Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always liked gadgets. Obviously would prefer factory fitted, but I've added a couple of bits and pieces that I think improve the car in one way or another, including a Jag emblem for the gear selector to match the one on the front of the car, a boot lip carbon fibre spoiler (partly to hide a bit of paint damage on the boot lid), and larger carbon fibre gear change paddles which are great but are very close to the lights/wiper stalks.

I've got a plug in Bluetooth gadget so I can play Spotify from my phone through my car speakers (it also gives you a couple of USB ports and a battery level display too, neat little gadget for £15), and a simple car park ticket clip that sticks to the window - I missed the one I had on my Volvo.

But my favourite is one of the cheapest too - this little tray that goes over the cubby under the armrest. There's even a hole for access to the 12v socket:

Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Bumper

This is a nice little upgrade too for £15, especially if your car is black, as mine is. LED sequential indicators. Because they're black when not lit they blend in with the mirror casing perfectly:

Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting Rectangle Fashion accessory

Is there anything you added that was useful, looks great, or wish you'd never bought?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Fluffy dice that hang off the rear view mirror. My MoT bloke keeps telling me he'll fail it if I leave them in next time. Must get some new ones as some of the spots fell off :ROFLMAO:

Had the same indicators on my XF-S and also fitted similar to my XKR and F-Pace (the F-Pace uses a different design).

Brodit phone mounts in each of my cars.

Dash cam with built-in speed camera database with visual and audio speed warnings. Not needed on the F-Pace as the car automatically warns for speed cameras (most times).

Are LED bulbs a gadget? I just swapped the HID D1S bulbs on the XKR for LED units, a much nicer colour and instant on, unlike HUD. £80 mind you for a pair.

Don't need many gadgets on the F-Pace though as it has so much tech built-in, it is an S model and the original buyer went a bit nuts on the options list! ICT Pro, 360 cameras, HUD, Active Cruise Control etc.

Reactions: Coolcity

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've thought of a few more now. I've got a smaller phone mount that is custom 3D printed to fit in the single cup holder. It's not perfect, it does dislodge sometimes but I like the way you can just remove the phone and close the cover when you're done.

I bought a speed camera detector (Drivesmart Guardian) recently, having been done last year by an average speed camera - odd one as according to the time on the ticket it must have taken me 4 hours to do a 35-40 mile trip at an average of about 50mph all the way. (Ticket said 13:30, I arrived at my destination at 17:30, but had no way to prove it).

Swapped all the light bulbs out for LEDs, inside and out. Headlights cost me about £80 too but far better as mine only had the standard halogen - although apparently it's an MOT fail if LEDs are not originally fitted, but the garage who did my MOT recently never mentioned it.

I recently bought some wind deflectors, mostly to stop the screenwash dripping into the side window when I use the washers - probably the only thing that annoys me about the car. It didn't quite work, but they're a handy addition and look the part.

Also bought a reverse camera cheap from a mate of mine who never got around to fitting it to his car, but I can't really get used to it. I'm probably just used to the basic reverse sensors which was all I had on the last car, and the screen graphics do the job very well. Not a bad piece of kit all the same, wireless link between screen and camera means you only need to wire the camera in to the reverse lights. Auto Vox W7 Pro, I think they retail for around £120. Good option for anybody that wants an aftermarket camera but doesn't want the hassle of running wiring the length of the vehicle.

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,814 Posts
A gadget
: usually a small mechanical or electronic device with a practical use but often thought of as a novelty

Dashcams, not really a novelty these days...but I have a few scattered about the house, used as additional security cameras.
Alexa, not a novelty these days but used , mainly, for calendar, alarm and countdown timers.
Ring doorbell.. not a novelty these days but incredibly useful....and get used a lot.
Beerwulf beer tap..not a novelty these days ( notice how things that may have been classed as a novelty item a few years ago are now, often,, run of the mill ?) A faff..but a great gadget.
Resin pressure vessel,, a gadget?? Not sure but definitely a novelty to many but really useful and timesaving.
Snowfoam gun...yes definitely a gadget but, again, really useful.
Hottub vac. A gadget but very useful

Reactions: xfr-shrek

·
Registered
10,569 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for that, yes they are well worth it and that's actually less than I paid at the time, but do note that it doesn't include VAT on imported goods, post-Brexit.

If anybody wants the links for anything else just ask.

Storage isn't really any worse than anything else I've had, but the glovebox could have been a little bigger, and storage for a few tools in the spare wheel well. Then again, the more space there is the more junk you carry around with you.

I did buy this for the boot, for around £20:

Bag Luggage and bags Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Gadget

I know the font is a bit off which would have normally put me off, but since it's out of sight...but it's handy to have. There's a square shaped version too which might be better as the boot floor isn't flat at the sides and you need to remove it to get into the spare wheel compartment. I bought a roll of Velcro strip to keep it in place, it's never come loose yet.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Power boot and frunk kit count? - operate from car or app on Iphone - both genuinely useful, changed two red rear reflectors to illuminated with side lights and double up as sequential indicators - but not Jag

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
...Storage isn't really any worse than anything else I've had, but the glovebox could have been a little bigger...
Don't ever drive a late X-Type then.. bigger centre column cubby box with integrated hinged trinket tray, bigger door pockets without seat memory switches taking up room, storage below the door pull, bigger glove box and storage in front of the gear lever.. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't ever drive a late X-Type then.. bigger centre column cubby box with integrated hinged trinket tray, bigger door pockets without seat memory switches taking up room, storage below the door pull, bigger glove box and storage in front of the gear lever.. :)
I'd have liked a coin tray, just a little thing I was used to on the last car, but the tray accessory solved that problem. I would have preferred that they used the forward cup holder to house the 12v socket and ports, if only because that's closest to where the phone is to plug in the charger, but it's nit-picking really. My phone battery usually gets me through the day anyway, and long journeys are rare these days.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Power boot and frunk kit count? - operate from car or app on Iphone - both genuinely useful, changed two red rear reflectors to illuminated with side lights and double up as sequential indicators - but not Jag
Power boot would be useful. There is a hack on Youtube to adapt the boot lid to lift all the way up when you open it, but I having done that I could only get mine to lift around 8-10 inches - about the same as if I'd only done one side as shown on the Youtube video at 2:10. Maybe I need new struts, but here's the video link:

Jaguar XF Auto-Boot Opening Modification - YouTube

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought this little magnetic phone holder for £4 on Ebay which sits neatly inside the front storage cubby hole. It is stuck to the inside of the lid and holds the phone nicely and is out of sight when the cubby is closed. I can also plug the phone in if I open the cup holder bit so is good for using Waze sat nav on journeys.
Vehicle Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Car

Camera lens Digital camera Hood Gadget Reflex camera

Camera lens Reflex camera Digital camera Camera accessory Cameras & optics

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just remembered, I changed the alloys recently. Not really a gadget as such but amazing how different the appearance is with the new wheels, it has completely transformed the way the car looks.

I've also added some custom window blinds to the rear windows (not on this photo), which look as though they have had a dark tint added - but a lot cheaper than a professional tint, and removable.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Senta refurbished alloys, that cubbyhole thing, LED puddle lights, new aluminium discs for the cup holder (AliExpress: useless), seat coat hangers ( see before), jaguar armrest fridge, carplay, 3 additional 12v sockets each with a double high power usb charger, 240v socket in the boot, rear windows limo tint, Michelin PS4’s, private plate. Think that’s all

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,814 Posts
Senta refurbished alloys, that cubbyhole thing, LED puddle lights, new aluminium discs for the cup holder (AliExpress: useless), seat coat hangers ( see before), jaguar armrest fridge, carplay, 3 additional 12v sockets each with a double high power usb charger, 240v socket in the boot, rear windows limo tint, Michelin PS4’s, private plate. Think that’s all
All great.
But truly gadgets?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the sense that a gadget is something added, but not really needed : Yes
Yes, the point of the thread is to find out what other people have fitted that they find useful. Doesn't really matter if it's a gadget or not.

One other thing I bought is an LED strip light to replace to woeful tiny light in the boot. Nice little upgrade for under a tenner, easy 5 minute job to swap, sticks on to the frame more or less flush so no chance of catching it, and it's brilliant in the dark. I've even had a couple of people ask me what sort of light I have in the boot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, the point of the thread is to find out what other people have fitted that they find useful. Doesn't really matter if it's a gadget or not.

One other thing I bought is an LED strip light to replace to woeful tiny light in the boot. Nice little upgrade for under a tenner, easy 5 minute job to swap, sticks on to the frame more or less flush so no chance of catching it, and it's brilliant in the dark. I've even had a couple of people ask me what sort of light I have in the boot.
Can you link to the light please mate?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts