a soldering iron , a easy fix
Cheers Gav - I am handy with a soldering iron but thick as dog turd when it comes to car lingo - what’s a pcb?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Cheers Gav - I am handy with a soldering iron but thick as dog turd when it comes to car lingo - what’s a pcb?
Printed Circuit Board

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Just need to get at it..... Try giving it a thump, you know, the old fashioned fix method.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Lol so not just thick on car lingo but any lingo it seems.

Cheers mate(y)
I deal with electronics at work and people ask the same, if you say board they understand, just many don't get PCB.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Amrit

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just need to get at it..... Try giving it a thump, you know, the old fashioned fix method.
Haha I did give it a couple of whacks - maybe I’ll get the hammer out Clarkson style :unsure:

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Haha I did give it a couple of whacks - maybe I’ll get the hammer out Clarkson style :unsure:
Sounds like he needs Thor - where is he when he's wanted (@G6hbq )

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,470 Posts
Hi All,

Just come back from a 20min drive and noticed that the red light on the gear selector stopped working. Changing from D to S and no light coming through to show which setting I was in.

Parked in my drive with the engine one and cycled through from P to S and the light would intermittently flicker on / off.
The car does go into whatever gear selected so I think it’s just an electrical issue.
Anyone else had this before? I searched the forum but couldn’t find anything (my searching skills may be pants...)
No issues with red led but the flickering happens to white led in some situations (R or N). Like when I go from R to D within 10sec. Seems to me GSM waits for some confirmation from TCU. Considering the light is not moving, each one has a separate led. I would check if them changes are shown on the cluster correctly first before touching GSM. Also I won’t judge based on switching through gears while stationary. TCU might decide not to follow some of them to protect itself and led won’t show up if it’s not confirmed. See if it happens while actually moving and it might take a few seconds to show up.
a video will be more explanatory.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No issues with red led but the flickering happens to white led in some situations (R or N). Like when I go from R to D within 10sec. Seems to me GSM waits for some confirmation from TCU. Considering the light is not moving, each one has a separate led. I would check if them changes are shown on the cluster correctly first before touching GSM. Also I won’t judge based on switching through gears while stationary. TCU might decide not to follow some of them to protect itself and led won’t show up if it’s not confirmed. See if it happens while actually moving and it might take a few seconds to show up.
It initially happened while I was driving - moving from D to S and back - it registered the gear changes near the speed dial, just the light was flickering and then died out.

Sod’s law that as I try this morning to get a video the problem didn’t occur and the gears light up as normal...

If it happens again I’ll take a vid for you guys. Thanks again for the good advice :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, you have white LEDs on the gear selector unit? Mine are all red...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The selected one is red, others light up white.
Man I never knew that - going to have to check that out tonight. Always thought the others were ‘blank’...

·
Registered
498 Posts
i had this issue, well it started like that, turned out there was a break in the module supply wiring, started really intermittent, then it died , its fed from the fusebox in the engine bay , i had to run a replacement wire and now its all good

just be aware

BB

Reactions: Amrit and hamedhbb

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
It initially happened while I was driving - moving from D to S and back - it registered the gear changes near the speed dial, just the light was flickering and then died out.

Sod’s law that as I try this morning to get a video the problem didn’t occur and the gears light up as normal...

If it happens again I’ll take a vid for you guys. Thanks again for the good advice :)
Reading this I agree with others. It sounds like led itself is on the way out though.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,260 Posts
Man I never knew that - going to have to check that out tonight. Always thought the others were ‘blank’...
I didn’t either, I assumed it only light up red when selected, and off when not

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Letters change to red as well as indicator when selected. Indicator is off when not selected but letters remain dimmed white. Like a backlight but it is led because each letter switches off, then turns red. Or turns off from red, then turns white individually for each letter.

edit:
I couldn’t replicate that delay in changing colours tonight. I am sure it happened before because I was cleaning the interior. I did spray GSM to take the dirt out of grooves and it’s a cold winter night. So it probably could have something to do with cleaning PCB!

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
If they're all doing it then I'd suggest all the LEDs have a common ground on the PCB and it's that which is getting a bit that way.

Isn't the release solenoid subject to dry PCB joints too which is easily fixed?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but GSM is a part of keyless entry system and has to be coded to the car. So be careful when working on it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts